Stillborn 1952 Model N photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stillborn 1952 Model N photos

'Spent over an hour today trying to locate some specific photos of a Studebaker tow-motor that I took 20+ years ago when doing the articles on Industrial Activity in The Studebaker Corridor for Turning Wheels.

Chris Dresbach would like to see any that were not published, but I cannot locate same. 'Hopefully, they'll turn up sooner or later and I'll be able to give Chris a hand. (Sorry, Chris; I'll look again when I've got more time, but I'm not sure where!)

Anyway, with Chris' interest in the Model N, I did run across some graveyard photos I took that may or may not have been published, and knew he would be interested. 'Figured others would, too, so here they are.

First, the extant photo of the Model N in the day:

And four photos of the remains in the high-speed oval graveyard. These are about 20 years old:

'Could have been a real looker! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Thanks for posting them Bob. Those higher rear fenders and much higher mounted '51 Taillights give the really different rear view a way unusual look compared to the Production '50, '51 and '52. I think the taillights have a Kaiser look!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Speaking of the graveyard, does anyone know if there is a chance that we can visit it during the time of the track being open for our Studebaker? I'd like to pay my respects.
      sigpic
      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Bob,
        WOW!!!!!!!! You are right, those are unpublished. That first one is the FIRST AND ONLY photo I have ever seen of a complete metal Model N!! All the other photos I've seen are of the clay car, and it's in COLOR!! I'm impressed, thanks!
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

For all the crap Studebaker took in this era about looking the same coming or going...it sure is a weird thing to see a design where the fat rear fenders were removed, and then applied backwards on the front! Ugh.
          I appreciate the historical aspect of the Model N exercise, but I have yet to see a flattering picture from any angle. Every time i look at the pretty face of my 52, I'm glad Studebaker did the right thing. And lets face it, those 53's were worth waiting for.

Comment

Only two mis-cues to the Model N that I see in my eye
            -the shape of the front fenders, (not the actual front end which I liked)
            -the odd return to the split rear window when there was no need for it (no wraparound)

Possible a Kaiser, crossing-breeding of the hunched Henry J with the better looking 51 Series II full size Kaiser proportions. But, what it really reminds me of is a later Tatra before the steroids were injected! Actually, it looks like a 51 Kaiser on the rear, and like a 51 Frazer (larger series I fender--that crease that looks like it should have chrome on it.) with a bit of Tucker inspiration

Is that 'script' on that right front door, or just my imagination?

Many thanks Mr Palma!

Comment

Its neat that these proto types have survived in one way or the other but in my opinion its a good thing this model wasn't produced.....the 52 was a better looking car and if this model was produced the 53 coupe most likely would have been the one we'd be looking at in the graveyard.....and that would have been sad and who knows the closing of Studebaker could have been earlier than it was .
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I have to go along with Michidan. I'm not too enthusiastic about the Model N styling, especially the front fenders.
                It looks like it was designed by a committee. I also agree that the '53s were well worth waiting for.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Believe it or not, the "wider" front fenders are actually an illusion. All 5 Model N prototypes used stock '51 front ends. The rear end was "shrunk" inward but the deck lid is wider than a stock '47 thru '52. The script on the door says "Land Cruiser" and I have a better photo of that somewhere. If you don't believe me about the rear fenders, deck lid and odd door shape, I have all of them in my closet. (Seriously)
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

To me the front fenders look a little bit "Tuckerish." The "N" was not a bad design - to bad the protype wasn't saved. I was never a fan of the 1952 Studes, BUT over the years the look has grown on me and I think that the 1952 hardtops (especially) are really very nicely designed.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                      To me the front fenders look a little bit "Tuckerish." The "N" was not a bad design - to bad the protype wasn't saved. I was never a fan of the 1952 Studes, BUT over the years the look has grown on me and I think that the 1952 hardtops (especially) are really very nicely designed.

Bob
                      You're spot on thinking the Model N looks like a Tucker, it was supposed to.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

The Model N "may" (said with reservations) been spot on for 1952, but for 1956? No. Studebaker had to have a very facelift-able body in 1953 that would carry itself forward with appropriate facelifts at least to model year 1956. The Model N was already somewhat dated in 1952. Tack some fins on this and it's still dated in 1956. Did Studebaker do right with its 1953 "real world" models? We already know the answer. Would Studebaker have done any better with the Model N? In my honest opinion, nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude1961 View Post
                          The Model N "may" (said with reservations) been spot on for 1952, but for 1956? No. Studebaker had to have a very facelift-able body in 1953 that would carry itself forward with appropriate facelifts at least to model year 1956. The Model N was already somewhat dated in 1952. Tack some fins on this and it's still dated in 1956. Did Studebaker do right with its 1953 "real world" models? We already know the answer. Would Studebaker have done any better with the Model N? In my honest opinion, nope.
                          The Model N was intended to be the 1952 Centennial car, not for '56. In all honesty I like the looks of the car but the '53 was by far a much better choice. I don't know if Studebaker would have really done bad with the Model N, but I think they certainly did better with the '53.
                          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Hi

The Model N styling could have best been utilized on the '47-'52 body for a new '53 Champion line, separate from Commander/Land Cruiser. Then, the design that became the '53 C & K built exclusively as Commander/LC hardtop and coupe with the prototyped convertible added, as well as a 124"-126" wb hardtop sedan........and a reinstated President line!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                              The "N" was not a bad design - too bad the protype wasn't saved.
                              Well, Chris is still young and he has some of the parts. Hopefully, I will live long enough to see his Model N in all it's glory at a Studebaker meet or in Turning Wheels. Look how long it took them to resurect the Woody and it turned out great with about as much of the original car as Chris has of the N.
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X