Decorated my 1964 Daytona convertible for July 4th parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorated my 1964 Daytona convertible for July 4th parade

Being the front fenders were in gray primer and needed to be stripped to bare metal for a complete repaint anyway, I decided to rattle can the fenders blue and adhere some stars that I cut out of white contact paper/vinyl. Twenty hand-cut stars on each front fender and some signage made it ready for today's July 4th parade in Bock, Minnesota.
    Despite the temperature being in the high 90's and the temp gauge nearing hot, it ran great.....however, at the end of the parade after shutting it off for a few minutes to allow the street to clear of spectators, it would not restart due to the starter not engaging.
    I suspected the starter solenoid as being the culprit and cross-jumped the solenoid with the pair of battery jumper cables that I had in the trunk. It then turned over but wasnt getting enough current through to make it spin fast enough, so I banged on the solenoid in hopes that it would engage but it still wouldnt work.
    Then I decided to let the car sit for a few minutes while I removed the signage. That task completed, I then poured some cool water on the solenoid and then turned the ignition key...BINGO! The solenoid engaged, the car started and away we went (my nephew and I).
    Now I have a red 1964 Daytona convertible parked in my garage with contrasting blue fenders that are adorned with white stars....would it be so wrong if I left it this way?

Before patriotic graffitti:

And after:

Last edited by Milaca; 07-04-2012, 06:19 PM.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Good job!!!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm thinking a roll of wide white tape make the STRIPES! (ps this isn't a Hamilton car,is it?)

Comment

That's what Kabchef did to the rear fenders of his Transtar after a blown tire took out one fender.

It looks good Brent! Much better than the primer. And I like the blacked out headlight buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post

It looks good Brent! Much better than the primer. And I like the blacked out headlight buckets.
          Thanks Matt. I painted those headlight buckets back in 1991 when I was a twenty-year-old using a very rusty 1964 Daytona hardtop as a daily driver. Soon after I parked the rusty car but kept it all this time and am now using said headlight buckets from it, twenty-one years later! It pays to keep junk around.
          sigpic

Comment

Although I normally just hate it when someone Ruins a good pair of Super Rare late '64 DISHED headlight Doors, I have to say I am with Matt especially on this Car they do look great.

Maybe since you were a kid at the time we can refrain from slapping you with a wet Stude. Mud Flap, THIS time!

I bought a set when I was in South Bend at Plant 8 Warehouse in 1966 and it must not have been much longer that they ran out. They were very limited Production I think a different Vendor made them and '65's went back to the original design with all of the sharp bends in the inboard corners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64V-P8 Blue S.Williams3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1674783
            Last edited by StudeRich; 07-04-2012, 08:50 PM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
              ....would it be so wrong if I left it this way?
              Yes.....unless you don't plan on driving it until next July Fourth!

Actually, now that your all practiced up with the blue, the red should go on pretty nice.
              Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Very creative!!!!
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Although I normally just hate it when someone Ruins a good pair of Super Rare late '64 DISHED headlight Doors, I have to say I am with Matt especially on this Car they do look great.

Maybe since you were a kid at the time we can refrain from slapping you with a wet Stude. Mud Flap, THIS time!

I bought a set when I was in South Bend at Plant 8 Warehouse in 1966 and it must not have been much longer that they ran out. They were very limited Production I think a different Vendor made them and '65's went back to the original design with all of the sharp bends in the inboard corners.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16191[/ATTACH]
                  Thanks for pointing that out Rich as I hadnt even noticed a difference in shape nor did I know that they manufactured two types. I just photgraphed the difference between a set of NOS that came installed in the car and my used set that I installed. The difference is very noticeable now.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                    Yes.....unless you don't plan on driving it until next July Fourth!

Actually, now that your all practiced up with the blue, the red should go on pretty nice.
                    What if I were to install a set of bull horns on the hood and if I wore a big white Stetson hat while driving it? Would it be acceptable then?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      What if I were to install a set of bull horns on the hood and if I wore a big white Stetson hat while driving it? Would it be acceptable then?
                      That would complete the look!

Of course you know that Kristi and I will still ride in it, stars or not. But, if you insist on wearing the hat, please don't expect us to dress up like Rosco and Flash......
                      Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

You just got this car, and are already having too much fun with it. I think that's what it's all about.
                        The blue spray can finish looks so nice from this distance, I think you should go ahead and do the rest of the car. Of course MI to MN is quite a distance....

Comment

nicely done Brent!

Comment

i'd leave it that way until ready to "seriously" paint her...
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinnys Garage View Post
                              That would complete the look!

Of course you know that Kristi and I will still ride in it, stars or not. But, if you insist on wearing the hat, please don't expect us to dress up like Rosco and Flash......
                              Don't be silly, I would never expect you to dress up as Rosco and Flash.....but I do expect you two to dress up as Enos and Daisy Duke. As to which of you wears the tight cut-off jean shorts, perhaps the two of you can flip a coin for it.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X