Engine Bay Paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Bay Paint.

I have had the Lark back from the painters for a couple of months now and still don't know what to do about the engine bay. Its a long story as to why it was not included so it is what it is now. So, I would like some input, and any pics, as to what I should or can do. The car, 59 Lark, has original overspray on th inner fenders an the firewall is body color. Should I pursue an all body color, all black, leave it be etc...?

Any suggestions with accompanying pics would help me complete the car.

The car is White Sand and the V8 is, or will be, cast iron and black with some stainless and chrome, only minor shiny stuff.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Len.

It's your car so do it the way you want it but, if it were my car I'd do it the way it was built. Firewall body color and the inner fender panels black. Just my two cents worth.

Comment

Originally posted by radiotech View Post
      It's your car so do it the way you want it but, if it were my car I'd do it the way it was built. Firewall body color and the inner fender panels black. Just my two cents worth.
      The factory NEVER painted the inner fenders black, unless it was a black car! the inner fenders were always some form of the body color, (if it was a 2 tone).
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It's YOUR car Len, and you should do what makes you happy.

My 2 cents worth is this: since you have already decided to not go "original" on the Engine, it would be no big deal if you went simi Gloss Black on the inner fenders. Just know that it is not correct.

The good thing about that is the reason some people do it, it will go with ANY future body color choices which is why the Big Three did them that way, at least GM & Ford anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	59LarkRegal4drHawiian Green9c.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	1674772
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
          The factory NEVER painted the inner fenders black, unless it was a black car! the inner fenders were always some form of the body color, (if it was a 2 tone).
          They didn't paint them black, but on many cars, especially 1959 models, there was very little body color over the primer on the inner fenders. I have seen/owned original 1959s with paint as Len describes. Of course, the body color should not leave off as a sharp masked line as I have seen some repainted cars done. The body color just sort of tapers away as you get past the outer fender. Remember that the inner/outer fenders were painted separate from the cowl that was painted with the main body.

If the existing paint is in acceptable condition and matches the exterior, I would just clean it up.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree with studegary. The '63 Hawk that I purchased new in '63 (champagne gold), had mostly overspray over primer on the inner aprons. Since the car was "all original" and not needing any restoration to show it at the International meets, I simply cleaned the aprons and waxed them with Simonize paste wax to preclude any thin paint areas from rusting. The firewall was well painted but rough with "dirt" inclusions in the paint and the original "OK" and inspector number scribbled on it's surface. I waxed that too! That's how it left the factory and it can't get more original than that!

Comment

Yes, I might just leave it as original. As the trunk is so nice and I would not touch it if you paid me, well I do have a price, but still I do like some things original.

Thanks.

Comment

Bob Palma has his battery hold downs, I have engine bay colors as my pet peeve. I figure if you want a chevy........buy a chevy! Don't try to transform something unique into a vehicle for the lowly masses.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                X