Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice? Suggestions for Engine Rebuilder for 289 V8 in Mpls/St.Paul area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Advice? Suggestions for Engine Rebuilder for 289 V8 in Mpls/St.Paul area?

hi,
    I plan to rebuild my 289 V8 ('57 Golden Hawk) myself, BUT, need a professional to at least cook out the block, check the cylinder bores and determine if new pistons are required (new rings are a no brainer), and then put in hardened valve seats and probably new valves at that point... and check over the crank, etc.....

The guy I used for my Model-A Ford has retired. Any suggestions, particularly someone who specializes or has done several Stude V8's in the past? I keep hearing they are a "little different" than the Big 3's iron, and need some different TLC when it comes to boring (should that be necessary) and maybe how valve seats are put in too, I don't know. Thus, want someone with Stude experience.
    Thanks!
    Barry in Lake Elmo, MN

Check private email.

Comment

I know that Dana in Shakopee is a real good machinist as well as Tom at cylinder head service. But as far as Studebaker guys I would like to know as well Please some one let me know as well.
      I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!
      And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
      Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281
      27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

I keep hearing they are a "little different" than the Big 3's iron, and need some different TLC when it comes to boring . . and maybe how valve seats are put in too.
        Nothing special on the boring. Despite the South Bend urban legends of high nickel blocks, Studes bore and hone just like any other block.

Yes on the valve seats. The two center cylinders don't have much material under the exhaust seats and using a full depth seat it is easy to cut through. We use a special thin hard exhaust seat.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack: Where can I purchase those special thin hardened exhaust valve seats and is there a part number?

Thanks
          Dean

CLEM

Comment

thanks Jack,
            if you don't mind, can you tell me where you get that 'special thin hard exhaust seat'?, in case I have to go with a "standard" machine shop without Stude V8 experience?
            Thanks!
            Barry

Comment

I just recently (May 2012) had a 1960 259 done by Scott Zeidler in Annandale, MN (Zeidler Racing & Transmission).
              320-274-3139 home
              320-492-2073 cell
              I was happy with his work, and the price was good, $60/hr. He seemed to know what he was talking about, and told me he had done an Avanti engine before. Nice guy, and he has got many stories to tell and will share them with you.
              As he works out of his house garage, the engine was removed from the car and brought to him due to no storage room for the car during the process.
              I was referred to him from Shannon's Engineering, in which I was referred to a few years ago that used to do Studebaker engines, but no longer does.

Similar thread I started with info to give engine builder who may not be completely familiar with Stude engines:

Good luck with your project.
              Eric
              Last edited by gohdes; 07-09-2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

thanks Eric,
                small world; I have my seats up in Annandale getting recovered too, even though it is over an hour northwest of me (but on the way to my Dad's farm up by Alexandria)
                Appreciate the tip.
                Barry

Comment

Originally posted by bsrosell View Post
                  thanks Eric,
                  small world; I have my seats up in Annandale getting recovered too, even though it is over an hour northwest of me (but on the way to my Dad's farm up by Alexandria)
                  Appreciate the tip.
                  Barry
                  are you having them done at Ace Upholestery?

Comment

yep! :-) Met him at the car show in Hugo on Memorial Day; car isn't ready, but didn't want the upholstery sitting around getting wrinkled and he has done Hawk seats before, and agreed to do them for me. Will have to find someone else to do the headliner and such, he can't /doesn't do that 'over head' stuff anymore.

Comment

Jim does nice work, he installed the seat covers and made a center console cover for my '63 Hawk and I am very satisfied.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

And like so many many of the guys (and gals!) in this club and the Model-A Ford club, is just a darn NICE PERSON who is fun to get to know and talk to. What a fantastic hobby we are privileged to be a part of, and what a great group of people we are blessed with in these clubs.
                        A general 'thanks' to anyone reading this for being part of that Stude famly and this forum :-)

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                        Jim does nice work, he installed the seat covers and made a center console cover for my '63 Hawk and I am very satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                        X