56 Hawk brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: 56 Hawk brakes

Have 56 Hawk with original drum brakes. Everything appears new and in good working order. Adjusted by shop manuel but they pull hard left at low speed. On lift all 4 will hold good. Could 9 year old Coker bias be problem.

How old are the brake hoses?? ALL brake hoses since at least 1987, must have the manufacturer of the hose, AND the date it was made. Raybestos "says" tp replace rubber hoses evert 3-5 years. If you are still running a single M/C, hose replacement is cheap insurance!
    To answer your question on the tires, how old are they?? Do they pull while driving? or only when you step on the brakes? If only when braking, probably not the tires, could be a bad hose internally.

jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

My guesses are; bad hose (or crimped hard line) or sticky wheel cylinder.
      I do not believe that tires are giving you a low speed brake problem.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Jim Thanks for the direction. Looks as if front right hose was coming apart inside and had some sludge in cylinders. Was a museum car and everything looked brand new.

Comment

prez55: It is not difficult to pull the front Drums and check for wet linings from Brake fluid or Wheel Bearing Grease.
          But the main thing I would look for is that BOTH L & R "wedges" at the top brake shoe anchor have the bevel FORWARD, and arrow Forward and that the short shoes are on the front, if you did not assemble it yourself or by the book there could be assembly issues.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: 55prez,----- Just wondered what model '56 Hawk You have?

Comment

If it has been in a museum for several years/decades, I would not pull it out of the driveway without going through the brakes. Odds are, everything rubber will need to be replaced, not only in the brakes but throughout the car.

I am currently waking up a GT that has been parked 5-7 years. Thought the MS had fluid, and the pedal came up after 3-4 pumps, it will not leave the garage till the brakes have been gone through.

I would advise anyone to think safety first, when it comes to brakes on Studes, or any other old car for that matter.

Comment

its a Power Hawk. Wish it was mine. Helping out owner.

Comment

Working...
                X