60 Lark Convertible Wiring *update* - DONE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Lark Convertible Wiring *update* - DONE

Update 7-23: wiring is done! See you in South Bend!

UPDATE
    7/15/12: I started rewiring using a front chassis harness purchased from Studebaker International (but it had a Studebakers West tag on it)

Got the engine bay part done today, will be tackling the dash half this week.
    I have a couple questions however.
    Jump to post #41 (top of page 2)

=======================================================

Hi,
    I have had many troubles the last 2 years after purchasing the 60 lark convertible, but happy to report it's finally back on the road.
    After a 2nd engine rebuild, I took it on it's maiden voyage last night. Just a short 20 mile trip around town just before it got dark, but it sounded great.

Only bad part: My 9 year old daughter as she's getting into the car says: "everyone wear shoes so we can walk home!"

Ouch!!!

(Will post a new picture once I get it washed up today. It's been sitting in the garage since Springfield 2011.)

============
    EDIT: posting pix.
    washed and shined up for a trip to the state fairgrounds for Back to the 50's today!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by gohdes; 07-23-2012, 08:59 PM.

Congratulations! Looking forward to the pictures.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

[QUOTE=gohdes;655925]Hi,
      "everyone wear shoes so we can walk home!"

My kids say "Make sure you bring your cell phone so we can call someone WHEN the car breaks down"
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Glad to hear the good news. I finally got time to put insurance on my '64 convert yesterday and finally got to drive it in the afternoon. I brought my youngest nephew with and went through the Dairy Queen drive-thru to retrieve dinner. On the way there, I took a corner too fast and the front right wheelcover flew off and into the highway ditch. After searching in the waist high grass for 15 minutes, I found the wheelcover and reinstalled it. I also found out that the heater leaks engine coolant under the dash as evidenced by my nephews wet shoes! With that in mind, I suggest to your daughter that she wear rubber boots when riding in a Studebaker.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Congratulations!

My 1960 Lark Convertible has turned into a 10 year plan.

BTW: AAA and a cell phone are always a good bet, just in case....
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
            Glad to hear the good news. I finally got time to put insurance on my '64 convert yesterday and finally got to drive it in the afternoon. I brought my youngest nephew with and went through the Dairy Queen drive-thru to retrieve dinner. On the way there, I took a corner too fast and the front right wheelcover flew off and into the highway ditch. After searching in the waist high grass for 15 minutes, I found the wheelcover and reinstalled it. I also found out that the heater leaks engine coolant under the dash as evidenced by my nephews wet shoes! With that in mind, I suggest to your daughter that she wear rubber boots when riding in a Studebaker.
            haha, thanks for the laugh! I can just see that hubcap rolling along the shoulder!

Comment

At least the child didn't tell you to put the title in the glove compartment so that when the miserable hulk croaks on the road you can sell it for scrap to get cab fare home. Seriously, congrats for another running Stude!

Comment

Tisk tisk, somebody didnt get their heater valve repaired.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  Tisk tisk, somebody didnt get their heater valve repaired.
                  you weren't supposed to see that, I should have cropped the photo. Actually I soaked it for a day and a half and it is free, but the cable to control it is not, so I didn't hook it up. Didn't want it to be stuck open or closed since I am not completely sure how it works. I figured I can always do that as a different weekend project. Must read the shop manual some more. I didn't want too many variables to keep me off the road any longer.

Comment

That is one sweet looking ride! Nicely done. I bet your excited driving it now!!
                    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                    64 Zip Van
                    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

My wife says I carry enough spare parts (just in case) in the trunk to cover everything,been stranded a few times over the years so I would rather be prepared.
                      That year is my favorite Lark convertible.
                      Last edited by kmul221; 06-23-2012, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Eric, that's really pretty in the Oasis Green; congratulations.

Here's a piece of relevant trivia: You've probably heard of Donald Davidson, the Official Historian of The Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Of course, he is a native of England and moved to The United States as a grown young man, pursuing his passion for The Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Well, he told me personally that when he moved to The United States, the first automobile he purchased and drove here was an Oasis Green 1960 Studebaker Lark Convertible!

So you're in good company. BP
                        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

after only having the car back about 2 weeks since an engine rebuild, took the lark for a drive today, and it kept stalling on me. couldn't figure out what the deal was. Was on Lexington Ave near 694 in a construction zone so I completely blocked the whole road. Finally got it rolled back down a half block to a gas station. Then smoke started coming from the hood. It was weird cause the temp gauge was fine. Then I smelled it. It was not the radiator. Opened the hood to discover a nice electrical fire and all my wires were frying and smoking. A little flame even. I had a fire extinguisher in the trunk, but the repair garage was right there and I ran and grabbed theirs. Pooof! took care of that. It started again. One of the mechanics grabbed a 1/2 in wrench and quickly pulled the battery cable off for me. Poooof! with the extinguisher a 2nd time. It was out.
                          It completely fried the wiring from the starter selenoid, to the voltage regulator, all the way around to the generator which was smoking too.
                          Thank God I was at that gas station/repair garage. I had the extinguisher in the trunk, but I did not have a wrench to get the battery unhooked. Had I been on the side of the highway, I would have had to just yank hot melted wires. yikes!

I think that the problem was the wiring near the throttle linkage. I think it may have been rubbing there and I didn't notice.

Anyone near the Twin Cities want to help me re-wire my engine bay?
                          Not sure I will be able to do it before South Bend!!

I swear this car is cursed.
                          When the tow truck showed up, it started smoking, and something was leaking out the bottom of the engine. Guy looked under the hood and his fuel filter had a hole in it! He said he had to high-tail it back to the shop and switch trucks. Came back 20 minutes later. In the meantime, the fuel delivery truck came and needed to get right where I was to fill the tanks. So, I had to push the car another 100 feet backwards to get out of his way!
                          Good Lord, I am not sure I am destined to own this car any longer.
                          Problem is the body and paint is all done, I have done 2 engine rebuilds in the last 2 years (long story short, first one was ruined by a stuck metering rod in the edelbrock carb) and I'm into the car for about 3 times what it's worth.
                          I am just about at my wits end.
                          I told the tow truck driver to "accidently" hit the release when we hit 60mph on the freeway, and I'll take the insurance.

By the way, the emergency road service I signed up for through JC Whitney was sure a lifesaver tonight!
                          Last edited by gohdes; 06-29-2012, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Your car is great. I really like the color, I have never seen the color before. Hang in there with the problems, you will get through them.
                            Perry
                            \'50 Business Champion
                            \'50 Starlight Champion
                            \'60 Lark Convertible,
                            \'63 GT R1,
                            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Keep your head up - with a car that good looking you have to keep at it. Sorry to read about your latest trouble - old cars can be a double edged sword. Get up, dust yourself off, and try and trace down why your wiring harness decided to give up the ghost.

Nice thing about wiring is that it does not weigh north of 600 lbs!

Best of luck and my wife got a real chuckle out of your daughter's comment and she added "sounds like a very intelligent young lady."

Comment

Working...
                              X