PDA

View Full Version : Stude motorcycle?

crazylark
06-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Has anyone ever heard of a stude motorcycle. Yeah a motorcycle!I don't really have alot of info so if anyone has some information please respond.:confused:

DEEPNHOCK
06-19-2012, 06:21 PM
There's a guy in Texas that took the Stude name and said he was going to resurrect the car line.
Only thing he has done for real is to make some replacement Studebaker parts for motorcycles.
That's about as close as I know of any Stude motorcycle...

kurtruk
06-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Josh,
My post is known as "highjacking a thread." (Sorry)

Whatever happened to the guy that was building the Tri-baker? '37 Stude front with a motorcycle (?) engine in the rear?

studefan
06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
I saw copies of drawings of a Studebaker motorcycle somewhere. Not sure if they built it but they designed one in maybe the 1920s or 1930s.

Deaf Mute
06-19-2012, 07:00 PM
They put Cevys into MCs all the time... Come on, someone... drop in a Stude V8.
If I win the lottery, I will have one built. Can you see it now at a International Meet... a hand built motorcycle in the "Stude Powered" Class.

crazylark
06-19-2012, 07:03 PM
My grandad just found an old turning wheels from 1993 with alot about the motorcycle(An article by colin fort).In 1941 studebaker built one prototype but was sadly destroyed do to the war and america's struggle/Engine ariel square 4 installed in a new frame with bmw trans,forks,etc.Had a drive shaft instead of a chain.studebaker made the frame the tank and the rear suspension the rest was ariel and bmw.so thats about it or all i could find but i would love to see blueprints wich collin fort is supposed to have.

52hawk
06-19-2012, 07:14 PM
What I read was that a test driver got killed riding the bike at the proving grounds,and Studebaker destroyed the bike and gave up on the idea.

rockinhawk
06-19-2012, 08:00 PM
What I read was that a test driver got killed riding the bike at the proving grounds,and Studebaker destroyed the bike and gave up on the idea.
According to the TW article, Studebaker bought 3 M/Cs for testing purposes. One of these was later sold to an employee who was killed a week later.

I remember an urban legand that 2 prototypes were built and the son of one of top execs took one out without permission, wrecked it and was killed so the program was stopped.

I thought there was a follow up story in a later TW but I couldn't find it.
If I was a younger man with unlimited funds I would try to build one from the blueprints Mr. Fort has. Unfortunately neither of the above applys to me.

I think this would be a good project for Jeff Rice and Pat Skelly to undertake.

DEEPNHOCK
06-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Oh, I don't think so... My record for motorcycles is less than stellar....:oops:

<snip>
I think this would be a good project for Jeff Rice and Pat Skelly to undertake.

crazylark
06-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info but does anyone know where the blueprints are.

crazylark
06-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I wonder how much one would have cost back in the 40's.

Chris_Dresbach
06-19-2012, 10:44 PM
My grandad just found an old turning wheels from 1993 with alot about the motorcycle(An article by colin fort).In 1941 studebaker built one prototype but was sadly destroyed do to the war and america's struggle/Engine ariel square 4 installed in a new frame with bmw trans,forks,etc.Had a drive shaft instead of a chain.studebaker made the frame the tank and the rear suspension the rest was ariel and bmw.so thats about it or all i could find but i would love to see blueprints wich collin fort is supposed to have.

Which volume from 1993? (I'd like to read it) Thanks

hausdok
06-19-2012, 11:44 PM
Hi,

Your description sounds exactly like the specs the Army asked for when they had the XA built by Harley Davidson and Indian during WWII. It wouldn't have had "BMW" parts because BMW was a German manufacturer but they were directly copied.

From memory: The Army already had the WLA but after we got into the war in Europe as Russia's ally the Army got their hands on a couple of Russian-built M72's - the flathead opposed twins. BMW had sold Russia the production rights and all manufacturing equipment in 1938 to produce the R71. When WWII broke out the deal went south but Russia began producing the Russian variant in large numbers and called them the M72 and the US Army got ahold of a couple. The military liked the ruggedness of the German design, the shaft drive and the fact that they ran so cool compared to the HLA; so they asked HD and Indian to produce prototypes. I wouldn't be surprised if they asked Studebaker too, since Studebaker was a prime defense contractor even before the war. The bikes were almost direct copies of the German R71. Harley won the competition and then produced a thousand XA's which are prized today for their rareness. Then the XA program was shut down because by then the Army had the Jeep. Since they'd already produced large numbers of the HLA in the US and in Canada, and HLA's were also being produced in South Africa and in Russia for the war effort, the army no longer felt the need for the XA.

Near the end of WWII, the Russian's overran Bavarian Motor Werk, packed up the BMW bike factory and took everything back to Russia, including everything needed to produce the R75 - the updated OHV version of the R71. They mothballed the M72 plant and began to produce the M73(R75) in Russia in the Urals (Ural/IMZ) and in Chechoslavakia and Poland under the Dnepr name. Somewhere around 1960 to 1962 the Russians sold the Communist Chinese defense ministry the mothballed M72 (R71) plant and the Chinese began producing their own direct copy in large numbers. Around 1995-1996 when changes in China made it legal for the Chinese military to sell surplus to non-military, Chinese citizens began purchasing the CZ750 motorcycles from the military and customizing them. A few years after that, Americans and Europeans in China saw them and began purchasing older models (which can be exported), shipping them back to the US and Europe and customizing them. Today there have been more than 4 million of those bikes produced by the Chinese since 1962 and many Chines manufacturers are producing their own copies in large numbers to take advantage of the appetite for CJ's. There are CJ750 Rider Clubs all over the world.

If any of you ever go to China on a tourist trip, you might consider going on a CJ Safari around the Chinese countryside - basically a camping road trip on a sidecar motorcycle. Low and slow and lots of stops to fix things and look around at the countryside. I've never been but I've wanted an old R71 for years and have studied the heck out of the CJ variants for years and have learned a lot about the CJ culture in China.

These are real motorcycles that harken back to the early days of motorcyles - not crotch rockets or cushioned and plush tourers. They are 23 horsepower bikes. They are heavily sprung and not very comfortable. They're designed to carry a sidecar and don't ride well without a sidecar. They are underpowered leakers and if you're lucky with two on board you can get up to 60 mph downhill with a tailwind. They look exactly like their 1938 ancestor and you can even purchase them custom built in German military livery complete with exact copies of the German ammo boxes, machine gun mount, double spares for the sidecar, fenders, blacked out lights - even a fake German machine gun and with perfect copies of the military data plates used by the German military in all the right places.

crazylark
06-20-2012, 05:36 AM
Umm i think it was july of 93.

crazylark
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Which volume from 1993? (I'd like to read it) Thanks

Umm i think it was july of 93 PRETTY INTERESTING STORY.

rockinhawk
06-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Not a Studebaker by any stretch of the imagination but it does have a connection.
In some recent swappin' an' tradin' I became the owner of a 1978 AMF MO-PED. powered by, guess who?
McCollough! So that gives it a Studebaker connection,doesn't it?

Any how, Josh got that thing cranked and running to day. He was buzzing around all over the place. Then I got on it. I think I overloaded it. Maybe it will be OK after it rests awhile. And I won't get back on it It is a cute little bike and just right for Josh. I'll stick to my Vulcan.

crazylark
10-11-2013, 07:57 PM
I'm 13 and got 11,500 views on my thread. Take that world!!!!!:lol: