Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V6 Truck Wars: Game On!

Geeze, the times they are a' changin'.

First Ford touted the power and economy of their Ecoboost V6, now the 2013 Ram is bragging about the power of their V6. 'Wonder what The General is gonna' come up with; they've sure been silent about V6 power so far.

Look at the size of the tandem-axle boat trailer and large boat Ma MoPar shows this thing hauling out of the water...in a full four-door truck, to boot:

View pickup trucks & cargo vans. Explore the entire Ram lineup of trucks & vans on the official Ram site today!
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

With the Dakota gone in 2011, and the Ranger gone in 2012, GM will be the only "Domestic" to stay in the small truck business. The Shreveport, LA plant that built the old Colorado/Canyon will shut down shortly. Colorado/Canyon will then be built on the same lines as other full size trucks.

That may be your answer as to why no high output V6 from GM. The elimination of the dedicated plant is an admission small truck sales have fallen off a cliff.

I see this decision putting even more distance between F150 and Silverado on the sales charts. GM may have made different decisions had they not been "distracted" from their cash generating models for other reasons since 2009. This is likely going to suck even more market share from them. Tacoma buyers won't swarm to a Colorado.

I took to the Colorado (have a 2009 Crew Cab 4x4) because of it's unusual in line engine family (3.7 5 cyl), and my great experience with the 4.2 6 cyl in my TrailBlazer. I get low 20's MPG average with my Colorado, and I like it. That's about the same as an F150 Ecoboost gets today.

It will be my last GM. And, I won't buy from Sergio. But, that's me.

Comment

The new Pentastar 3.6 L V6 is impressive at 305 HP, 269 Ft-Lbs and MPG ratings of 17 city and 24 highway. But towing capacity numbers haven't been released and I doubt the Pentastar will equal the Ford F-150 EcoBoost V6 rating of 11,300 lbs.
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386
      Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
        The new Pentastar 3.6 L V6 is impressive at 305 HP, 269 Ft-Lbs and MPG ratings of 17 city and 24 highway. But towing capacity numbers haven't been released and I doubt the Pentastar will equal the Ford F-150 EcoBoost V6 rating of 11,300 lbs.
        Right, John; I watched the video, listening for tow ratings. As you say, ZIP.

But that boat on the tandem-axle trailer had to be close to 9,000 pounds...or more.

All this is academic for me: My trailer-tow equipped 2002 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 V8 I purchased new in August 2002 still doesn't have 35,000 miles on it and looks like even less. So at age 66, I anticipate it lasting the rest of my driving/towing life.

Still, to see a V6 towing these enormous loads in quad-cab, full-size pickup trucks seems amazing. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I bought a 2003 Silverado new with the small V8 (4.8).. Installed a Hypertech program in the computer and get excellent mileage and sufficent power.. Occasionally pulling a 27' Trailmaner camper.. V6 ?? Not me..

Ben

Comment

In 2003 I bought a new Silverado with the 4.8 V8.. Installed a Hypertech program in the computer.. I occasionally pull a 27' Trailmaner camper with it.. Did not get the trailer towing package because of the axle ratio supplied in the option.. I've sufficent power and economy.. V6? Not me..

Ben

Comment

I have had a V6 Silverado pickup for almost a decade.
              It has towed way WAY more than it should have.
              But it has not towed anything for 90% of my tenure.
              I'll take the mileage advantage I got for that 90%, rather than the diminished towing performance for that 10% of the time....
              Jeff
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Right, Jeff...and let's face it, that's what most people do, for the reason you state. 'Makes sense.

The point they seem to be making now is that you don't have to compromise; you get the economy you want for 90% "untowing" driving and the "legal" tow rating when you need it, with nothing being stressed beyond its design parameters, even temporarily. 'Still amazes me.

If I had one, I'd be sure to keep the oil changed right on time, earlier if towing, since those lil' buggers sure aren't loafing if they are towing those big loads. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  'Wonder what The General is gonna' come up with; they've sure been silent about V6 power so far.
                  Ummm...maybe their going to find the old rusted tooling and revive that truck V6 from the early '60's...the one which also became the 'Toroflow' diesel not long after. (if history repeats itself like GM did with the 231, where they bought back the tooling from Jeep and got a second life out of it.)

Craig

Comment

Posted by Bob Palma
                    'Wonder what The General is gonna' come up with; they've sure been silent about V6 power so far.
                    Should not be to tough as the 2013 Impala has 306 HP - 264 ft-lbs of V6 power.

No problem with these little devils in a 1/2 Ton pickup but their torque numbers are at fairly high RPM. Any decent towing capacity will require a 6-speed or more tranny to get it moving and keep it moving on the highway. I had a 4.3 L V6 in a 1/2 ton Chevy and it was fine for general driving and light towing.

Realistically, Setups like this are the wave of the future as most truck buyers drive a vehicle with more towing capacity than they will ever use.

As TIME magazine says: Most Americans know how to save energy, they just chose not to. So I expect V6's in pickup's will be a long uphill battle.

Bob
                    Last edited by sweetolbob; 06-11-2012, 07:30 PM.

Comment

I got some info from Chrysler today that they have chosen to come out with an 8 speed automatic for 2013. My new 2012 Dodge Ram Hemi has the new 6 speed.
                      Frank van Doorn
                      Omaha, Ne.
                      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

V6s sure have come a long way. The 4300 Vortec I had in my '01 GMC Sierra (you know, the engine that was 3/4 of a 350) was acceptable, but 200 horses in a longbed with automatic was not up to par.

These days, a V6 is nothing to sneeze at.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                          V6s sure have come a long way. The 4300 Vortec I had in my '01 GMC Sierra (you know, the engine that was 3/4 of a 350) was acceptable, but 200 horses in a longbed with automatic was not up to par.

These days, a V6 is nothing to sneeze at.
                          Apples to Oranges I suppose but, a number of years ago MCI (Motor Coach Industries) decided to put a V6 diesel rather than the V8 that had been
                          the mainstay power source for years in their buses. When those V6's were tuned up properly they would out perform the V8 in all respects. Now that they're building the larger, heavier 45' coaches they've switched to the GM Series 60 inline Big Six which is even a better engine than the V6. The Turbo charger is but one of the reasons these sixes are so 'hot.'
                          Last edited by JimsLeadCommander; 06-11-2012, 09:12 PM.
                          JimsLeadCommander

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                            I got some info from Chrysler today that they have chosen to come out with an 8 speed automatic for 2013. My new 2012 Dodge Ram Hemi has the new 6 speed.
                            'Prolly the same e-mail from which I picked this, Frank, since we both are owners / buyers of record of new Dodge trucks....although they've sold you a lot more of them than they've sold me! BP

Comment

I would think with an 8 speed transmission you could pull most anything with a 4 cyl eng, thats getting the gears way down there. The tranny makes up for power. I'd sure like to have one of those in my 64 259.
                              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Working...
                              X