My Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Project

OK, the time has come to get moving on my project. It's a 1964 Daytona 2-door hardtop. This is the production order;

I've had this car since 2003. It was bought in South Lake Tahoe, CA for $880 as a roller (no engine or transmission). When I purchased the car, the idea was to just toss a Chevy crate engine at it and be done. But over time, and after spending too much time on this site , I have changed what I want this car to be.

I've always had a bit of hot rodder in me, and this car will reflect that. But I have been greatly influenced by Dick Steinkamp's '54 Starliner, Ron Butt's '59 Lark, and the '65 Commander that was on Ebay that belonged to Boyd Coddington's favorite customer, Scotty. This car will be a restomod.

Dick once mentioned that he built the Starliner they way he would have wanted when he was in high school. I like this idea and it has stuck with me (I hope I didn't embarass you Dick [)]). Having been raised in metro Detroit within a stones throw of Gratiot Ave. and Woodward Ave., I like the stories of the Big 4 engineers taking their latest, greatest machines out to the street to do battle. I can picture in my mind Jimmy Addison's '67 Plymouth GTX (given to him by the Chrysler engineering staff) lining up at the light against one of Ace Wilson's Royal Bobcat GTO's (Ace Wilson owned Royal Pontiac and did all the serious tuning on the Pontiacs in the area including stuff sent by PMD). This makes me think of 4-speeds, slapper bars, mag wheels and other period speed equipment.

So with minor exceptions that shouldn't be visible, everything on the car should be no older than 1967. No high schooler would have had a brand new car, but it wouldn't have been uncommon to have a 3 year old car. My car, as you can tell from the production order, was equiped typical for the time. While my car came with a 4-speed, it came with a 289 2-bbl, an open 3.31 rear axle, bucket seats and a console. Extras included a push button radio, Climatizer, white wall tires and full wheel covers.

So based on this, what would a young guy do to improve his Daytona in the late '60's? On the outside, a set of 15" X 6" Cragar S/S wheels mounted with the latest performance polyglass tires (7.75X15) with gold or red stripes? A set of traction bars tucked under the rear axle? A set of 3.73's or 4.10's? Inside he might have an aftermarket AM-FM radio, an 8-track tape player, a reverb unit and rear speakers. Maybe even a wood steering wheel and hurst shifter to be a little sporty.

Under the hood there would have been a change to a 4-bbl carb and intake, a cam change, the heads ported and headers. Because our boy isn't rich, and because then as now, superchargers and their pieces aren't easy to come by, it will most likely stay a R1 'want-to-be'. The change to a dual master cylinder would be for safety. A dual exhaust with Thrush style glass-pack mufflers to clear out the spent gasses with nice mellow tone would add to the package. Can anyone think of anything else?

This is the car as it currently sits in the garage;

I have a picture of the car in the signature showing what the car looked like when I bought it. The picture next to it will always be the way the car looks at that time. There might be a third picture every now and then of something has been down 'off the car'. I'm going to track the build in this thread. This can be real good or real embarassing (I'm hoping it going to be good ). If there is anything I can add as a 'How To', I'll put that in the tech area.

One other thing. My one concession on this build my be adding A/C. While I don't think too many cars patroled Woodward with the A/C on, living in Florida has kind of made this something to think about [B)].

OK, I'm open to suggestions and feedback .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

quote:Originally posted by Swifster

OK, the time has come to get moving on my project. It's a 1964 Daytona 2-door hardtop. So with minor exceptions that shouldn't be visible, everything on the car should be no older than 1967. No high schooler would have had a brand new car, but it wouldn't have been uncommon to have a 3 year old car. My car, as you can tell from the production order, was equiped typical for the time. While my car came with a 4-speed, it came with a 289 2-bbl, an open 3.31 rear axle, bucket seats and a console. Extras included a push button radio, Climatizer, white wall tires and full wheel covers.

So based on this, what would a young guy do to improve his Daytona in the late '60's? On the outside, a set of 15" X 6" Cragar S/S wheels mounted with the latest performance polyglass tires (7.75X15) with gold or red stripes? A set of traction bars tucked under the rear axle? A set of 3.73's or 4.10's? Inside he might have an aftermarket AM-FM radio, an 8-track tape player, a reverb unit and rear speakers. Maybe even a wood steering wheel and hurst shifter to be a little sporty.

