Studebaker NASCAR T shirts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker NASCAR T shirts?

Has anyone seen any Studebaker NASCAR shirts for sale? I got invited to spend a week at Bristol and sure would like to have a bullet-nose NASCAR shirt to wear at least one day.

According to my limited knowledge, Studebaker did very little NASCAR racing. Another Dawsonville, GA native, Gober Sosebee, raced some Studebakers in the mid-1950's, but I think it was MARC (now ARCA) rather than NASCAR. Gober got into an argument with the old man, Bill France, after being disqualified from a Daytona (beach course) win, and was banned from NASCAR. (On his last pit stop, he had the gas man jump into the trunk of his Four coupe and pour the gas into a port that he had built into the trunk. He won the race, but was disqualified. HIs defense was that there was nothing in the rule book that forbade it. In the course of the arguemtn, Gober supposedly said, "I have met your mother and she is a nice woman. You are, therefore, a self-made S.O.B.
    There are some old NASCAR race pictures of Daytona beach-racing that show at least one Studebaker. I believe 1951. Check with some of the vendors, such as Bondo Billy. They might have a caricature type racing shirt of bullet-nose Studebakers.
    I know you will enjoy the Bristol race, especially the night race. That race is second in popularity only to the Daytona 500.

Comment

Bondo Billy is trying to dig something up for me as we speek. I just thought I'd see if anyone knew of any. I had a photo of that dark colored '51 at Daytona (just coming off the beach) but it went bye-bye when the old computer puked.
      Thanks for your input, Sam!

Comment

Comment

I'll take one, but I need it fast: Dad's funeral (Francis Van Anne, former Studebaker dealer) is Friday July 27th here in Stockton. At the presentation of the gifts portion of the memorial we will be presenting symbolic gifts representing something important in his life. Dad was not only a Studebaker dealer/fan, but a NASCAR fan as well!
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
            I'll take one, but I need it fast: Dad's funeral (Francis Van Anne, former Studebaker dealer) is Friday July 27th here in Stockton. At the presentation of the gifts portion of the memorial we will be presenting symbolic gifts representing something important in his life. Dad was not only a Studebaker dealer/fan, but a NASCAR fan as well!
            A big Thank You to Bondo Billy! He has this photo on a Tee Shirt and it's already been shipped. Great service. Dad would have been very pleased!...I am.
            Lou Van Anne
            62 Champ
            64 R2 GT Hawk
            79 Avanti II

Comment

This is a good place for a reminder about Bob Coolidge's fine Studebakers in NASCAR presentation to be held Tuesday afternoon, July 31, in the comfy, air-conditioned Studebaker National Museum auditorium, during the SDC International Meet. Check the Meet Booklet for the exact time Tuesday afternoon when you arrive in South Bend.

First-come, first-served on the seating. I'd anticipate a full house, knowing how good this presentation will be, with many slides and photos projected on a wide screen with good vision for all. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nascar

When I went to the races with a small Cup team in the late 80's I would ask the older drivers and owners if thay ever raced a Studebaker. Some said thay raced a Studebaker but never any in Winston Cup. Now a Charlotte company Holman Moody built Larks for road racing 59-60. Thay still have ALL the paperwork thay generated. Payment was thru NY add agency due to racing ban by manufactures. Thay had the canceled checks from paying the drivers. I reall wanted the check to "Fireball Roberts" for racing the Lark.
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC
                North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Working...
                X