1947 M-5....complete interior replacement for South Bend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 M-5....complete interior replacement for South Bend

First photo is the truck loaded after we finalized our deal.....bringing it home. Second and third photos are of the interior when purchased. Last ones are of a gutted interior ....ready for replacement.

There was an old GM column with a GM something wiring harness....and banjo steering wheel. The rest of the cabin was very dated. We will add a new Flaming River tilt column ...autowire 12 circuit harness ....Billet ...the hanging brake pedal mount will be reconfigured to cleanly accept the new pedal system for acceleration and braking.

The dash will be reworked to accept a Classic Instrument's gauge cluster, while adding a Vintage Air heating unit... reworking the buckets and covering everything with complimentary shades of tan Ultra Leather. And........last but not least....hush mat and thermal mat entire cab....covering the floor with new carpet.

Wanted to bring the 56J we have been working on but not ready for South Bend so we will get this done for the show, offering it for sale complete and in need of nothing but someone who will enjoy the truck for what it is.
    Attached Files

I remember when the truck was for sale. I communicated with owner and downsized pictures and sent them back to him ,so he could load them . I thought it was a sharp truck. Keep us updated!
    Randy Wilkin
    1946 M5 Streetrod
    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
      I remember when the truck was for sale. I communicated with owner and downsized pictures and sent them back to him ,so he could load them . I thought it was a sharp truck. Keep us updated!
      It is a beautiful truck...and she runs as good as she looks. Streamling and simplifying is all we are doing. I have never been a red and gray enthusiast. The only thing the former owner had not gotten to was the wiring...so we are addressing that and in doing so a few more things to make the car more enjoyable to drive. Cloth interiors never moved me much either...so we are making the change to ultra leathers. Truth be known....only the electrics needed done....I just can't helpmyself at times !! I hope to build a set of front to rear black running boards in time for the show....we'll see.

....by the way ... I like your truck
      Last edited by mike super; 06-13-2012, 10:25 AM.

Comment

If you've not made your column purchase yet, I'd stongly suggest talkinging to Ididit in Tecumseh, Mi. Wall thickness is twice what your considering. Everything is produced in and on American soil, not just assembled in America and pieces made off shore. Old saying is "Get what ya pay for, Pay for what ya get."
        The glich in the "Made in America" is if it's assembled here, it's made here, know where the components come from. I've had the opportunity to see both brands side by side. I'm aquainted with the family who owns Ididit and have been shown the differences for my self.
        Kim

Comment

Originally posted by kamzack View Post
          If you've not made your column purchase yet, I'd stongly suggest talkinging to Ididit in Tecumseh, Mi. Wall thickness is twice what your considering. Everything is produced in and on American soil, not just assembled in America and pieces made off shore. Old saying is "Get what ya pay for, Pay for what ya get."
          The glich in the "Made in America" is if it's assembled here, it's made here, know where the components come from. I've had the opportunity to see both brands side by side. I'm aquainted with the family who owns Ididit and have been shown the differences for my self.
          Kim
          Done.... You made my day. Good to know there are company's out there that produce and buy all components here at home !!!!

Comment

The show is in 5 weeks... give or take. Kent Stauffer, KS Custom's, has redone the dash completely....leaving only the glove box door in place. The photos attached show the original interior with an old GM tilt column and the hokey flamed brake pedal and poorly placed accelerator pedal withi the compartment. As you can see, we are using a 2 inch tilt column at an angle that affords more leg room. The accelerator pedal is moved 2 inches closer to the firewall while the brake pedal has been moved 4 inches closer to the firewall. A normal sized human will now fit in the confines. OH OH..... 2 inches is taken ou of the back of the buckets for even more room. Kent will complete all his work tomorrow....to include the new lokar brake and accelerator components. Ordered the new billet steering wheel and two 5 inch gauges to complete the redo. We will rewire with American Autowire 12 circuit kit over the week end. It then goes to john miller for the interior and carpet. It will be ready for South Bend and I will bring it....offering it at that time for someone else to own and enjoy.
            Attached Files

Comment

Making good progress there. Was the dash painted with a roller? Looks like it's textured.

Comment

The old gray dash was textured in some way. I hated it along with all the other little things they let slide when they did the interior. The interior John Miller designed will pop and add to the truck....not take from it as this did.

Comment

Attaching some shots of the Compartment with 4 weeks and a few days till South Bend. KS Custom's reconfigured the dash to one that is structurally and asthetically a 100% of the cobbled mess they used in the truck. the two red primed inserts you see on the dash will be covered in same color ultra leather accept the three gauges, as pictured, while covering a 2"x8" square area above the glove box...accenting the word STUDEBAKER. This color is the secondary one that is used on both seats and overlay a portion of the primary color ultra leather in each door panel. Kent replaced the bulky GM column with a new 2 inch tilt column....replacing the accelerator pedal with a Locar black annodized ....while reconfiguring the break pedal arm moving it 4 inches closer to the firewall and putting on a much smaller Lokar brake pedal to match the accelerator. Should finish wiring this week and over to get it upholtered. You can see the finished product for the first time in South Bend. But will photos when we get home from the show.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Go on ebay, get ya' some "Fat Mat" and cover the entire interior with it. That will help with heat and sound.

Jim
                    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                    their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
                      Go on ebay, get ya' some "Fat Mat" and cover the entire interior with it. That will help with heat and sound.

Jim
                      I am using something similiar to your Fat Mat product....never leave home with out it !!! Makes a world of difference !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X