PDA

View Full Version : One of the best looking modern 4 door cars ever built.

289stude
06-16-2012, 08:40 AM
Man I really like this car! Never gave the 4 door cars much credit but damn!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251085331090+&lgeo=1&viewitem=&vectorid=229466#ht_500wt_1021

Chris Pile
06-16-2012, 09:39 AM
No.
4 door Avantis look too long, the roof looks squashed, and the plastic bumpers look like crap.
I hate 'em.

Roscomacaw
06-16-2012, 09:44 AM
I'd drive it with my head held high!

1962larksedan
06-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Nice looking car but it's based on a ca. 1989/90 Chevy Caprice, which may not be a bad thing since they're pretty stout with the V8 Chevy TBI motors. :)

JGK 940
06-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Taste is decidedly individual. I never see one of these without looking around for Gumby and Pokey, so they always make me smile, and the color of this one seems particularly appropriate. Do I want to own one? No. But thank you anyway.

JBOYLE
06-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Not a bad looking car.
My only suggestion is some stainless window trim to make the pillars look thinner. Without it, the windshield and side windows look too much like an armored car. They also make it look too unfinished (dare I say, "kit car-ish"?) in a way.

If I ever buy one, I'll have Matt or a local shop fashion a set and see if I'm right. :)

Andy R.
06-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I just like that around these parts, a 22 year-old car gets called "modern." :)

Nox
06-16-2012, 03:20 PM
It's one of those cars I'd like to own for a short while just to shape them up a bit.
Usually a big bit...
Like the rear of a Citroen SM, what were they thinking about? Or were they out of thoughts when they finally reached that part...?
4-door Avantis loox like a SAAB 900's in a way

kurtruk
06-16-2012, 03:54 PM
It is what it is.

I think they did a nice job on them.

Gunslinger
06-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Don't get me wrong...I love Avantis. But the 4-door is an acquired taste that I haven't been able to acquire yet. They're supposedly very nice cars but I've yet to warm up to them.

Jessie J.
06-16-2012, 04:58 PM
..and here I was, all set to see a beautiful '64 Cruiser.

PlainBrownR2
06-16-2012, 08:27 PM
One of those showed up at the Avanti meet in Lisle, IL. It was silver with 4 doors, and I thought they stood out from the regular Avanti's. It's one of those things where I've read about them, but never really seen them until it showed up at the meet. The car also had low miles on it, and it had a TV in the rear. From what was told to me, that was Avanti Motor Corporations Limousine option, so it was "stretched" and had a number of amenities installed in it, including automobile television sets.

raoul5788
06-16-2012, 08:35 PM

I was thinking a '63 Cruiser!

studegary
06-16-2012, 08:39 PM
One of those showed up at the Avanti meet in Lisle, IL. It was silver with 4 doors, and I thought they stood out from the regular Avanti's. It's one of those things where I've read about them, but never really seen them until it showed up at the meet. The car also had low miles on it, and it had a TV in the rear. From what was told to me, that was Avanti Motor Corporations Limousine option, so it was "stretched" and had a number of amenities installed in it, including automobile television sets.

There were at least two prototype Avanti limousines that were never finished/sold. The TV doesn't make it a limousine. Most of the 1990 four doors had a TV in the rear.

jimmijim8
06-16-2012, 08:41 PM
at the moment, I am high bidder. cheers jimmijim

studegary
06-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Cathy and I, mostly Cathy, like these four door Avantis. We were within hours of buying a new one. I have considered and bid on some used ones, but have yet to own one. At this point, we would rather get a 2001-2007 Avanti.
It is my understanding that with these 1990s, the higher VIN number that you can get, the better the car (all other factors the same).

PlainBrownR2
06-16-2012, 09:44 PM
There were at least two prototype Avanti limousines that were never finished/sold. The TV doesn't make it a limousine. Most of the 1990 four doors had a TV in the rear.

