Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That Crazy Avanti Lug Nut Question....Again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: That Crazy Avanti Lug Nut Question....Again?

I have a set of the new stock steel replacement wheels on my 1963 Avanti. These are the ones that Bob Helm in Texas used to sell in the Turning Wheels. I believe they are a MOPAR wheel that has the advantage of being slightly wider than the stock Avanti wheel, plus they were originally engineered to handle a radial tire. Bob stopped selling these new wheels a few years ago, when the number was obsoleted by the wheel maker.

O.K.....here's my question: These wheels have a 9/16" hole for the mounting studs. Will the stock Stude lug nut work on these MOPAR wheels? Remember, these are NOT the Ford wheels some guys are using.

I know the stock Stude lug nut has a 45 degree seat angle (bevel on the nut). I'm wondering how this bevel compares to the bevel on the mounting holes of these replacement MOPAR wheels. Bob Helm sold tons of these wheels, so I'm assuming someone has already tackled this subject. Any help will be appreciated...greatly. Thanks. John

Originally posted by Jolly-John View Post
    I have a set of the new stock steel replacement wheels on my 1963 Avanti. These are the ones that Bob Helm in Texas used to sell in the Turning Wheels. I believe they are a MOPAR wheel that has the advantage of being slightly wider than the stock Avanti wheel, plus they were originally engineered to handle a radial tire. Bob stopped selling these new wheels a few years ago, when the number was obsoleted by the wheel maker.

O.K.....here's my question: These wheels have a 9/16" hole for the mounting studs. Will the stock Stude lug nut work on these MOPAR wheels? Remember, these are NOT the Ford wheels some guys are using.

I know the stock Stude lug nut has a 45 degree seat angle (bevel on the nut). I'm wondering how this bevel compares to the bevel on the mounting holes of these replacement MOPAR wheels. Bob Helm sold tons of these wheels, so I'm assuming someone has already tackled this subject. Any help will be appreciated...greatly. Thanks. John
    I can't speak for the Helm wheels, but a tire dealer friend of mine got me a set of 6 1/2" MoPar wheels for my '64 Avanti several years ago and they worked just fine with stock lug nuts
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The wheel from a MoPar Cordoba is a direct fit......not a problem on the Hawk or on the Avanti.

Comment

The original question I posted relates to the ability to use the original Stude lug nuts on the MOPAR wheel, Hawklover. Do you have any experience with that issue? Thanks. John

Comment

JJ, I am utilizing the original lug nuts........indeed they would have been too small on the FoMoCo wheel as the holes are a bit larger.......but the MoPar wheel lug nut holes are smaller and so pose no issues with the Studebaker lug nuts. They have been on the car over 15 yrs.....btw, the wheels I have are not KH, but rather National Tire & Rim.
          The original question I posted relates to the ability to use the original Stude lug nuts on the MOPAR wheel, Hawklover. Do you have any experience with that issue? Thanks. John

Comment

Are you sure that you have MOPAR wheels? I remember the wheels that Bob Helm sold for years as being Ford (Ranger) wheels.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe Bob Helms advertised that his wheels would use the stock Stude lug nuts. The set that I acquired from him were made in Venezuela.

Comment

Mopars with the famous 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern used 1/2" lugs with 3/4" lug nuts. I've owned many a MoPar over the years.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Working...
                X