Paint inside motor / 0$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint inside motor / 0$

Ive been running into random pix of builds with painting inside valve covers, over spray on critical parts etc.. etc...
    Just thought it was a great topic to save time, money and motors.

Which bring my next 1, my 259 crank is stamped, 0$
    Its great to see studebaker had a sense of humor all the way down to the crank.
    USASTUDE

When restoring my '53, I had a closeup of the black oil filter housing with engine green overspray... it is duplicated on the rebuild... as is the firewall chalk mark.
    I've never seen something stamped inside a mill unless a rebuilder had to do work though. Free cranks are hard to find!

Comment

Notice that the old high leaded, sythentic pale Yellow baking Enamel used on the inside of the late '62 to '64 Valve Covers held up all these years even with no primer, and it does not come off!

I guess your 0$ Crank was headed for the scrap pile, and accidently ended up in your Engine!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The 259 crank; 0$
        looks factory cast, sorry as i said stamped by accident my fault. will try to get pix of it.

My first v8 build was a crazy gm 350 & blew it because i was getting late for work, now i just changed the oil few days before, the motor was barely broken in, i never thought to look at the oil gauge as i was leaving some chicks house, hung over all the way to the job about 10 miles in, it threw a rod out the pan. Someone her ex possibly sabotaged the engine by carefully draining the oil and removing any trace of evidence, not 1 spot of oil on anything. now im the type of person that never even lets the oil have time to get dirty before its changed plus i was running fully synthetic. But come to find out in the tear down it would have blown anyways as the oil pump screen was heavily clogged with paint as some of the hi temp paint came off. only one plane, rod, cap, blew all the rest were fine.
        USASTUDE

Comment

The only paint you should use inside an engine is Glyptal electric armature paint.
          Engine rebuilders and suppliers like Eastwood sell it.

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I was told that pouring a pint of Sherwin Williams interior latex "colonial red" paint in with your oil at every change helps reduce valve noise. <g>

'63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Originally posted by JimC View Post
              I was told that pouring a pint of Sherwin Williams interior latex "colonial red" paint in with your oil at every change helps reduce valve noise. <g>

Now that funny because what ive seen people do is just throw a few quarts of 75w90 in, it will stop most any noise, no mater what brand paint or color chosen.
              USASTUDE

Comment

I should of never brought up blowing motors as i just randomly blew the rod and crank on my factory stock riding mower, 18.5 briggs. It was well abused by the previous owners as it was on the way to the scrap yard so i picked it up for free, after a few new parts and throwing a full sized used battery in, it ran mint for just about a year but the yard takes close to 20 hours to mow at top speed 6?mph so well i got this thing ripped apart im changing out the rear granny 9" pulley with a smaller one ive done this before and it should easily hit 18mph with no engine mods or belt changes, possibly a belt tensioner mod.
                USASTUDE

Comment

Working...
                X