Martin, Michigan, FAST/Factory Stock Drags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin, Michigan, FAST/Factory Stock Drags

Here's a quick rundown on the FAST/Factory Stock Drags at Martin, Michigan this past week end.

First, the weather on Friday was pretty good. Air not bad but the temperature got to about 88 or so.

On Saturday, the longer the day went the hotter and worse the air got. The temperature got up to 96! There was a tail wind off and on. First it would be about a 15 mph tail wind then drop off to no wind at all.

Chuck and John Kern ran their white R 2 Powershift Avanti and qualified at 14.0 @ 100 mph. They drew Chevy II four speed and lost the first two rounds. The Chevy guy found out if he shifted above the normal 5500 he would go faster; therefore, he turned in the high 13's instead of what he qualified at but did not go three tenths quicker that would have disqualified him. Chuck slowed to 14.2 mainly due to the weather.

I broke the rear end in the Tomato a week ago and put in a 4.27 for the Martin race (not just ring and pinion but entirely different rear I had).

Turns out it would not launch without a horrible skipping or chatter, so violent I had to baby it coming out resulting in terrible sixty foot times. The best sixty foot was 2.35 all the way up to 2.61. The locker seems to be locking and unlocking during the launch.

We qualified with a 13.54 and drew a Plymouth 340 Duster four speed. We did manage to win the first round with a 2.47 sixty foot and 13.71 et. He turned a 13.69 but fortunately we had a better light to barely win.

The second run was the 2.61 sixty and again had a better reaction but not enough this time. Almost caught him at the finish line but lost by .012 of a second.

Third run again got the better reaction and knew when it left (2.35 sixty) that we had it won if I didn't mess up. Got to the et building and the fellow handed me the yellow ticket (loser usually get the yellow copy and the winner the white one). I asked if I shouldn't get the white one and he said, "You red lighted". I couldn't believe it as it is a pro tree and almost impossible the red light if you wait until you see the three yellows come on. So I messed up!

After getting back to the pits, John told me just before the yellow lights came on, the top staging bulb went out so the car must have rolled forward giving less inches to turn on the green light.

So the only two Studes that showed up didn't win their shoot outs but still a lot of fun. One of the highlights was the Friday night test and tune at the strip. We left about 5:00 before the locals came in to race and left the Avanti, Tomato, and the '61 truck hauler at the track.

When we came back Saturday morning, some of the people that stayed for the test and tune told us there was a mob of the locals looking over the three Studes all evening and generated a lot of discussions. So we were able to help the Stude cause a little plus a lot of people coming up during the two days to ask questions and discuss the cars.

Now, this rear end is coming out of the Tomato and I'm going to put in another one and add the flanged axles but I need some brake parts to make the change. I have the backing plates, shoes, and wheel cylinders but need all the hardware to install the shoes and drums. Prefer smooth drums as they are lighter.

I don't want to put the rear I broke back in as it is an R 3 and belongs to Nelson Bove and I would like to return it to him after I get it repaired. It needs the two bevel gears and four pinion (spider) gears for the twin traction set up. In the parts book it shows the bevel gears as illustration #1004-35 and the pinion as 1004-37 and only come in a kit # 1546166. I'm not positive but think the 23 and 27 rears may work also. Doesn't sound right but according to parts book . . . I'll be calling NDT, Richmond, Randy's, etc. to see if I can locate the gears for the R 3 but with 19 splines, I'm guessing they may be hard to come by.

If anyone has the parts for my brakes and/or the R 3 gears and interested in selling them, please let me know.

Thanks.

Ted

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
    Prefer smooth drums as they are lighter.

Ted
    Spoken like a true racer. When my dad and Uncle bought a '51 Starlight in 1966/67 to drag race - one of the things my Uncle did was crawl under the car with a oil pan of gasoline and a scraper to get all the undercoating off the car. When asked about that years later he stated, "there must have been 15 pounds of the stuff so it was worth it..."

Thanks Mr. Harbit for all you do for those of us in the Studebaker world.

Comment

Ted, I have a couple of spare 44's you can scavenge. One has the finned drums, the other is smooth. Even have a flanged axle setup, but it is 8" narrower than my Hawk. You're welcome to whatever I can get for you. I have surgery Thursday, but I could get some stuff off tomorrow and Wednesday. I can drag the whole thing to South Bend for the International, but you probably want to be running before that.
      Jim
      Often in error, never in doubt
      http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Jim. I do want to get this back together relatively soon so I'll work on it for awhile and if no luck, I'll get back with you. Thanks a bunch for the offer but you need to not overdue it and take care of yourself. It's too easy to think you are up to doing things you should not. I was amazed that you not only were at South Bend but was as active as you were. Get fully healed before going full bore at working.

Ted

Comment

Now you sound like my wife, lol.

I also have a set from when I converted the Avanti to disc brakes, complete, but they are the finned drums. Maybe you can get a pair of smooth drums and use my other parts.
          Last edited by jlmccuan; 06-19-2012, 10:04 AM.
          Jim
          Often in error, never in doubt
          http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cool beans, Ted; 'looks like Studes got good exposure despite not winning the shootouts.

Why is it always so hot in Martin? Geeze! BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              Cool beans, Ted; 'looks like Studes got good exposure despite not winning the shootouts.

Why is it always so hot in Martin? Geeze! BP
              Not always so hot at US131, Bob! If you recall, the inaugural FAST event in 2003 at US 131 over the Memorial Day weekend. We woke up to 38* temps on race day!!!! I think that is why they moved the event to June!

Sorry I wasn't there, but the old Dodge seems to become jinxed when running at US 131 for a FAST event. When I race there during the regular bracket events=no problems. During a FAST event=leave parts scattered and/or leaking down the track.
              Frank Remlinger
              Detroit, Michigan
              SDC# A004602R

Comment

Originally posted by fastfritz View Post
                Not always so hot at US131, Bob! If you recall, the inaugural FAST event in 2003 at US 131 over the Memorial Day weekend. We woke up to 38* temps on race day!!!! I think that is why they moved the event to June!
                Well, that answers the question: They moved it to June! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                X