Plea to Alan Songer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plea to Alan Songer!

Hi Alan, I didn't know you were on the forum! I have owned your Lark Custom R1, for 10 Summers and still love the beast. Was hoping to meet you in South Bend but alas, did not. I also tried writting you but snail mail didn't work. Please tell me the details of why you built the Custom the way it is. Unlike the R1, in the latest discussion, this one has stayed together. OK to share your story with the forum. Peace,Huck in Ford country

Gary Hildebrandt
    Gary Hildebrandt

Sorry for the SP error.It's Allan Songer.

Gary Hildebrandt
    Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Sorry for the SP error.It's Allan Songer.

Gary Hildebrandt
      Gary Hildebrandt

Comment

Damn I miss that car! I built it for my wife as a surprise birthday present to replace her '62 Hawk which was TIRED and she was TIRED of it!--it took 10 months of stealth work to do it--and she took one look at it and said "I want a truck." So I sold the car to you and bought the '55 E7 that she's been driving ever since! If I remember right you got a HECK of a deal--that was one sweet Lark--an original CA car with ZERO rust, NOS trim EVERYWHERE, NOS upholstery--the only thing I couldn't find was a new dash pad and ended up with one of those covers--maybe you found a nice one and have since fixed that little problem? I only had the car for about 15 months and sold it about 2 1/2 months after finishing it. Do you still have those little dogdish hubcaps on it with the blue wheels? I think it looks so MEAN with those!

That was a STRONG R1 motor--balanced, blueprinted, nitrided crank, stainless valves, hardened seats, etc. It is the fastest Studebaker I have ever owned--plus it had that beautiful blue paint and the snazzy 2-tone blue/white buckets and a 4-speed!

I am so glad you still have the car!! Any recent pictures? I have NOTHING but fond memories of that one!

Comment

Damn I miss that car! I built it for my wife as a surprise birthday present to replace her '62 Hawk which was TIRED and she was TIRED of it!--it took 10 months of stealth work to do it--and she took one look at it and said "I want a truck." So I sold the car to you and bought the '55 E7 that she's been driving ever since! If I remember right you got a HECK of a deal--that was one sweet Lark--an original CA car with ZERO rust, NOS trim EVERYWHERE, NOS upholstery--the only thing I couldn't find was a new dash pad and ended up with one of those covers--maybe you found a nice one and have since fixed that little problem? I only had the car for about 15 months and sold it about 2 1/2 months after finishing it. Do you still have those little dogdish hubcaps on it with the blue wheels? I think it looks so MEAN with those!

That was a STRONG R1 motor--balanced, blueprinted, nitrided crank, stainless valves, hardened seats, etc. It is the fastest Studebaker I have ever owned--plus it had that beautiful blue paint and the snazzy 2-tone blue/white buckets and a 4-speed!

I am so glad you still have the car!! Any recent pictures? I have NOTHING but fond memories of that one!

Comment

Gary,

Just a couple of tips that may help you out. On your original post you can click on the "edit" button (it's the one with the pencil) and correct your spelling in the topic header.

Also, you can contact any member of the Forum via e-mail. Using the member button at the top of the page, search under the "A's" (he uses Allan Songer as his Forum name) and click on his name. Then hit the "Click to Send an E-mail" button in the upper left hand corner and craft your message. Allan will get an e-mail message through the Forum and can then respond back directly to you.

Gary (AKA Decimal Dude)

Comment

Gary,

Just a couple of tips that may help you out. On your original post you can click on the "edit" button (it's the one with the pencil) and correct your spelling in the topic header.

Also, you can contact any member of the Forum via e-mail. Using the member button at the top of the page, search under the "A's" (he uses Allan Songer as his Forum name) and click on his name. Then hit the "Click to Send an E-mail" button in the upper left hand corner and craft your message. Allan will get an e-mail message through the Forum and can then respond back directly to you.

Gary (AKA Decimal Dude)

Comment

This is the only pic I have of the car--I think this is one of the pics I sent you when you were considering the purchase. Just looking at this pic makes me tear up a bit! What a NICE Lark!

Comment

This is the only pic I have of the car--I think this is one of the pics I sent you when you were considering the purchase. Just looking at this pic makes me tear up a bit! What a NICE Lark!

Comment

SHARP!

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

SHARP!

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

SHARP!
                        The photo doesn't do the car justice--it was BEAUTIFUL.

By the way, Huck--if you ever want your money back . . . .

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

SHARP!
                          The photo doesn't do the car justice--it was BEAUTIFUL.

By the way, Huck--if you ever want your money back . . . .

Comment

Post Script - File under lessons learned: Can't count the number of project cars built for wives, girlfriends, sons, daughters, grandchildren, which were not appreciated as much as was hoped. We tend to build what we like, not what they want to drive. One friend couldn't understand why his son wouldn't drive a restored 1931 Model A Ford sedan to high school. Another body shop friend can't understand why his wife is afraid to drive a show-quality Chevy pickup with a very hot big block 427" in it.

Take the intended recipient to several shows and ask what they like and why. Ask over a period of time. Then build once.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                            PackardV8

Comment

Post Script - File under lessons learned: Can't count the number of project cars built for wives, girlfriends, sons, daughters, grandchildren, which were not appreciated as much as was hoped. We tend to build what we like, not what they want to drive. One friend couldn't understand why his son wouldn't drive a restored 1931 Model A Ford sedan to high school. Another body shop friend can't understand why his wife is afraid to drive a show-quality Chevy pickup with a very hot big block 427" in it.

Take the intended recipient to several shows and ask what they like and why. Ask over a period of time. Then build once.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X