conversion to power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• conversion to power steering

hello fellow SDC members. I am from South Africa. I have a 1961 Studebaker Hawk. Note this is a right hand drive vehicle. The steering is tight and the steering column shaft with the steering whell has a play. i belive a bush needs to be replaced. Any ways i like to convert to power steering. spares in south africa are limited and we have to make do with what we have. Recently a friend put in a ford fairmont steering rack in his GT hawk and he is now unhappy as he says the geometry is not correct. another person put in a jaguar steering rack.

can i get some advice on this matter. as well as whether i can source a bolt on sysytem from America - keep in mind this is a right hand drive and any bolt on sysytem will ned some modification.
    Also does the current steering box need to be changed?

Please advise

Krish

Krish, get in contact with Ian Mckellar in Australia, he puts together p/s steer kits to suit RHC. His email is irmack@bigpond.com You don't have to change the steering box and you can install Avanti quick steer arms which reduces the locks to lock.
    Rgs Brian
    Brian Greenall
    Melbourne, OZ
    sigpic

Comment

thanks brian for the lead
      krish

Comment

Yay! Another 1961 Hawk owner! We are a rare breed, with your right hand drive being much rarer than my left hand drive Hawk. Welcome to the forums!
        sigpic
        1961 Flamingo Studebaker Hawk

Comment

Chris, I put the system in my 58 president, got it from Myers Studebaker around the Ohio area. It's a power assist system and I bet it will fit your car. It works great! It was a little hard putting in, but I took my time and got it done, 3 days. You keep the old steering box and change a few parts underneath, add a pump, a twin pulley, and a piston with hoses.
          Jim Rostron

Comment

Myers Studebaker
            130 Main Street Duncan Falls, OH 43734
            (740) 674-4897

Their systems are completely rebuilt and they can tell you if it will fit your car. I paid $1,600.00 for the complete system. Looks new and works like new.
            Last edited by mnmfive; 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM. Reason: more info
            Jim Rostron

Comment

Originally posted by mnmfive View Post
              Myers Studebaker
              130 Main Street Duncan Falls, OH 43734
              (740) 674-4897

Their systems are completely rebuilt and they can tell you if it will fit your car. I paid $1,600.00 for the complete system. Looks new and works like new.
              What you are missing here is Krish's car is RHC and the reach rod that has the power steering control valve screwed to it that runs from the steering box to the bellcrank has a bend in it which goes in the oppisite direction to a LHD car, so a US application will not fit up directly.
              Brian Greenall
              Melbourne, OZ
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X