1959 Hawk paint ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint: 1959 Hawk paint ?

Ive stripped the car down to start a frame off, thought somewhere in the tear down i would find the old paint. the problem is for some reason this body has sings of almost every color offered but RED on the 1959 silver hawks???
    Now ive had a friend that repainted his cars a few times randomly each year, i wonder if this was his grandfathers car lol. My best guess is Studebaker did this, possibly for rust proofing?
    Last edited by Rocket442; 06-20-2012, 01:13 PM. Reason: spellinggg
    USASTUDE

I doubt the paint code is on the bottom of the glove box after all these years so the only other way is to obtain the production broadcast from the museum.

The only time Studebaker painted more than one color on a car was when it called for a 2 tone.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

I thought the dealers in 1959 added the second tone on orders?
      Does anyone know how many 259 1959 silver hawks were sold, nothing ive read seems to be consistent?
      It also appears to be a floor shift model as the steering column has no punch out for the shifter?
      USASTUDE

Comment

Kieth, you really should go ahead and get the production order. Most of your question will be answered.
        See you later today--
        64 Champ long bed V8
        55/53 Studebaker President S/R
        53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
          I thought the dealers in 1959 added the second tone on orders?
          Does anyone know how many 259 1959 silver hawks were sold, nothing ive read seems to be consistent?
          It also appears to be a floor shift model as the steering column has no punch out for the shifter?
          I am sorry, but I am not at home where I have those numbers and it is not one that I remember. If no one else comes up with the answer, I could probably give it to you tomorrow.

Much information, such as original color, can be gleaned from the production order from the SNM.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
            Kieth, you really should go ahead and get the production order. Most of your question will be answered.
            See you later today--
            WOW! when i got the 259 home my jaw dropped for a few hours. I new it was heavy (like you said) as its high in nickel but had no clue, what a surprise. Thanks so much for all.
            USASTUDE

Comment

Hello

On Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Studebaker_Silver_Hawk
              sigpic

Comment

There were 5371 1959 Silver Hawks with 259s and 2417 with 170s for a total of 7788.

Floor shift was not available in 1959 (except for things like Taxi models).

What year/body style is your Oldsmobile (442)?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Rocket442 View Post
                  I thought the dealers in 1959 added the second tone on orders?/Cut/
                  Very, very few 1959's would have been Dealer Painted two-tone after the sale at the buyers request and most likely cost.

I have never seen a '59 modified that way.
                  You may be in for a few surprises with this Car, as we already know it has a '61 to '64 steering column or just the "Bell" for the shifter changed and a aftermarket floor shifter, fenders, doors, trunk, hood replaced with used parts all different colors? I wonder what else has been modified?

Maybe dished 289 Pistons and 289 Crankshaft, converting the stock 259 to a 289?

OR, Could this be a 1961, miss-registered as a '59?

In the end, if it ends up looking and running good, nothing else really matters, good luck with your restoration.
                  Last edited by StudeRich; 06-22-2012, 02:26 PM.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks for your knowledge.
                    Im new to the studies and was just trying to figure out if this car was rare, oh well its still a cool car.
                    It could be a Good epoxy job on the column shift hole.
                    Was but gone a 1970 olds rallye 350. just faster to say 442.

USASTUDE

Comment

Working...
                    X