Read again, I never said the TV made it limousine, I said the four doors and that it was stretched made it a limousine, and he said his was a limousine. If I went by that logic, most every tuner car I've come across would be considered a limousine.

kurtruk
06-17-2012, 12:33 AM
And I think none of the original TVs work any longer since analog broadcasts have stopped. Gotta use a converter (where would you put it?) or replace the unit.

cultural infidel
06-17-2012, 12:51 AM
I had never seen one of those before

clonelark
06-17-2012, 12:57 AM
A 1990 car for 20Gs, you'd have to really love it. Nice as it is, the price doesn't add up.

PlainBrownR2
06-17-2012, 01:13 AM
And I think none of the original TVs work any longer since analog broadcasts have stopped. Gotta use a converter (where would you put it?) or replace the unit.

Easy, use something like an RCA box, and wire the TV's Coax out on the back of the TV to the TV Out on the converter, and run the Antenna to the Antenna In on the box. You can run a small inverter for the converter box, or find a converter box that runs 12 volts. You're third option is to replace the TV with a TV that has a built in converter.

8E45E
06-17-2012, 01:16 AM
While the interiors that used real wood and leather are good quality-wise, aside from the obvious GM-sourced switchgear which screams 'cheap', the exteriors could have been better designed. As others have stated, the A and B pillars are way too heavy, and those proprietary door handles don't do it any favors. As for the original TV not being compatable, that's not the fault of the car; its changing technology; which makes us wonder how much longer AM radio will still be around which the majority of our Studebakers had.

Craig

skyway
06-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Ever sat in one? They are NOT for tall drivers.

JBOYLE
06-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Easy, use something like an RCA box, and wire the TV's Coax out on the back of the TV to the TV Out on the converter, and run the Antenna to the Antenna In on the box. You can run a small inverter for the converter box, or find a converter box that runs 12 volts. You're third option is to replace the TV with a TV that has a built in converter.

I'd probably take it to somewhere and have a new flat screen fitted. In this town, that might mean a RV dealer, I bet they have experience in putting new TVs in older vehicles.
To take up the room of the old set and to keep it fairly stock looking, you might need to build a box in back of the flat screen, then cover it with leather. Might be a nice cubbyhole or a place to mount a DVD player.

06-17-2012, 09:42 AM
The "value" proposition is mute on these cars. Question is, do you want to be one of 87 in the world to own one. Certainly, they aren't on every streetcorner. And, you'd likely be the only one at any event unless it's a National or International Studebaker or Avanti meet.

Given the entry price, I'd rather have a Hawk for the money they will rightly bring. Although, the more modern running gear is attractive in these cars.

These cars never became wildly popular or ever got much press. Unless you're a Stude Nut, you'd never know that Studebaker had the Avanti prototype with two doors on one side, and one on the other which I always took as the inspiration for it. It represents the period where Avanti moved away from South Bend. When Avanti was supposed to go "Big Time". It really was the beginning of the end of Avanti as we knew it back then.

If the Avanti is an acquired taste, you have to be and "Avantiholic" to appreciate it. And, there will always be more than 87 of those types alive the rest of our lives.

64V19816
06-17-2012, 09:43 AM
I'm really surprised no one has suggested retrofitting an R2 ;-)

Gunslinger
06-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I don't know what engineering issues might be involved in retrofitting an R2 into a Caprice chassis, regardless of the Avanti body. And you still have to deal with emissions regs depending on location. Still...with enough money and talent anything might happen.

2R5
06-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I was positive I was going to see a late 30s or early 40s Pres ...not one of those @$#& 4dr Avantis....sorry just my opion of them.

