1947 M5 Front Leaf Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 1947 M5 Front Leaf Springs

I am looking for a set of front leaf springs for my 47 M5. I have not had much luck finding aftermarket springs. Eaton out of Michigan sells them but they are very pricey. If anyone has any and wants to sell let me know. I mainly need the front left but would be interested in the pair if you had them. If anyone has a good source for "new" springs please let me know. Thank you in advance for any information.

Would like to know as to why and how much you want to spend? There is a place near me that will build you anything you want, but the main spring is $140. The rest is fairly cheap, less than Eaton. Stude truck springs are 2" wide and have a various of thicknesses and numbers in the spring pack. Anything would have to be custom made since the true arch is different between left and right on Stude trucks and could skew up your right, left alignment.

Comment

I am not positive yet but I believe one of the springs may be cracked because the spring pack is deflected slightly down where as the right side appears to be fine and is deflected upwards. Eaton had the blueprints on file so they could make an exact copy, if the place near you has that capability I would be interested in their info. If one of the springs are cracked maybe it is possible to replace that single spring. Not sure if I have the capability of replacing one within the pack. Thanks again for any information.

Comment

Stude trucks are built with offset shackle brackets in the rear. In the front they have a right and left. The reason for this is the Battery, Driver and gas tank are all on the left side, it was done to have the truck level with a full tank of gas and a lard butt at the wheel. Over the years people have moved the parts around without measuring things, or putting them back where they found them. Best thing to do is take them off and inspect them.

Comment

M's have their tank in the middle and the front springs, right and left are the same, according to the parts manual...

You may want to check the STT forum for parts, Bo, Vern and others have lots of parts to sell:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/
          1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
          See rescue progress here on this blog:
          http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are you sure it is not worn out bushings? I just replaced the ones on the drivers side and it makes the right hand side look flat. Neal

Comment

Working...
            X