Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35 Studebaker Dictator Phaeton

Hi,
    I'm looking for information on the vehicle in the title.
    My family has ownded one for about 20 years and are trying to decide what to do with it. Sell it or restore it? The first option is preferable but we cannot find a whole lot of info on it as it is quite rare.
    From our experiences, most people have no idea what it is and as far as we're aware there is only one other in the world and it is in pristine condition in a USA museum.
    Ours is 99% complete but 50% assembled and requires restoration.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ben

Originally posted by Boogieman View Post
    Any help would be appreciated.
    We definitely love to help you, but please give us a good start by posting some photos and the serial number, etc.

Craig

Comment

Geez, quick reply.
      I'll get photos in the next day or two but this is the same model

I'll get the serial number with the photos.

Cheers

Comment

I've attached this from my Dad who owns the car.

I have attached a few photos of the car.
        The car is pretty well complete except for a few things. There are no seat frames or window frames, the flooring is just about gone and part of the canvas roof framing is gone.
        The chassis number is 5506064 and the engine number is D49848
        The original owner had the car from 1935 till 1985 on a farm in Gympie, QLD then gave it to the neighbors son who moved to Darwin, NT and dismantled it with the intention of restoring it but didn't actually start anything. He sold the car to me in 1989.
        I started chasing parts and soon found it to be very rare. An old man I spoke to was the coachbuilding foreman at T J Richards & Son
        in Adelaide when these were built and he told me that were only about 97 of them. Because no Phaetons were built in America,
        1 of these 97 was sent to Studebaker America and that is the 1 that you see in the link on my previous post.
        About 17 years ago I made a big effort to find out all I could about the Phaetons and surprisingly few Studebaker clubs had even heard of them.
        So I am pretty confident that mine is 1 of only 2 in the world.
        Anyway, like the previous owner, I started with the best intentions but life keeps happening to me and I find that while I now have the
        time, place and money to make a serious dent in the work required, I think I lack the will.
        I'm not sure how much I want for the car but I'll know it when I hear it.
        Regards,
        Peter Sims

I hopethis helps,
        Cheers
        Ben
        Attached Files

Comment

The one in the Sarasota, Florida museum was sold in Janurary. When you decide on a price let me know.

Comment

Hi Ben,
            well you have an unusual car and most people in the States have no idea on how to value it.

From memory the other car in the US sold for around 50k years ago from its other home in California where it was restored after leaving Newcastle (if my memory servers me), and bearing in mind you could easily spend 50k to 70k restoring your car, I dont really think your car is worth a lot.

It is missing the interior and that is a problem.

Maybe Aust $10k if you are lucky at the high end. So somewhere between 5 and 10k maybe fine, depending on the buyers attitude.

These Richards bodied tourers are really basic cars and lack a lot of refinements that the US assembled roadsters have. They don't even have roll up windows, just the clip on shutters.

Effectively, they are a 1920;s car in mid 1930's drag, which was fine for the skippies, but not for the Yanks of the period.

There are probably more of them around that have not surfaced, but I think the number would be between 10 and 20 that were actually built.

You probably have to value it on the basics of the Chev's that were built in the same body configuration and devalue it a bit as Studebaker appeal to Chev appeal is a little different.

The battle with these cars is just putting your hand in your pocket, spending the bucks and getting on with it.

If you can get over that, just sell it for whatever you can get for it so it can get into the hands of somebody that will actually do something with it.

Anyway, I am well out of touch with Australian prices for Chev's and the like of similar ilk, so bear that in mind.

Regards
            Greg Diffen
            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

At least try and slap it back together then you can get more $$$$$ if you sell .

Comment

Doug Foeller owned the other 1935 Studebaker Phaeton and it was discussed on the link below. it was shown in several venues in SW Florida and was for sale at that time. Richard Quinn supplied some information on the car and its history few years ago. It was a very interesting car and I was unaware it had been sold.

Last edited by Bob Bryant; 07-04-2012, 02:29 PM.
                "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

I posted some photos of a '35 President that is similar in appearance in #26 of this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=yale
                  It is not a true pheaton, however, as the top is non-moveable.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    I posted some photos of a '35 President that is similar in appearance in #26 of this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...highlight=yale
                    It is not a true pheaton, however, as the top is non-moveable.

Craig
                    Craig; Yes, that is a "one off" President with a custom built aluminum body (made in Canada). Ordered special in 1935 by Jameson Motors in Victoria, BC. It is a Convertible Sedan as opposed to a touring. The top did go down originally. It was restored by the Shrock Borthers of Coalport, PA for Bob Yale about 14 years ago. It now belongs to George Vassos.
                    Richard Quinn
                    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hi,
                      It's been a few years since I started this thread and the owner (my Dad) is now looking to sell the car. Nothing's changed since those pictures but he's put it up for $15k or nearest offer.
                      It's located in Brisbane, QLD, Australia.
                      If you're interested, please contact Peter Sims on info@pipeprofiling.com.au.

Regards
                      Ben Sims

Comment

That would be a fine car for the right person to restore. Unfortunately, it can't be me.
                        "In the heart of Arkansas."
                        Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Hi Ben,

I have met your father a few times and spoke to him on the phone about a year ago. My father Des Skinner did supply him with a few N.O.S. parts for the Dictator about 15 years ago.

If Peter wants to advertise it, you or he are welcome to email us photos and details and we can put the add on our site and some of the club sites. Email chris@studeparts.com.au

Chris.

Comment

BTW, I saw a mention that T.J. Richards was taken over by GM/Holden. This is not true. TJR was taken over by Chrysler Corporation. They had been building Plymouth, Dodge and Desoto models alongside Studebakers for many years. In fact the Studebaker bodies were very much alike in appearance to their Mopar line mates. Some body hardware was most likely interchangeable. This is one of the challenges we face when trying to source parts for 1930's TJR bodied Studebakers.

Chris.

Comment

Hi Chris,
                              you are right with TJR being taken over by Cry slur. I think that the Studebaker line did not carry on with them after that changeover in 40 or so. The Studes were bodied by GMH There are some 1941 Studes in Oz with that body tag on them that I have seen.

Regards
                              Greg

Say hi to your dad for me.
                              Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                              1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                              1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                              1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                              1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                              1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Working...
                              X