No announcement yet.

Caught up with "Sentimental Journey"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught up with "Sentimental Journey"...

At the Arlington (WA) fly in.

As has been reported, the two outboard engines (1 and 4) are Studebakers...

The airplane is BEAUTIFUL!

Here's a few pics...

More here...

B17
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Did the Studebaker 'Aviation Division' cease to exist with the end of WWII?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I picked up one of the engine plates on Ebay about 2 years ago. Its in great shape & the seller's grandfather had brought it back to the U.S from England during WW2. I wonder why Studebaker resurrected the famous wheel logo in the forties clearly shown on the plate after they had superceded it in the mid thirties for the Studebaker red ball design?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
      MELBOURNE.

Comment

I looked over "Nine'O'Nine" a few years ago. I believe three of the four engines were Studebakers.

Comment

Thanks for posting this Dick, really nice pictures of a magnificent plane.

Allen
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

She was supposed to arrive here at Roseburg on June 11, but never made it. We were told about the engine problem and I wondered if it was a Stude engine? Didn't know that they had her fixed until I read this post. BTW I used to go to the drags at the Arlington airport back in the '60s. Lots and lots of room. In those days we could park our cars right along the shutdown area, no barriers. Nobody worried about liability back then. The rails would go whizzing by and pop their chutes, it was very cool!
            Dean

CLEM

Comment

I took my Dad to see one of these Stude powered rascals when it flew in to Nashville a few years back. It was good for both of us, and I heard some stories he had not told me before. These planes are magnificent. Thanks, Mr Steinkamp, this forum is a good place to be reminded of good memories, John

Comment

Yes it is beautiful.
                1936 Dictator
                1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                1953 Commander Regal HT
                1953 2R5 Pickup
                1947 M16 Truck
                1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                1962 GT Hawk
                1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                1963 GT Hawk R2
                1964 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Geez! That first one did duty in a '60 Champ truck! A 5E10 model.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                  X