avanti tach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avanti tach?

This was a question regarding my 66 Avanti tach that does not work. Sorry hadn't read the other post on this topic. OOPPS. Thanks for the replies. P.S. Where is the tach sending unit located?
    Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

I assume the 66 Avanti used the Studebaker tach and sending unit. You can check the tach head with a 9 volt battery. If the needle moves, it's probably OK, then you know it's the sending unit or wiring.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    59 3E truck
    58 Starlight
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Mine reads about twice engine rpm ... or nothing.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Two things to consider........hook up a known good tach...then with the sending unit out of the can but still wired adjust the sender to match the other tach. Second........realize the new sending units can be effected by heat.....I installed a new sender last year, did the required adjustment but found that the tach would start to jump around when the under hood temps really were significant....the situation was somewhat intermittant...but heat seems to effect the circuitry of the sender.

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

Mine reads about twice engine rpm ... or nothing.

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

Comment

The sender is under the dash, so under hood temperature should not effect it.

JDP/Maryland
          64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
          64 GT R2
          63 GT R2
          63 Lark 2 door
          59 3E truck
          58 Starlight
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Since I put it in, I am aware of where it it located.....that being said on a 90 degree plus day in an Avanti do you realize how hot the damn cabin is?........I am sure you do.......I am only relating my experience with one of the new sending units marketed by Jon Myer.....no beef with Jon, he can't control the heat

quote:Originally posted by JDP

The sender is under the dash, so under hood temperature should not effect it.

JDP/Maryland
            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
            64 GT R2
            63 GT R2
            63 Lark 2 door
            59 3E truck
            58 Starlight
            52 & 53 Starliner
            51 Commander

Comment

Working...
            X