Video of the Test Track tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video of the Test Track tour

I have a GoPro camera that I bought to use for training/coaching young race car drivers. I plan to bring it to SB to do some recording. Mostly I thought it would be cool to record the cars going around the track

My plan is to mount the camera on the roof of my Lark. I'll do some footage with it facing forward, then stop and change it to rear facing. My thought is to do most of the footage facing the rear. I will be operating it from shotgun position, with Brian Greenall as the driver.

The GoPro takes amazing footage! It has a 170 degree view angle, so it should be ideal for catching all the cars in action. To give an idea of what this can do, check this video. It's A.J. Bernys, one of our young drivers. Doing pretty well for 17 years old! Top speed is about 125 MPH coming into the turns.

BTW- The video ends with A.J. smacking the wall at the 10:43 mark. Just prior to that, you see him miss his entry just a bit and a car #93 dive under him. The camera shows that the 93 got in too hard and missed the turn, and A.J. made a great move to duck back under him coming off turn 4. You'll see the 93 hanging the tail out as A.J passes him; then the 93 gets into the RR of A.J., sending him into the wall. Punchline: the driver of the 93 is my brother, Jay It's a tough business.....

Anyway, looking at the footage, I think this would be great for the Proving Ground track laps. It's so clear and real-looking I can't watch that video without instinctively pushing the loud pedal to the floor

The plan is to make a movie of it and post it to YouTube for everyone to see. My last attempt to do video, Lancaster '08, did not go well- WAY to jittery This time I have a monopod to help with stability, plus the GoPro should give big strides in quality.

Any pro videographer tips?
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Great minds, Bob. I've volunteered Jim McCuan's GoPro to be stuck somewhere on a buddy's R2 Hawk when we take it around the track.

Stop by my inside vending space sometime during the week and we'll work together on this. Maybe put the two videos together with views from different angles on each one.

Comment

Good idea, Matt! We should coordinate this. Hopefully I'll know how to edit by then
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Can you mount a remote microphone at the exhaust pipe for some background music?
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Brent- I could, as there's a provision for that. Not sure how many want to hear a flat 6 though
          Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
            Brent- I could, as there's a provision for that. Not sure how many want to hear a flat 6 though
            Hey Bob, you told me you are going to have the R2 fitted into the Lark by then!
            Brian Greenall
            Melbourne, OZ
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by packardHawk58 View Post
              Hey Bob, you told me you are going to have the R2 fitted into the Lark by then!
              Well, that was the plan. But since I don't know your driving skills, I thought it best to keep you under 160 kph, which is about the top end of the 6 banger. So for this year, no r2
              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Seems a little, I'll say, brave to be standing that close to the track

Comment

Originally posted by 2r10jim View Post
                  Seems a little, I'll say, brave to be standing that close to the track
                  Not sure what you're referring to here? As stated in the first post, we'll be on the track, and I'll be filming from the car.
                  Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

My plan is to mount the camera on the roof of my Lark. I'll do some footage with it facing forward, then stop and change it to rear facing. My thought is to do most of the footage facing the rear. I will be operating it from shotgun position, with Brian Greenall as the driver.

You gonna put the steering wheel on the right side?
                    1936 Dictator
                    1950 Champion Regal 4 dr parts car
                    1953 Commander Regal HT
                    1953 2R5 Pickup
                    1947 M16 Truck
                    1960 Lark VIII Convertible
                    1960 Champ 5E7 step side short box
                    1962 Champ 7E5 no box
                    1962 GT Hawk
                    1963 Lark VI 4 dr
                    1963 GT Hawk R2
                    1964 Daytona Convertible
                    1964 Commander Wagonaire

“America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” ~ Abraham Lincoln​

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
                      You gonna put the steering wheel on the right side?
                      No, and that's the risk I'm taking with an Aussie driving. At least the traffic flow is all one direction, so we don't have to worry about 'which side of the road'...
                      Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

I have a GoPro camera that I bought to use for training/coaching young race car drivers. I plan to bring it to SB to do some recording. Mostly I thought it would be cool to record the cars going around the track

The GoPro takes amazing footage! It has a 170 degree view angle, so it should be ideal for catching all the cars in action. To give an idea of what this can do, check this video. It's A.J. Bernys, one of our young drivers. Doing pretty well for 17 years old! Top speed is about 125 MPH coming into the turns.

BTW- The video ends with A.J. smacking the wall at the 10:43 mark. Just prior to that, you see him miss his entry just a bit and a car #93 dive under him. The camera shows that the 93 got in too hard and missed the turn, and A.J. made a great move to duck back under him coming off turn 4. You'll see the 93 hanging the tail out as A.J passes him; then the 93 gets into the RR of A.J., sending him into the wall. Punchline: the driver of the 93 is my brother, Jay It's a tough business.....

Anyway, looking at the footage, I think this would be great for the Proving Ground track laps. It's so clear and real-looking I can't watch that video without instinctively pushing the loud pedal to the floor

The plan is to make a movie of it and post it to YouTube for everyone to see. My last attempt to do video, Lancaster '08, did not go well- WAY to jittery This time I have a monopod to help with stability, plus the GoPro should give big strides in quality.

Bob you have got to be nuts if you are going to let Brian drive your car, he is use to driving on the wrong side of the road and might even be going the wrong way, but if you do let him then I might have to let Ian Mackellar drive my Avanti there, just kidding I have found the people from Australia are good drivers and better over here than I would be over there, see you there.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Ok guys while you are on the subject of driving on the "wrong side" contemplate this one, I drive my Amercian cars which are left hand drive on the left hand side of the road, so you are driving next to the gutter and you have to judge the centre of the road and oncoming vehicles, lots of people drive them like this out here because they don't have to convert them over anymore if the the vehicle is 30 years and over in age. A test track........a piece of cake!
                          Brian Greenall
                          Melbourne, OZ
                          sigpic

Comment

Well, Brian- I'll take a chance on you since we'll only be in a lowly Lark VI. If it was something valuable, welllll.....
                            Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Just an update- I'm making up a fixture that will allow me to firmly mount the camera above the roof of the Lark, yet allow me to turn it between front and rear view from the passenger's seat at any time. This will eliminate the prospect of pulling over to switch views- and deciding which view to start with and when to switch. I think I have a good design.

My goal is to capture the scene and the 'feel' of the event, and the facility; and especially the cars and people. I always love footage of cars moving with a camera at pace instead of stationary, filming cars passing by. Based on my memories of '07, we should be able to get most, if not all, vehicles on the track, on camera.

Hopefully, this will come out to be a good memento of the event, and a good representation of same for those who can't be there. After all, who knows if this will be possible in five years??
                              Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Working...
                              X