JimC
06-17-2012, 04:17 PM
I used to think that the Avanti was the most terrible looking car conceivable. Obviously, that was back when I was young and dumb. Today I'd love to own one. These four-doors do perplex me though. It's like a sports car, with a family car design and a luxury car interior. It's almost as if there were three different engineers with three different ideas on what the car should be. Despite all that, this is a pretty cool car, if nothing else, for the uniqueness. I'd enjoy a chance to drive it or briefly own it.

jnewkirk77
06-17-2012, 05:19 PM

Winegard (a good antenna manufacturer) actually sold a converter box for a while that could be purchased with a 12-volt adapter. It was small enough that it could probably fit with the TV in the console without much modification, although I'd have to take a good look at a 4-door. Pretty darn nice box, too.

studegary
06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Read again, I never said the TV made it limousine, I said the four doors and that it was stretched made it a limousine, and he said his was a limousine. If I went by that logic, most every tuner car I've come across would be considered a limousine.

Do you mean that the Avanti that you were referring to was stretched beyond the normal four door 1990 Avanti and had a divider window? If not, I still would not call it a limousine. I know that what is now considered to be a limousine has loosened up considerably from the traditional definition, but I will stick with a more traditional definition, except for the open chauffeur compartment.

PlainBrownR2
06-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Do you mean that the Avanti that you were referring to was stretched beyond the normal four door 1990 Avanti and had a divider window? If not, I still would not call it a limousine. I know that what is now considered to be a limousine has loosened up considerably from the traditional definition, but I will stick with a more traditional definition, except for the open chauffeur compartment.

Yep, take it or leave it, minus the divider window. I do have to remember that next time I get a ride to the airport and ask for an airport 4 door sedan. Nah...... that just sounds sickeningly hilarious.

They don't throw you into police cars, they put you in police limos. You don't hail a taxicab, that's a taxi limo you're getting into. You don't get treated in an amublance, that's an emergency limo. Okay now I'll stop, lol.....

lynn fletcher
08-30-2012, 08:55 AM
We now own this car. Drove it from Ocean Springs to South Bend and onto Western Canada, Minor isseues but did run 75 Mph at 27/28 Mpg.3,00 plus miles. Passing through Sturgis was the only slow part of the trip.
Can't say enough nice about the man I bought it from. Good solid Studebaker people !

ddub
08-30-2012, 10:44 AM
No.
4 door Avantis look too long, the roof looks squashed, and the plastic bumpers look like crap.
I hate 'em.
Just for clarity the above is an opinion as opposed to a fact.

Chris Pile
08-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Just for clarity the above is an opinion as opposed to a fact.

But it is absolutely correct!

JBOYLE
08-30-2012, 11:36 AM
We now own this car.

Congratulations, I hope you enjoy it, glad to see it found a good home.

DEEPNHOCK
08-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Good thing you got it out of Mississippi.... They don't float very well...

We now own this car. Drove it from Ocean Springs to South Bend and onto Western Canada, Minor isseues but did run 75 Mph at 27/28 Mpg.3,00 plus miles. Passing through Sturgis was the only slow part of the trip.
Can't say enough nice about the man I bought it from. Good solid Studebaker people !

kurtruk
08-30-2012, 07:12 PM

If you ever bring it to California, me and Roscomacaw are two that said they liked it. (In case you're giving rides.:!:)

Kurt
08-30-2012, 07:26 PM

Me too.........

sbca96
08-31-2012, 08:27 PM

I was expecting a 1994-1996 Impala SS or a 2008-2009 Pontiac G8.

Tom

okc63avanti
08-31-2012, 09:25 PM
Not modern but .... my vote is the 1951 Studebaker Champion 4-door ..... its stunning !!!

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq16/okc63avanti/51%20Champion%204%20door/N0011888.jpg

1962larksedan
08-31-2012, 09:55 PM
I was expecting a 1994-1996 Impala SS or a 2008-2009 Pontiac G8.

Tom

Funny because the 1994-96 Impala SS is very, very closely related to that 4 door Avanti, mechanically speaking.

gordr
09-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Sorry, never saw the point of a a four-door Avanti. And there are only probably hundreds of better-looking four-door cars out there. The Avanti looks great as a coupe, which is what it was designed to be. Stretched out into a four-door, it looks unfortunate.

And TV? TV sucks bad enough at home. Why would you want to pollute your car with it?

Skybolt
09-01-2012, 01:23 PM
If only it came in a two door, I would like that.