Under the hood there would have been a change to a 4-bbl carb and intake, a cam change, the heads ported and headers. Because our boy isn't rich, and because then as now, superchargers and their pieces aren't easy to come by, it will most likely stay a R1 'want-to-be'. The change to a dual master cylinder would be for safety. A dual exhaust with Thrush style glass-pack mufflers to clear out the spent gasses with nice mellow tone would add to the package. Can anyone think of anything else?

Tom - Valrico, FL
    Tom,

Sounds like a great project!! I was getting ready to suggest Torque-thrust wheels, but after thinking about it a little more, I believe you are right - in '67 it would have been Cragar SS wheels. Slapper bars for sure, Hurst shifter for sure, and Thrush mufflers for double sure!

Maybe consider an Avanti steering wheel instead of the aftermarket wood rimed steering wheel. (Kid goes to ex-Studebaker dealership, still servicing Studebakers, and parts guy makes him an offer he can't refuse on an Avanti steering wheel that was ordered by mistake......)

Maybe the kid also comes across a R4 intake.....multiple carbs were also hot then.

Another idea, although I don't personally think I would do it on my car, would be some sort of hood scoop. These were all the rage on factory cars in the late '60s, and a lot of folks were putting them on earlier cars. I don't know what hood scoop would look good with the '64 styling tho.

Looking forward to the other ideas this thread generates!

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Tom,
      I like the plan. []. The Cragers will look just right on the car. I really like the idea of the red lines also. Not many are doing that, but it would be very "period perfect". You'll need the slapper bars if you want to launch hard. They work very well on my '54 (much better than expected...no difference in ride quality and no spring wind up...best $30 I ever spent!). You may want to switch to a TT rear or the Richmond Gear locker that I used. The low gears (I've just installed 4.27's) really wake the 4 speed up. Not great for long distances, but how much of that are you really going to do?

Sticking with a near stock motor is a good idea. Get some kind of rumpty rumpy cam (Phil Harris might be a good source). I've never been a glass pack fan (too raspy). Maybe some turbo mufflers or even Flomasters.

Stance is important (to me at least ). Studes generally have a nose up attitude. IMHO they all look better with just a little front rake...not in the weeds, but just a little nose down.

I'm not sure I can add anything to your plan. It sounds perfect to me (oh...I guess I'd fix that hole in the windshield ).

So many "builders" start out with no plan and just wing it as they go. Those cars show it. Those that have a carefully thought out "theme" end up with a much better looking car...whether it be a resto-rod or a new-stalgia car, or something waaaay out there. The plan makes all the difference.

Get to work! Keep us updated.

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
        Stance is important (to me at least ). Studes generally have a nose up attitude. IMHO they all look better with just a little front rake...not in the weeds, but just a little nose down.
        Oh Yeah!! Tom's right......no self-respecting kid in '67 would have left the car level or slightly higher in the front. Long shackles would have beeen one of the first things added to get that rear up (although today there are better ways to do it). I "think" that widespread usage of air shocks to jack the back end up was still a few years off in '67, but I may be wrong. An alternate "2007" method might be to add one or two spring leafs to the rear spring pacs.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

North Sacramento! That's the same destination as my '58 Provincial shows. Does anyone know if that was a "stock yard" for Studebaker? The reason I ask is that the car wears dealership plate frames from Pittsburg, CA and that puts it closer to the Bay area.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Paul, I kept the scoop out of the picture because the only attractive piece I could think of was the one used on the '67 Dodge S/S Coronets, but I think this would be a bit much on a smaller Daytona.

Dick, I did plan on using a twin traction or similar rear end. I might get a second rear end with a 4.10. I want to drive the car often and I'm not sure how this would translate. I did plan on dropping the nose just enough to give it a nose down attitude.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

I want to drive the car often and I'm not sure how this would translate.
              IMHO, the negative effects of a low ratio rear end are exaggerated.

