Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'56 Flight Hawk upholstery and hood issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '56 Flight Hawk upholstery and hood issue.

I purchased a pretty nice, and very low mileage, '56 Flight Hawk a few weeks ago. Other than the windlace falling off at the driver's door, the only bad thing about the interior is the front seat cushion. Is anyone reproducing the seat coverings for this car? It's white vinyl with the gray fabric inserts. Also, does anyone have any tricks up their sleeve about how to prevent the back center of the hood from making contact with the cowl? Everything looks like it's in proper alignment but when I open the hood, the center flexes down and back and has scraped all the paint off for about 3". There's so much metal in that hood, it's no wonder something like this happens but I can't figure out how to fix it.

The trouble with fixing the bench for your front seat is it will very difficult to match the other faded and weathered seat cover - but there are some places that will make factory correct covers.

The hood rubbing issue might be as simple as replacing the cowl rubber. That is a rubber strip that is on the body where the rear of the hood sits. When it wears out the hood sits lower and cannot clear the cowl lip when it is being raised.

In addition, make sure your "Studebaker hood lift" technique is in good form. Always pull the hood toward you when lifting - from the point when it unlatches through the end - it should probably be an Olympic sport. Back in the late '60s my Uncle knew someone had looked under the hood of his '62 GT Hawk - how did he know? - both rear corners were bent because the did not lift it correctly.

Comment

Also keep the pivot points well lubed !

Comment

Have a look at this site http://southeaststudebaker.com/ regarding upholstery.
        sigpic

Comment

First, your hood needs to be in proper adjustment/alignment. Then look to see if the center, rear section is dropped a little below the cowl. If it is, adjust it back up to be level. I do this by putting a cloth wrapped block of wood between the hood and cowl and gently applying pressure to get the proper shape. This is easier for me to do than to explain how much pressure, etc.
          Of course, this is assuming not only proper adjustment, but also a good cowl bumper piece.
          As has been mentioned, pull the hood toward you when moving it up or down.
          Welcome to the wonderful world of Studebakers and to the Forum. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club from this site, if you haven't already done so.
          Be careful of that hood. It is a rare piece. It is a one year piece that only fits (correctly) 1956 Hawks.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Don't buy from Automotive Interiors, Springfield, Mass. Poor quality and poor workmanship. No getting them to fix the problem

Comment

Yep, tried the wooden block to no avail, all it did was cause the right side of the hood to elevate along with the center. The rubber strip looks good so I'll check so see if lubrication helps although everything seems free moving at present.

Comment

Originally posted by K Russell View Post
                Yep, tried the wooden block to no avail, all it did was cause the right side of the hood to elevate along with the center. The rubber strip looks good so I'll check so see if lubrication helps although everything seems free moving at present.
                I think that you do not have the right touch with that wood block. I don't see how the right side of the hood can elevate due to it, unless the hinges are really worn. Adjustments like that are much harder to explain than to do, after you have done it a few times. Even though you are also in NY, I believe that you are a few hundred miles from me, or I would offer to do the adjustment. Do you have a reasonable gap between the hood and the cowl?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

As Gary says,you should be able to put quite a bit of force on that hood without the back corners lifting up. Hinges are worn or loose. A reasonable gap between hood and cowl could be as much as 5/16"..
                  Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Working...
                  X