The things one can learn!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The things one can learn!

I went back to the wrecking yard yesterday - the one I'd written about a few days ago. I had to collect the deck lid I'd bought on my first trip.
    I asked about another part I'd seen in the yard and an elderly (more elderly than me anyway!) overheard the Studebaker banter between me and the yard owner. When the phone took away the yard owners attention, the white-haired fella next to me offered some nuggets of details about some of Studebakers final offerings.
    The yard owner and I had been discussing the Studebaker-Packard merger, so this fella offered that Studebaker had adopted Packard's 327 V8 as well as their Ultramatic after the merger. Well, I offered that such a sharing HAD taken place with the 56 Golden Hawk (with a 352 instead of a 327), but that that was the ONLY instance of such driveline sharing.

"No, no...... I made my living rebuilding automatics and I remember well that Avantis had Ultramatics in them!"

Well, I gave him a quick history of auto trannies in Studebakers - and by this time I had everyone in the office listening in (maybe a half dozen or so). Then came the nugget about them failing (ultimately) because of some sort of law suit(s) about postwar styling as well as the dismal sales of the radical bullet-nosed cars. I offered that 1950 had been their best sales year!

Heh - after that I had no further "facts" thrown at me - only questions. And I gave a condensed version of their final years and cessation of auto-making - which amazed them - the fact that the company actually survived the end of car making.

It was 103 outside - maybe hotter in the open air office - so I cut my class short and headed for home.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Seems heading should ,The Things We Teach, Good Job . I still am amazed at the interest shown in Studebakers when I go to a show. Maybe the Avanti brought to the gentleman had been altered? I am 61 and already gets facts turned around at times.
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

I was at a cruise night last night with my car and a few other friends had their Studebakers there too. A couple came over and the guy started telling his gal that the cars where produced by Kaiser. That's a first for me!

Comment

Interestingly, I run into much of the same thing here in GM central, Michigan.

What I find is about 10% really care about having their data base corrected and the rest just stand there with a glazed look in their eyes, caring less if I add data to their baseline.

I've learned a while back to suggest where the statement may be in error and if I detect interest then continue with the conversation. Otherwise I just ask about their other areas of interest.

I've found that if the folks at the shows and yards don't meet my expectations, I just lower my expectations and am a calmer and happier sweetol that I would be otherwise.

Bob

Comment

I have in the past when this type of conversation comes at most car shows other than our own Studebaker shows and people don't have a clue what they are talking about in the Studebaker line just let them finish and then ask if they would like to know more about what is the true fact on the subject. most are interested and I think it is because I don't try to ram it down them and make them look like an knot head, just one of the many uninformed on the real facts, no need getting worked up over cars, most people like to tell me about ones that were in their family past.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I was at a show last weekend with my '66 Cruiser and heard the usual comments, one man telling his son or grandson that my cruiser was a Rambler but I ended up in a conversation with someone who at first seemed reasonably informed until he told me that it was too bad that Frigidaire (who apparently owned Studebaker) decided to quit building cars. That was a first for me. I did not correct him.
            sigpic
            55 President Deluxe
            64 Commander
            66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

'Good show, Bob. You sure learned a lot that day! Now I know the two extra Ultramatic transmissions that came with my '56 Clipper 20 years ago will fit Avantis! 'Should broaden the market for them considerably.

Cliff: Do you suppose The Frigidaire confusion might have resulted because the person speaking to you once saw a Wagonaire running around in below-zero temperatures with the sliding roof forward and part of the car's tailgate emblem coverd with snow or ice? BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I'm thinking that they were thinking about Kelvinator, which was associated with Nash.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

(quote)Do you suppose The Frigidaire confusion might have resulted because the person speaking to you once saw a Wagonaire running around in below-zero temperatures with the sliding roof forward and part of the car's tailgate emblem coverd with snow or ice? [/QUOTE]
                  Hadn't thought of that but he might have confused Studebaker with AMC and Kelvenator? I just don't ask anymore, each person lives his dream or his own reality.
                  (RadioRoy, you are probably correct).
                  Last edited by 2moredoors; 07-11-2012, 11:50 AM.
                  sigpic
                  55 President Deluxe
                  64 Commander
                  66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

To: Roscomacaw,----- I think You've touched on something that NO ONE in Studeland has ever done...... How about a Packard 352/Ultramatic swap into a Studebaker Avanti??

