Looking for a 50 steering wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a 50 steering wheel

Hi there, I am looking for a two spoke steering wheel for my '50 Starlight. I have the one that came off the car, plastic broken up badly, and one I purchased that I think is a truck steering wheel. It is black, the spokes start out narrow at the wheel and get wide at the center. Other than Strock Brothers, anyone have any leads or suggestions ?
    Thanxxx

Hello Hex,

You might say whether your car is a deluxe model or a lower model. The steering wheels are different. They are also different from a Champion to a commander, but from your post, I suspect that your car is a Champion.

On a Champion, the deluxe (and yes, I know that "deluxe" is not the correct Studebaker term) steering wheel has a chrome bezel and a horn ring, and the bezel has a plastic center with the 50 coat of arms emblem. The lower models have a round metal horn button in the middle, and no horn ring. The spokes are shaped differently on each style of wheel.

So... Champion or Commander?

deluxe or lower model?

The more information you give, the better folks can assist.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

I might add that it's HIGHLY unlikely you're gonna find a "nice" wheel of any style. No one has repro'd them and likely never will. And NOS examples disappeared decades ago. I"ve got one or two layin' around here, but they're really only good as cores for the Shrocks to work with.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There's a tag on the firewall, in the engine compartment, on the passenger (right) side of the car. It should say something like "9G-C5" or "9G-C3". That will tell us if it is a Champion deluxe or a lower model. If it says 17A, then we know the car is a Commander.

In places where the sun is not so severe, the painted wheels hold up better than the caramel colored plastic ones do, so it's still possible to find a decent one - once we know what to look for.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Sorry, It's a Champion...

Comment

Do you mind reading the tag on the firewall? Is your champion a regal, or a lesser trimmed model? The steering wheels are different as previously explained.

Comment

The tag reads as follows:
              9GC5 over 18988

Comment

C5 is a Regal Deluxe trimmed car. According to the parts book, you should have a chromed horn ring - semi-circular. with the crest emblem in the center. Lesser trimmed cars had just the simple "button" with an S on a pentagon in the very middle of it. So, do you have a horn ring - or just a button? After 62 years, it could've gotten changed along the way.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

hexcarnut1, that two spoke wheel you purchased sounds like it could fit my truck. Email me at threers@frontiernet.net so I can get the particulars on it, if you want to sell it.
                  Rick
                  Kingman, AZ

Comment

Schrock brothers is probably your best bet. I only know of one NOS wheel available and it's probably more expensive then a reman. from Schrocks.

Originally posted by hexcarnut1 View Post
                    Hi there, I am looking for a two spoke steering wheel for my '50 Starlight. I have the one that came off the car, plastic broken up badly, and one I purchased that I think is a truck steering wheel. It is black, the spokes start out narrow at the wheel and get wide at the center. Other than Strock Brothers, anyone have any leads or suggestions ?
                    Thanxxx
                    Bo

Comment

Just for fun, where is this 'NOS' steering wheel located ? email me at 'hexcarnut1@yahoo.com.' Thanxxx

Comment

If Bo is right about an NOS wheel, consider this..... An NOS wheel is gonna be 60 years old - that's a LONG time for plastic (early technology plastics) to wait around for service. If Bo's right about the Shrock's being the more reasonable route, you'd have a WAY more durable wheel that, frankly, would be better looking than that vintage unused piece. I've got a truck wheel the Shrocks did for me and it's gorgeous. Of course, your choice.

Comment

Shrock brothers do nice work:

Comment

I was thinking of you (hexcarnut1) when I responded to this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ion-suspension Don't know if this is the one you need, but looks like Perry beat you to it.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                            X