Steering bellcrank bearings/ bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering bellcrank bearings/ bushings

A member of our club has an all original 65 Cruiser, or so I thought. I have been trying to help him get his car back on the road. He is trying to get his bellcrank pin and bearings replaced. Apparently, sometime in the past, someone switched his bellcrank with an older unit with bearings. I thought that most cars from 63 up used bushings on the pin. Is this correct? I ordered the rebuild kit for a 65 and of course, it came with bushings. Does anyone sell the bearings separately?
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

I have a 70 Avanti which used bushings and replaced the entire unit with one with needle bearings. I used the original bellcrank and everything bolted right up. As an aside, the difference in turning effort was reduced by a large factor.
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

IIRC
      I think Ray Ficthorn had a link/comment about putting three bearings in the hub instead of two, and that helped spread the load to make it steer easier/wear longer...
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
        /Cut/Does anyone sell the bearings separately?
        Yes Jamie, I have them in stock, PM me.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mr. McLeod,

I have the early rebuild kits with bearings. Drop me a note at bomarkham@embarqmail.com
          Bo

Comment

Working...
          X