Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have a 65 cruiser with a 283 thunderbolt; looking for suggestions on 4bbl carb options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: i have a 65 cruiser with a 283 thunderbolt; looking for suggestions on 4bbl carb options

any one have any recommendations on what I should go with? I'm looking to amp up the cruiser a little. if you have any suggestions on what 4 barrel carb would go good with this engine i would greatly appreciate any input I can get

Edelbrock 500cfm with electric choke. That will do all you want. Easy to adjust and holds its adjustments. You might also consider an Edelbrock Performer or Performer EPS intake manifold as well. The EPS is designed strictly for a square-bore carb and posts a bit better hp and torque numbers over the standard Performer.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Since your motor is a 283 Chevy V8; I'd go with a stock 4 barrel intake and Quadrajet Carb along with an HEI ignition. Needless to say; have dual exhausts installed as well.
      Last edited by 1962larksedan; 07-04-2012, 12:02 PM.
      --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

I like Gunslinger's idea if You have the extra $$$, but 1962larksedan's idea will also work very well if You want to keep it 'low bucks' Good luck!

Comment

thanks guys I definitely appreciate the input!!
          @ gunslinger: I was looking at the edelbrock carbs. what are your thoughts as far as performer series vs. thunder series? and you say 500cfm with electric choke will give me all the power I need?

Comment

I'll definately look into both options and see what im looking at price wise

Comment

Also what gunslinger said..

And sure, the Thunder Series is simillar to the Preformer, but more adjustable. If you are into the little details..and spending a few more bucks, the Thunder Series carb. is a very good option.

Mike

P.s. - The whole performer series parts list has been well thought out. If you feel the need to up the power more...the performer cam and cylinder heads are a good option without breaking the bank..so to speak.
              Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 07-04-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1962larksedan View Post
                Since your motor is a 283 Chevy V8; I'd go with a stock 4 barrel intake and Quadrajet Carb along with an HEI ignition. Needless to say; have dual exhausts installed as well.
                I would never recommend a GM Rochester Quadra-toilet, they never were much good.
                The huge secondaries are for much larger engines than a 283 and IMO would require a GM 350/400 Manifold.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

4 bbl. carb for the 283

I can tell you what I got for my Daytona;Edelbrock intake #2101 and 500cfm electric choke carb #1403.Honestly, if I had to do it over I probably wouldn't.You have to hassle with fabricating a bracket to accompany the throttle valve cable and adjusting it correctly.Also, my Edelbrock needed a rebuild after maybe 6,000 miles of driving! I've had it on the car for about 4 years and the factory warranty only covers the first year.
                  I don't know if you want a 'screamer' or a 'cruiser' (small c), but if you want the latter I would just have the 2bbl rebuilt and go over the rest of your fuel system with a fine tooth comb.The HEI setup along with dual exhaust sounds like a home run;I'd do that before I'd do anything else.

***Standard disclaimer:Your money, your ride! This is just one CASO's opinion.***

Let us know what you wind up doing. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
                    I can tell you what I got for my Daytona;Edelbrock intake #2101 and 500cfm electric choke carb #1403.Honestly, if I had to do it over I probably wouldn't. I've had it on the car for about 4 years and the factory warranty only covers the first year.

***Standard disclaimer:Your money, your ride! This is just one CASO's opinion.***

I would mostly agree with this.
                    2 years ago, I put a 1403 edelbrock on my 60 lark convert, and it had a stuck metering rod. By the time I discovered it, it ruined my engine rebuild - spun a bearing, and scored the crank. I figured out something was definitely wrong the day I left for Springfield 2011, but thought I could fix it when I got there. It sat on the car for a year and half while other things were being done before I really had a chance to test it before the meet, hence no warranty. I wrote a letter to edelbrock, but have heard nothing. I'm not holding my breath for a response either.
                    Last edited by gohdes; 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                      I would never recommend a GM Rochester Quadra-toilet, they never were much good.
                      The huge secondaries are for much larger engines than a 283 and IMO would require a GM 350/400 Manifold.
                      The air valve on the secondaries can be tightened (higher spring tension) so a smaller V8 doesn't bog under hard acceleration. Piece of trivia here: the 1966-69 Pontiac 230 OHC Six had a 4 barrel (Q-jet) option.

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
                        I can tell you what I got for my Daytona;Edelbrock intake #2101 and 500cfm electric choke carb #1403.Honestly, if I had to do it over I probably wouldn't.You have to hassle with fabricating a bracket to accompany the throttle valve cable and adjusting it correctly.Also, my Edelbrock needed a rebuild after maybe 6,000 miles of driving! I've had it on the car for about 4 years and the factory warranty only covers the first year.
                        I don't know if you want a 'screamer' or a 'cruiser' (small c), but if you want the latter I would just have the 2bbl rebuilt and go over the rest of your fuel system with a fine tooth comb.The HEI setup along with dual exhaust sounds like a home run;I'd do that before I'd do anything else.

My Lark 350 still has it's factory 2V carb but with HEI and dual exhausts.

Comment

Originally posted by STUDEdudeEYT404 View Post
                          thanks guys I definitely appreciate the input!!
                          @ gunslinger: I was looking at the edelbrock carbs. what are your thoughts as far as performer series vs. thunder series? and you say 500cfm with electric choke will give me all the power I need?
                          Stick with the Performer series...the adjustable secondaries aren't really worth it on a non-performance street car unless you feel the need to spend more money.

500 cfm will give you all the air the engine can handle. Going to a 600 won't gain you anything...the engine will run out of capacity to use that much air before the carb will be able to deliver 600 cfm. If a 500 is more than good enough for a 289 "R" engine, the same goes for the 283 small block. Having too much air capacity might even cause low end stumble...and again...the engine will run out of rpm's before the carb gets to it's maximum airflow.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The Edelbrock or QuadraJet are good options. The Quadrajet secondaries are vacuum operated and come in only as much as the engine can take. I had one on this 305 in a Lark...

Absolutely no bog.

But....if it was me....I'd be looking for a swap meet Rochester 4 jet and matching intake. Inexpensive, great carb, easy to rebuild, sized right for a 283, period correct.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks guys. AwesOme!!!! Sooo much info lol
                              I'm definitely gonna do sOme more research before anything but I will let you know what happens.
                              The standard 2barrel is still running strong but if I try to "gun it" it just doesn't deliver. I'm not looking to mAke it a "sCreamer" but I would like to make it a sleeper lol

Comment

Working...
                              X