A question before we head to South Bend with our Studes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question before we head to South Bend with our Studes

Looking forward to the Int'l Meet and seeing old friends.

Here in Southern Ontario we can still get ethanol-free gas if we choose the highest grade of Shell and Esso and a couple of others. Most here are getting along just fine without an electric fuel pump and other "fixes" to today's fuel.

My question is: what brand and grade of fuel do you guys recommend we buy while we're in the States taking advantage of your hospitality? Should I bring along any additives like diesel fuel or?

We have a little 2 year old toddler (a grandson - to begin Studebaker indoctrination) along, so we don't need any avoidable road-side problems.

Thanks in advance for any good tips.
    Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
    61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
    Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
    Ride me in a Studebaker"

This website has listings for stations that have eth-free fuel. Pure Gas

If you know your route you can plan accordingly - and a stop every few hours is a good thing for your young traveling partner

Comment

Glad to hear your going to SB Roger ! Did you buy another Studebaker?
      I know you wouldn't be driving the M that far <g>
      I don't have an answer to your question but we'll see you there !
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Many areas in the USA, like where I reside, require ethanol in all gasoline for retail, automotive sale.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bob, I'm going with the clan and riding shot-gun with either my son Graeme in the Power Hawk OR with Steve in the Lark w/Skytop. The M will have to wait for further mods and planning. A trip back to her birthplace would be quite a cool thing, though.

However, if anyone has a nice truck with overdrive or a 5-speed or perhaps a stationwagon for sale at SB (either of which do not require much work to be quite presentable and reliable), I could well be interested.

The Pure Gas site seemed to favour listings of Marathon stations, plus Country Mark in Indiana. Also one listing at a BP in Mishawaka.
          I think I'll take some upper cylinder additive along to lower volatility anyway.
          Last edited by STEWDI; 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM. Reason: sp
          Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Roger, We drove our '47 Champion to the Northeast Zone Meet in Rutland, Vermont last month. Before leaving, I had done quite a bit of research on using gasoline containing ethanol. This included checked with the shop who had relined our fuel tank a few years ago. They said using gasoline containing ethanol for a few days would not harm the lining.

Once the car had its second tank of premium fuel containing 10% ethanol, it was hard to start when the engine was warm; it sometimes stalled when idling; and the fuel mileage dropped by 15 per cent. Once we got back to New Brunswick and were able to buy "uncontaminated" premium fuel, all these symptoms stopped. (I have used only premium in the Studebaker and in our '95 Dodge Caravan ever since ethanol was put in regular and mid-grade gasoline.)

Based on our experience, enjoy your trip to the International (wish we were going, too!), but be prepared for minor inconveniences.

Bill Jarvis
            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Hi, Bill

How are you? Are you still in contact with our friend from Port Elgin who had the '47 Champoin Starlite (a "senoir moment" is preventing his name from being typed - I know it starts with "D"). WAIT!! It's Dave Finnis! Aha! The synapes DO fire periodically!

Thanks for the input. Actually, it's a little disconcerting. But, I'd like to know if you packed any fuel additives and if you used any. If, you did try something, obviously, it was not a total success. Did your research suggest any tips for us occassional US travelers?
              Roger Hill

Junior Wagon - "Junior"

Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I have good luck with Shell's premium unleaded in my '64 Commander.

Comment

Working...
                X