Why do these guys do this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do these guys do this

About 1yr. ago I started helping a friend restore a 25 Standard 6.I knew of 2 29's A Commander & Dictator & a body shell only for a Rockne that had been sitting in the open for 40 + yrs.We went 2-c the owner & he relented fron past about selling the parts as he said"I may as well the cars are sinking into the ground " As all was rusty we & no tools we took nothing off that day.We returned in a few weeks & managed to remove some parts that could serve as patterns for replacement parts EG, spark-control rods & acclel.rods,We removed the starter & generator only to fine the water had got in & destroyed the Gen. & distributor.There were small plaques on the dashes that said "Body By Studebaker" made of brass(1"x 1 3/4 that I removed.We put it all in a box & he said $50. for what we had.We paid & said we would be back again.He was agreeable our 3rd visit we removed a wooden steering wheel.That a fellow in England wanted for a pattern as his was full of woodworm & a body tag from the Rockne that I gave to StudeBob for his collection .+ a alternator that turned out 2-B scrap due to water damage.The owner had to leave for a BBQ & we also left B-4 he returned as we had things to do but would catch up to him.I pride myself on being honest as does my friend.I have been diagnosed with a life threatening disease ( I am not asking for sympathy)But due to my schedule of treatment I have been pretty busy.The owner of the cars phoned last eve & started in on a tirade about them being his cars the pieces we removed were not for my car & wanted ALL the parts back,he wanted the Rockne 4dr.sedan body tag for his Rockne roadster etc.etc he was acting like someone I had never met even though I have known him for 30yrs.(casually).I sold some parts on Ebay for $30.00 & gave away some after we had finished using them as pattern's was trying to help out fellow Studebaker enthusiast & didn't make any profit but I didn't expect to.Thirty years ago I would have gone out there & we would have settled this toe to toe but I have mellowed & don't want to make enemies.I will return what I still have but still am mystified by his behavior

Could it be that somebody told him that he had given stuff away that might (might is a key word) have been worth a lot more than he sold it for, thus leading him to want it all back so he could sell it to somebody else for more money? Just a guess.
    Joe Roberts
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Could it be that somebody told him that he had given stuff away that might (might is a key word) have been worth a lot more than he sold it for, thus leading him to want it all back so he could sell it to somebody else for more money? Just a guess.
      Joe Roberts
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Why would you give the jerk any more of your precious time????

Comment

Why would you give the jerk any more of your precious time????

Comment

IMHO, I would go see him face to face and tell him exactly what you told us here. You are not obligated to return anything as you paid for and he had agreed previously for the parts sale.
            If your wanting to return the parts that you currently have I would still explain to him how he is being unreasonable.
            Good luck.............. oh and by the way the majority of folks in this hobby, escpecially those associated with studes are completely opposite of the one you've spoke of.
            Russ
            quote:Originally posted by kmul221

About 1yr. ago I started helping a friend restore a 25 Standard 6.I knew of 2 29's A Commander & Dictator & a body shell only for a Rockne that had been sitting in the open for 40 + yrs.We went 2-c the owner & he relented fron past about selling the parts as he said"I may as well the cars are sinking into the ground " As all was rusty we & no tools we took nothing off that day.We returned in a few weeks & managed to remove some parts that could serve as patterns for replacement parts EG, spark-control rods & acclel.rods,We removed the starter & generator only to fine the water had got in & destroyed the Gen. & distributor.There were small plaques on the dashes that said "Body By Studebaker" made of brass(1"x 1 3/4 that I removed.We put it all in a box & he said $50. for what we had.We paid & said we would be back again.He was agreeable our 3rd visit we removed a wooden steering wheel.That a fellow in England wanted for a pattern as his was full of woodworm & a body tag from the Rockne that I gave to StudeBob for his collection .+ a alternator that turned out 2-B scrap due to water damage.The owner had to leave for a BBQ & we also left B-4 he returned as we had things to do but would catch up to him.I pride myself on being honest as does my friend.I have been diagnosed with a life threatening disease ( I am not asking for sympathy)But due to my schedule of treatment I have been pretty busy.The owner of the cars phoned last eve & started in on a tirade about them being his cars the pieces we removed were not for my car & wanted ALL the parts back,he wanted the Rockne 4dr.sedan body tag for his Rockne roadster etc.etc he was acting like someone I had never met even though I have known him for 30yrs.(casually).I sold some parts on Ebay for $30.00 & gave away some after we had finished using them as pattern's was trying to help out fellow Studebaker enthusiast & didn't make any profit but I didn't expect to.Thirty years ago I would have gone out there & we would have settled this toe to toe but I have mellowed & don't want to make enemies.I will return what I still have but still am mystified by his behavior
            Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
            57 SH (project)
            60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
            53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
            57 SH (project)

Comment

IMHO, I would go see him face to face and tell him exactly what you told us here. You are not obligated to return anything as you paid for and he had agreed previously for the parts sale.
              If your wanting to return the parts that you currently have I would still explain to him how he is being unreasonable.
              Good luck.............. oh and by the way the majority of folks in this hobby, escpecially those associated with studes are completely opposite of the one you've spoke of.
              Russ
              quote:Originally posted by kmul221

Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
              57 SH (project)

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)

Comment

If I go to the junkyard and buy parts off a car, they have no right to tell me what I can do with them after I purchase them. The transfer of ownership and valid payment ends ALL claims of the former owner to the disposition of the property. I'd tell this guy to go pound sand if I were you.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

If I go to the junkyard and buy parts off a car, they have no right to tell me what I can do with them after I purchase them. The transfer of ownership and valid payment ends ALL claims of the former owner to the disposition of the property. I'd tell this guy to go pound sand if I were you.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X