I cruised for 30,000 miles with the 3.54's in my '54. 3,000 RPMs at 70 MPH. I now do about 3,600 RPM's at 70 MPH with the 4.27's. Not the end of the world. 3.73's might be a good compromise and you can stay with your present carrier.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

IMHO, the negative effects of a low ratio rear end are exaggerated.

I cruised for 30,000 miles with the 3.54's in my '54. 3,000 RPMs at 70 MPH. I now do about 3,600 RPM's at 70 MPH with the 4.27's. Not the end of the world. 3.73's might be a good compromise and you can stay with your present carrier.
                To be honest, having the carrier I have is a another reason I decided to only go with the 3.73's. Again, I might prep a second rear axle if the right piece comes along. I would like to see low 13 second times with the car the the 4.27's and 4.55's would definitely help that.

Paul mentioned the Torque Thrust wheels further up. There were numerous aftermarket wheel companies in the '60's like ET, Halibrand, Ansen and Crestline, just to name a few. Some wheels, like the American 200-S, or 'daisy wheel', didn't come out until 1969. Many of Keystones stuff didn't come out until the '70's either. I never really cared for the ET stuff so it did come down to either the Torque Thrust's, the Cragar or Hurst wheels. While I know where I could score the Hurst wheels, they are/will be expensive and would need to be restored. They are also closely associated with GTO's and Hurst Olds cars. I see a lot of vintage cars wearing Torque Thrust's so I thought the Cragars would be a nice touch (and they're $70 cheaper per wheel).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

There were numerous aftermarket wheel companies in the '60's like ET, Halibrand, Ansen and Crestline, just to name a few. Some wheels, like the American 200-S, or 'daisy wheel', didn't come out until 1969. Many of Keystones stuff didn't come out until the '70's either. I never really cared for the ET stuff so it did come down to either the Torque Thrust's, the Cragar or Hurst wheels. While I know where I could score the Hurst wheels, they are/will be expensive and would need to be restored. They are also closely associated with GTO's and Hurst Olds cars. I see a lot of vintage cars wearing Torque Thrust's so I thought the Cragars would be a nice touch (and they're $70 cheaper per wheel).

Tom - Valrico, FL
                  I remember the American 'daisy' wheels well. These were always one of my favorites, but I agree they came out a little later than '67. Around home, a number of Corvette Stingrays got the American daisy wheels as soon as they came out. I always thought they looked a little better on cars that were a little "sporty" like 'vettes, Mustangs, Cobras, etc.

Personal opinion here, I never liked Keystones very much. Maybe because I never saw many at the drags, unlike the Cragar SS and the slotted-type mags.

I still think your choice of Cragar SS wheels is right on the money for this era.

Paul

Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

StudeDude confesses: "You're supposed to have a plan? Now I know where I went wrong!"

Heh - why do you think I had that look of raw terror on my mug in that sig pic of yours???

Miscreant adrift in
                    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey Swifster...I too have a '64 Dayt HT and its just about the same optioned as yours ...I put those ss cragars on mine and they sure make the car look great (IMHO) ....just love that Daytona's handling and drivability.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                      1960 Lark 2dr
                      1960 Champ
                      1964 Daytona HT
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Hey Swifster...I too have a '64 Dayt HT and its just about the same optioned as yours ...I put those ss cragars on mine and they sure make the car look great (IMHO) ....just love that Daytona's handling and drivability.
                        OK, so don't tease me. Post up a pick showing the wheels. So far the cheapest price has been $135.99 per wheel.

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Finally got pic to go on.

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
                          1960 Lark 2dr
                          1960 Champ
                          1964 Daytona HT
                          sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 2R5

Bob, the wheels do look great on your car. What size tires are you running? P205/75R15?

Tom - Valrico, FL

Tom - Bradenton, FL

Comment

Tom, I don't know what you're thinking! That old piece of junk isn't worth saving!! I'd recommend you dump it for whatever you can get out of it and move on to something worth the effort...

In fact, you seem like a good guy, so just to help you out I'm willing to make the supreme sacrifice and get it out of there for you! And don't worry about me, I'll figure out some way to dispose of it..............

Seriously, I look forward to tracking your progress- good luck, and go get 'em!!

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X