(How about NOT!!)

Comment

The following appeared in our chapter newsletter (you get that, right Rosco?) I'm thinking this was generated by Bob Shaw's thread requesting the myths we most often hear. Anyone know for sure? (There was no attribution)
                      Anyway, if you can get them to read it, it would be good to have this to hand out.

Studebaker Myths and Misconceptions

Myth #1: Studebaker was owned/made by Hudson/
                      AMC/Ford/Chrysler, etc.)

Fact: From 1852 through 1966, 1954-1962 were the only years in which
                      Studebaker was a division of a larger corporation. The Packard Motor Car
                      Company purchased The Studebaker Corporation in 1954 and formed The
                      Studebaker-Packard Corporation. That company manufactured both Packard
                      and Studebaker automobiles and trucks through the 1958 model year, when
                      Packard production ceased. The Corporation dropped Packard from the name
                      in 1962 and became The Studebaker Corporation until Studebaker automobile
                      production was terminated during the 1966 model year.More Studebaker
                      company history at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebakerwww.aoai.org

Myth #5: My (buddy/relative) had a 1955 Golden
                      Hawk (or 1961 Silver Hawk).

Fact: Golden Hawks were ONLY produced in ʻ56, ʻ57 and ʻ58. The ʻ56 G.H.
                      had a Packard 352 V/8 engine (but never supercharged and never with
                      two 4 bbl carbs). ʻ57 and ʻ58 G.H. had a McCulloch supercharged 289 c.i.
                      Studebaker V/8. Other ʻ56 Hawks included Sky Hawk, Power Hawk and Flight
                      Hawk. Silver Hawks were ONLY produced in ʻ57, ʻ58 and ʻ59. All 1960 and
                      1961 Hawks were simply Hawks, with no other identifier . ʻ62-ʼ64 had the
                      Gran Turismo Hawk (not Grand Torino, which was a Ford). ʻ63-ʼ64 GT Hawks
                      could be ordered with a Paxton supercharged engine.

Myth #6: Parts for Studebakers are impossible to get.

Fact: Of course, there are a few exceptions but by and large, parts are plentiful
                      and easy to get from a large number of Studebaker parts vendors. For
                      NOS, used and reproduction parts sources visit www.studebakervendors.comwww.racingstudebakers.comwww.studebakerdriversclub.com
                      or talk with your local SDC Chapter!

Studebakers have not been made since 1966. Over the passing years many
                      myths and misconceptions have persisted. Here are ten myths that are often repeated and the facts
                      to hopefully set the record straight once and for all.
                      Last edited by kurtruk; 07-11-2012, 04:02 PM.
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Didja know that the Avanrti was a rear engined car?
                        I heard a guy carefully explain that to whom I assumed was his Son and the boys girlfriend at a Mall car show a few years back. After they were done looking front & rear; I offered to open the hood & show him my engine.... not much more expert advice came from his lips. But I was "cool" about it & didn't let on that I had heard his speech. It was neat watching his expression though wehen I popped the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                          Didja know that the Avanrti was a rear engined car?
                          I heard a guy carefully explain that to whom I assumed was his Son and the boys girlfriend at a Mall car show a few years back. After they were done looking front & rear; I offered to open the hood & show him my engine.... not much more expert advice came from his lips. But I was "cool" about it & didn't let on that I had heard his speech. It was neat watching his expression though wehen I popped the hood.
                          I would have popped the trunk and exclaimed" Somebody stole my engine"!!!!
                          Bez Auto Alchemy
                          573-318-8948
                          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

We have the same problem here at the Route 66 Hall of Fame and Museum in Pontiac, IL.
                            We try to delicately correct misinformation. The world is full of self professing experts.

Comment

He is not the first person to learn thing or 2 from you Bob....

I am jusr curious if people think that AMC owned Studebaker because the last models looked a bit like some of the AMC line up, OR, did someone just start a rumor that has got accepted like an urban myth.

Comment

Working...
                              X