No announcement yet.

Mini starters available for 289?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Mini starters available for 289?

I've searched high and low but can't find info on mini starters or standard replacements. I've heard some Ford starters will work. Can anyone confirm this for me and what Ford starter I should be looking for.
    Thank you once again for your help.
    Harvey

The Ford V6 starter works on the adapters made by several different vendors to bolt GM trannies up to Stude V8's. Every thing else you have to buy a clock-able Mini-starter and make your own adapter plate. Simple with a 1 1/2" thick X 5 1/2" diam. chunk of aluminum. Oh! and of course a lathe and mill.

Comment

Hi Harvey is the New Carter R1 Fuel Pump working OK?

The original 4 brush H.D. Avanti Prestolite Starter should be more than enough to spin a 289, get it rebuilt at a Starter, Generator/Alternator (Auto Electric) Shop.

Whatcom Electric and Battery 2021 Toledo St. Bellingham. 360 733 5051
      Last edited by StudeRich; 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: gs-xnr,----- Before You purchase/rebuild that starter, or pretty much anything else Avanti related, always call Dave Thibeault.........978-897-3158 He's A#1!

Comment

And in Mass. Dave is going to help with a 30 Lb. Starter exactly HOW?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Rich, thanks for the info on a rebuilder. And, yes, everything worked out very well with the guel pump. Thank you! The problem wasn't the size of the pump just my old eyes. I enjoyed our short visit looking at your "flock". Cheers, Harvey

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            Hi Harvey is the New Carter R1 Fuel Pump working OK?

The original 4 brush H.D. Avanti Prestolite Starter should be more than enough to spin a 289, get it rebuilt at a Starter, Generator/Alternator (Auto Electric) Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              The Ford V6 starter works on the adapters made by several different vendors to bolt GM trannies up to Stude V8's. Every thing else you have to buy a clock-able Mini-starter and make your own adapter plate. Simple with a 1 1/2" thick X 5 1/2" diam. chunk of aluminum. Oh! and of course a lathe and mill.
              If anyone has a drawing, I'd like to make at least 1
              Jim
              Often in error, never in doubt
              http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

wasn't Phil Harris doing a ministarter for the V8s? For a while it was on his website, but no further info at that point.
                sigpic
                JohnP, driving & reviving
                60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by allstateguy View Post
                  wasn't Phil Harris doing a ministarter for the V8s? For a while it was on his website, but no further info at that point.
                  I think that starter was a Jerry Ikard built unit, Phil used to have a few, but, I think not now.....The last I heard from Phil about those starters he was trying to work something out with Jerry's daughter so he could reproduce them, not sure where that went ......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Starter rebuilder

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Hi Rich
                    Saw Mike at Whatcom Electric yesterday. Very nice fellow. He is going to rebuild my existing starter and have it ready by Friday. Thank you for the referral.
                    Harvey

Comment

To: StudeRich,----- Cross-Country would be no problem, actually, He ships parts to folks all over the World! Take care, SN-60

Comment

Working...
                      X