63 Wagonaire...Engine Start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Wagonaire...Engine Start!

I had some time off this week, so I installed the Parks Pipes exhaust system (stock system, single exhaust) and connected a few missing odds and ends to enable me to fire the motor.

This is with it fully warmed up, but it was almost as easy starting it the first time. I cranked it with the plugs out until I got fuel at the carb, set the timing "close" (#1 in firing position, rotor pointing at #1), and it lit right off. I set the timing with a light and filled the trany with fluid. The carb didn't need any fiddling. It looks new, but it must have run a motor at some time.

Rockers are a little loose and I have an exhaust leak at the heat riser I need to track down, but no water or oil leaks!

The trany is a "donation" from James Bell here in Bellingham. It goes into each gear and moves the car in each gear...driveway only since I don't have fluid in the brakes yet.
    Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 07-06-2012, 01:46 PM.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Nice, Dick!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Dang, you do nice work!

Comment

Sounds great! That clicking sounds nice - means everything is opening and closing like it should.

Also want to note it is nice to see the spacer between the fan and water pump pulley. Cannot tell you how many Studebakers I see where they are left out and you could stick a 2x6 between the fan and radiator and it would not touch either at the same time!

Comment

Lookin' Good Dick.

Someone's gonna get a nice unit when you are done.
          Mark Hayden
          '66 Commander

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
            Sounds great! That clicking sounds nice - means everything is opening and closing like it should.
            It's nice to have them a little loose rather than too tight on first start, but IMHO they can (and will) be quieter than that and still be in spec.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Mark57 View Post
              Lookin' Good Dick.

Someone's gonna get a nice unit when you are done.
              It's going to be hard to sell this one...but then it's always hard to sell them.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Gee, I miss that sound! Am collecting mine today and keeping it home until I can afford the cost of a new rear axle and its installation. Gee it only lasted 50 years, must complain to South Bend. Still, it outlasted Matt's Holden Brake Booster (39 years) LOL.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Good show, Evil Twin!
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                    Evil Twin!
                    ...and proud to be one!
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA