Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1953 Studebaker Starlight $4500.00

Howdy guys,

I've lurked here for about a year after buying my 53.

Reality of putting it together has finally sank in and it needs to go to a better home. Maybe someone here can finish her off.

1953 Studebaker Starlight coupe, 2 door, unfinished project, $4500.00 Clear Nevada title in my name, matches VIN on car.

Car is located in Boulder City, NV, 89005
    Previous owner replaced the stock drivetrain with an Oldsmobile all aluminum 215 V8, Saginaw 4 speed with hydraulic clutch, 3.0 geared 8" Ford rearend (posi). He blew the car apart, had it body worked and painted a Lambo metallic orange (hugger orange with gold metallic), it then sat in his covered carport unassembled till I purchased it last summer. PO had started color sanding the trunk and hood.

I believe I have all the bits and pieces for the car ie bumpers, grill, lights, trim, windows, seats (front and back), instrument panel, stock gauges. The engine install looks very nice.

I bought the car from previous owner, trailered it home, put it in the garage and it has sat there ever since. I never started it, PO said it runs, shifts etc. but I never verified.

If anyone is interested you can reach me at casadepokey@hotmail.com

Thx, Bill

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewed 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1736057Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewed 003.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1736058Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewed 002.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1736059Click image for larger version

Name:	Stewed 004.jpg
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	1736060
    Last edited by Dreamweaver; 07-10-2012, 06:10 AM. Reason: Lowered price

Just a word of advice: You're gonna scare folks by calling this a "sedan". There WAS a 2-dr sedan for 53, and it bears some superfluous resemblence to THIS car, but they're worlds apart in reality. This is a Starlight Coupe (or Post Coupe as an alternate - but it's not a sedan. Yes, the photos provided do tell the truth, but still I'd leave out "sedan".
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thx Rosco,

Must admit I'm a noob when it comes to all things Stubebaker other than I love this bodystyle.

Comment

If the bodywork beneath the paint is sound, it looks like you've got a great start to a beautiful car. Sorry you weren't able to take it on yourself.
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Agreed. It's a pretty good start to something cool. This is a model on my "someday" list. I've got too many to take another project on, but this would be a fun project, for sure!
          '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Maybe you Stude guys could help me out here on what model this is.

I've had folks telling me it's not a starlight but rather a champion deluxe 2 door sedan.

Any experts help me out here? I dislike misrepresenting what it is.

Thx

Comment

The car in the photos is definitely a Starlight Coupe, no question about it.
              Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

You didn't believe my original assessment??? Well, since there's no visible details that would peg this as a Champion or Commander, it's hard to call that one. But IT IS a "Starlight Coupe" - NOT a sedan (remember, you're asking STUDEBAKER folks here - and I happen to own one like this). The Champions and Commanders shared bodies - no matter what body style we're talking about. The difference between them were 6 vs. V8 and some minor trim differences that aren't visible on your car. What I'm working trowards saying is that there were Champion Starlight Coupes as well as Commander Starlight Coupes. Same with any other body style of this year with the exception of the "Land Cruiser" model - that was only offered asa a V8.

Your car's body tag (mounted on ther firewall - just inboard of the RH hood hinge) could read 14G-C5 (or C3) if it's a Champion. If it's a Commander, the tag would read 4H-C5 (or C3) There'll also be a few digits below that line that is the BODY'S serial# and has nothing to do with the car's actual serial (VIN, if you like). Thing is, the "C" digit will confirm it's a Starlight Coupe, and NOT a 2-dr sedan - which would carry an "F" body designator.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamweaver View Post
                  Maybe you Stude guys could help me out here on what model this is.

I've had folks telling me it's not a starlight but rather a champion deluxe 2 door sedan.

Any experts help me out here? I dislike misrepresenting what it is.
                  Thx
                  Tell em they are wrong. I cant tell from the pics if it was a champion or a commander. If it still has the stock dash you can tell by it or by the body tag on the firewall passenger side under the hood. Champion dash face is flat, all lights/gauges on same piece, commander has 4? seperate pods that house everything. It is definately a coupe not a sedan. Rear side windows in the coupes are smaller than sedan windows and pop out, sedan rear windows roll down. Good Luck, Steve
                  Last edited by wolfie; 06-28-2012, 06:28 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Should be a sedan pic here. Notice also the backslash on the side. It ends in the door on the c/k's and the quarter on the sedan. Steve
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by wolfie; 06-28-2012, 06:25 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Rosco,

My comment wasn't directed to you. I have my car listed other places and some of THOSE people were saying it's not a Starlight. So I came back here to the experts to help me understand a bit more of what I have. If you will notice I changed my description here to reflect your well apreciated comments right after you first posted them.

So a Champion was a 6 and the Commander an 8. I'll look and see if that tag is still there.

Thx again guys, I may be here more often as I intend to at least start reassembling it as I'm sure the more complete it is the better luck I'll have in selling it.

I should probably work on getting the motor running.

I don't want to put much more $$ into this as I really do want to sell it.

Comment

If it is a Champion, the VIN will start with a G. Otherwise it is a Commander. The VIN, not to be confused with the body tag, is on a metal plate riveted to the A pillar just in front of the driver's door.
                        Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse here, but Starlight Coupe is redundant, as would be Starliner Hardtop. All Starlights were coupes, and all Starliners were hardtops.
                          Chip
                          '63 Cruiser
                          '57 Packard wagon
                          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

You're certainly right, Chip - but 60 years out from their debut, it's a rare day that someone says only Starlight or Starliner. Heck, most of the "unwashed" call 'em "Lowboys"!

Comment

Price is negotiable.

Comment

Working...
                              X