Avanti black painted scoop area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti black painted scoop area

Hi, I tried to reply to the post larktruck started , Here are pics of my original Avanti #2274 black painted scoop area, maybe cars that are not painted black have been repaired & repainted body color without the knowledge of the current owner. Ed
    Attached Files

I will admit, the black looks better on a lighter colored car.I like it. Perhaps they made 'em both ways. I have personally seen brand new ones that were not blackened out.
    My original Avanti red car was not.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Yes they are, just like the dozens of repainted GT Hawks out there with the inside bottom of the hood behind the Grille painted body color, and most owners do not even know it!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for the pics Ed. If it's good enough for Mr. Egbert, it is good enough for me!
        JS
        I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Found my pic of one of the nicest original Avantis in existance, sure looks black to me. Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1714.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1674746
          Oh, and it even has painted trunk hinges!!!!
          JS

ps. the BEST HALF finally figured out the picture posting thing! :-)
          Last edited by LarkTruck; 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
            Found my pic of one of the nicest original Avantis in existance, sure looks black to me. [ATTACH=CONFIG]16140[/ATTACH]
            Oh, and it even has painted trunk hinges!!!!
            JS
            Is that the Slifer car? If so, I'm pretty sure I remember him telling me that the car had been completely disassembled and put back together.

Comment

The pictures posted by JTS359 look like something the factory would have done. The masking on the front of the opening looks like it was done quick & isnt exactly even as one would have expected by an owner or dealer. Notice too the overspray inside of the nose panel & how there is no paint on the rubber filler for the bumper bracket, but the radiator support bolts are painted but none at all on the radiator. Looks pretty original to me.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                Is that the Slifer car? If so, I'm pretty sure I remember him telling me that the car had been completely disassembled and put back together.
                Yes Matt, it is the Slifer car. And yes, it did have a freshening up, mostly mechanical, the paint, interior and trim are straight from the factory. I hope Bruce will correct me if I'm wrong. It is great to see this beauty being shown again after a looooong hibernation.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                  The pictures posted by JTS359 look like something the factory would have done. The masking on the front of the opening looks like it was done quick & isnt exactly even as one would have expected by an owner or dealer. Notice too the overspray inside of the nose panel & how there is no paint on the rubber filler for the bumper bracket, but the radiator support bolts are painted but none at all on the radiator. Looks pretty original to me.
                  Curiouser and curiouser....by the way, the rubber slides back out of the way as it isn't locked into position , and the edge of the core support can be back masked easily to keep paint off the radiator.

Keep this thread going....I'm wanting to see a consensus as to what I should be painting future restorations. I love this forum for advancing my knowledge of the marque.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My two cents. I have seen hundreds of Avantis over the years and many had that area painted black.

Comment

Brad, take a look at the other pics of my Avanti. Easy to figure out the masking as you'll see. An area never touched until I cleaned the grime off. You know the history. BTW, production was Feb 63
                      Jim
                      Often in error, never in doubt
                      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X