• Show
Clear All

• Got the floors in!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	floor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1736095
    Alright, I am NOT a professional welder, in fact I am learning as I am going along but the drivers floor and passenger floor are in!! I am excited and now the doors close a little bit better now too...pretty excited just wanted to share in my excitement!! The drivers side it how i spent my 4th of July (had my own special firework show under that welding helmet).

(sorry the passenger side file is to big but yall get the idea!!!)

oh and this is RIGHT after, I know a little rough but again I am not a professional. But ive got some clean up to do!!!
    Last edited by studeillac1952; 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM.

Looks good ! Congrats !

Comment

Nice job! Sure beats the days of using a plain old piece of sheetmetal.

Comment

looks nice and strong, good job keep at it.
        SN-60. I grew up in PGH. and we had rust. some times that piece of flat metal looked real good and helped keep the water out of the car. I once cut up and used the sheet metal from a dryer to make a floor and trunk for my 69 sumbeam, my first car. No welding, rivets, screws, nuts and bolts.
        Last edited by K-Hawk; 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Hawk View Post
          looks nice and strong, good job keep at it.
          SN-60. I grew up in PGH. and we had rust. some times that piece of flat metal looked real good and helped keep the water out of the car. I once cut up and used the sheet metal from a dryer to make a floor and trunk for my 69 sumbeam, my first car. No welding, rivets, screws, nuts and bolts.
          Arrow, Alpine Coupe or Alpine GT?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Nice job! Sure beats the days of using a plain old piece of sheetmetal.
            Looks really good for a non-pro. I have a customer's 69 Dodge truck at my shop that has a stop sign for a floor. I gotta fix that.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Looks good, question tho with the white burn look around the weld I have to ask if the repair panel was gavanized coated? If so I hope you took the precautions of wearing a proper breathing mask for your protection.
              Tom

Did some research and found this site, some of the article is a bit different from what I learned in my time but it makes a good point on the gavanized welding. http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
              Last edited by COMMANDERPINK1; 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM. Reason: added a web site
              sigpic

Comment

It might be flux core welds, they have that look to them. A respirator is always a good idea anyways,as is protection from the ultra-violet that can give you a nasty sunburn.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
                  Looks really good for a non-pro. I have a customer's 69 Dodge truck at my shop that has a stop sign for a floor. I gotta fix that.
                  Man, repairs like that just gotta stop. <G>

On a serious note, NICE FLOOR studeillac! I've got some patching to do, and if mine are half as nice I'll be delighted.
                  '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Thanks guys!!! Yeah the white burns are from the flux core wire that i am using. The argon tank was empty, I didnt want to stop and drive to go and get the tank refilled and found I had some flux wire that needed to get used so..thats what it is. And it really looks worse in the picture than live and in person. But I wear a mask about 50% of the time (really when I remember to wear it), and have pretty good ventilation in the garage. Now onto the trunk floor!!!! I will keep posting...
                    Thanks again y'all!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X