Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonneville Hawk #5 R2 Engine Found !!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonneville Hawk #5 R2 Engine Found !!!!!!

I am so excited as I have located and purchased the original engine that was in the 1964 Hawk Bonneville #5 car from the factory (serial number 1005). It is an R2 supercharged engine number JTS 1714.

The first five cars of the 1964 Studebaker model year were sent to Andy Granatelli (Mr. 500) to race at the Bonneville Salt Flats. Three of the five had 1963 JTS R2 engines and were serial numbers 1001, 1002, and 1005. Serial 1006 started the new 1964 engine numbering scheme. So, JTS 1714 was THE last 63 JTS engine to appear in a Studebaker and came in Bonneville #5.

I heard that the #5 car was fitted with an R3 at some point by Granatelli and sold to a gentlemen who continued to race the car into the mid 1960s.

I can't believe this historical engine still exists. I just had it shipped from Los Angeles, CA (near where Granatelli's shop was located) where it has resided all these years.

Thanks a ton to Howard Brown for assisting with the shipping logistics. He went way out of his way for me. Also, thanks to Bob Palma who verified engine numbers and production dates. If anyone can share any additional history on the engine or the whereabouts of the #5 car, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by studefan; 06-14-2012, 05:57 PM.

I bet you are excited. i would be too. Is it complete? Are we gonna get to see pictures later? Congradulations.

Comment

To: studefan,----You did good! VERY VERY GOOD!!!!!!!

Comment

Too Cool! I just love the picture of the number "5" car from Bonneville. It resides on my computer desk top and on a Bonneville poster in my office. Great find if you ever want to sell the engine let me know.

Allen

Click image for larger version

Name:	Darnell crop Studebaker Hawk ARCA 1964.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1674584
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Congrats again, Jeff, as we discussed on the phone this evening.

Your post, here, referenced Production Dates but did not actually cite them, so here they are for those so interested:

The first five pre-production 1964 Studebaker non-Avantis, the ones that were likely hand-assembled for Bonneville duty, we all assembled on the same day: June 27, 1963.

Now keep that in mind: The five pre-production, Bonneville-destined cars (three Daytona Convertibles and two Gran Turismo Hawks) were assembled June 27, 1963.

The next 1964 model assembled was 64V1006: A Golden Sand Daytona Wagonaire with 259.It was assembled August 8, 1963!

So from there you can see there was about a six-week window, including all of July 1963, when no 1964 models were built. This likely accounts for the fact that the engines in the first five cars had 1963-style engine serial numbers, rather than the new, 1964 engine number formatting.

Again, Jeff; cool beans. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE PICTURES!!!!!!!!! What a find!!!
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Great historical find. Nice going.
              Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
              Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Congratulations Jeff. I too am waiting for pictures.

Comment

... and the chant started quietly first, slowly building to a peak: "pictures, pictures, Pictures, PICTURES, PICTURES!"

Comment

I don't have very good pictures to share but here is one showing the engine number. Some items are not currently mounted on the engine such as the supercharger, sealed carb, intake manifold, and water manifold but they are all present. The previous owner had it for nearly 40 years having purchased it from the public relations manager for Granatelli's company in 1973.

Comment

Is that just a nut laying on the Oil Filler Pipe hole cover, or is that maybe a Oil return fitting for an Engine Oil Cooler?
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, it is some kind of fitting. Maybe Granatelli added an engine oil cooler? Here is another picture showing it a little better if you zoom in.

Comment

Jeff,

I have to ask... What are your plans for the motor?
                          Jim Bradley
                          Lake Monticello, VA
                          '78 Avanti II
                          sigpic

Comment

What a neat find! Brought to mind the JTS engine I LITERALLY dug up in a West Hollywood back yard some years ago. Turned out it had started life in an R2 Hawk that was used for/by the Mr. Ed production company. Alan now owns that particular block.
                            I exeaggerate not one bit in saying that when I first laid eyes on it, it was half buried to where a person could be forgiven for thinking it was a V4. Heh - I did not want that hunk of scrap iron, but the guy I got it from insisted that I was taking EVERYTHING Studebaker, or NOTHING - so, reluctantly, I loaded the piece of junk and it's crankshaft. When I got home, I unceremoniously dumped the junk piece out back. There it lay until some months later, when I scraped away the gunk to confirm what the PO had said about it being an R2 block. Well whaddya know? Then about $450 bucks later, the machine shop had it all cleaned up and ready to be built.
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Cool story Bob.

Jim, I don't know what I want to do with the engine yet. I thought about painting it pretty and putting it on an engine stand to display in my garage. Thought about selling it. Thought maybe the museum might be interested in displaying it. I really have no idea yet but I do want to look it over real closely to see what else Granatelli may have done to it. Need to check the bore diameter too.

Comment

Working...
                              X