PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Plug Engineering

kamzack
06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Sharing this creative bit engineering. This one several bits of engineering I've found in tearing down the 58 2 door wagon I'm working on. Another is the gaping hole in the trans hump. Does anyone have a parts car with a good center section? Will need from the firewall to just under the front seat.
Kim

DEEPNHOCK
06-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Looks like a real cooper worked on your engine:rolleyes:
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

cooper
noun
1. a person who makes or repairs casks, barrels, etc.

studegary
06-25-2012, 01:48 PM
They are not "freeze plugs". They are core plugs to block the hole where the casting sand is allowed to come out of the block. Yes, the proper kind will pop out if you freeze the block, but that is not the intended purpose or a good situation.

R_David
06-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Gary, are you saying that the cork is what is supposed to be in there?

StudeDave57
06-25-2012, 04:56 PM
Does anyone have a parts car with a good center section? Will need from the firewall to just under the front seat. Kim
I'm not in a position right now, but within the week I can see about getting you some pictures of what I have.
'course my cars are in Washington State... :rolleyes: :ohmy:

StudeRich
06-25-2012, 05:02 PM
I think the term is: "Rube Goldberg"!! :woot: :rolleyes: :lol:

Use the Brass disc. type 1 1/2 inch core plugs and forget it. :)

skyway
06-25-2012, 05:26 PM
My not running '62 OHV6, had a whittled wooden plug in place of the front core plug in the head.
Admittedly, I think its real purpose was to keep the critters out for the 25 plus years that it was waiting for me to come to the rescue.
I did the usual major block flush, and removed about a pound of casting sand & wire, and gunk.
All new core plugs and it runs fine but may have low oil pressure.

bezhawk
06-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Looks like a real cooper worked on your engine:rolleyes:
Jeffhttp://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/images/icons/icon6.png

cooper
noun
1. a person who makes or repairs casks, barrels, etc.

See, that's what happens when you run alcohol anti-freeze

SN-60
06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
I believe whoever came up with that 'fix' drank too much of the alcohol anti-freeze.

rockinhawk
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I had flushed and cleaned A friend's 62 GT and was having an awful time getting the plugs back in. I stopped for awhile to cool off and regroup. While I was taking my break, I call an old friend who was a retired machinist and fellow club member. I asked if he knew an easy way to install freeze plugs. He said "Well, did you freeze 'em?" I said "No, but I think I'm going to."
Stuck 'em in the freezer overnight and they went right in the next day. I keep a set in there now, Just in case...

kamzack
06-26-2012, 11:38 AM
This is a wood dowel and still had the jagged edge of the rusted out feeze plug in it and was a challenge to get out. And is tapered on the opposite end. Looks like pinnochio's nose , or.
Kim

62champ
06-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Wonder what this did for water flow?

studegary
06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
Gary, are you saying that the cork is what is supposed to be in there?

No! How could you make that leap of logic?