PDA

View Full Version : Last chance sale of the Kirby Studebakers (and others)

06-11-2012, 03:52 PM
I hate it when people say "if this doesn't sell in x days, it goes to the scrapper", Well, I'm in that position now. I went to Kirby's for the first time since last Monday and found that the son-in-law marked every car I listed as possible scrap for a local scrapper to pick up. And, the local scrapper has started just that- three sliding roof wagons gone, '62 wagon w/roof rack gone, several sedans and a dozen or so non-Studebakers (including a '48 Packard). They have agreed to hold off taking any more Studebakers for now, but I don't know how long that will work.
Hopefully my updated Studebakers list will paste here. Prices, with only a few exceptions, are estimated scrap values.
I also learned of another kick in the teeth, a real Catch 22. The EPA will not permit sale of parts off the cars and will fine the family if they learn of such sales. They want the cars completely gone. So, any cars sold have to be removed. The reason they checked Torrey's collection in the first place was the state of WV made him get a salvage yard license even though it was a private collection and the EPA is cracking down on all salvage yards. See another post for a '58 Packard hardtop deal.
Please PM me if you are seriously interested and can move the car(s) soon.

Studebakers 6/11/2012
Very few of these cars have run in recent years, may have stuck engines. Mechanical condition undetermined.

Vehicle Serial Number Description
’64 Stude Comm 4 door white ???In garage, very decent, six, stick, nice interior, some rust repair, driven within the last yeaar. sell eBay or $1,000

’47-’49 Champion,4-dr gray G-424321 in garage, Very nice condition- eBay or $2500 was running two years ago

’58 Stude President Classic ??? in garage, poor paint and pitted chrome, pretty decent overall- eBay or $2,000

’58 Comm 4-dr 8475722 A/T, radio, not much rust, hood stuck, $500

’64 Comm 2-dr, blue couldn’t open door A/T, rough, key in ign, broken window $245

’58 Comm 4-dr, black locked Stick, fairly complete, moderate rust $290

’52 Champion 4-dr, med green G11386508 A/T, fairly solid, many parts in back and trunk $250

‘54 Champion Coupe, lt blue no serial plate extremely rusty, some $$ parts $250

’63 Lark Regal 4-dr, lt blue 63S533458 6 cyl, stick, bad rust, scrap $250

’61 Lark conv, yellow 61V 21269 V8, well equipped, many valuable parts, extreme rust,-spoken for

’51 4-dr, lt blue. poison ivy and brush, Believe Regal Champion, stick, radio, fairly solid $245

’50 Champion 4-dr too close to next car Useable parts $250

’57 President Classic couldn’t open door A/T, clock, very rusty, some useable parts $295 turquoise and white
’59-’60 Lark 4-dr, blue couldn’t open door V-8, 2 bbl, A/T, radio, fairly solid, parts car $265

’42 or ‘46 Comm 4-dr didn’t try extreme surface rust, rusty body- scrap $295

’55 Comm 4-dr couldn’t open door OD, clock, useable grille $280

’62 Lark Regal 4-dr couldn’t open (stump) A/T, split recliners w/headrests, pb radio, moderate rust $275

’64 Comm 4-dr,blue C11852 no engine/trans, fairly solid, sell as parts car $200

’63 Lark Regal 4-dr, white no serial plate 6 cyl, stick, radio, useable front fenders, sell as parts car $250

’56 Pres Classic 4-dr couldn’t open door AT, pb radio, clock, wheel covers, much rust, $300

Zip Van (first) no serial plate rusty, some parts, scrap offer of $300 rec’d

Zip Van (second) “ “ “ rusty, some parts, scrap, has a number of parts in cargo bay, may be Packard stuff, offer of $300 received

’63 Lark Regal 2-dr, white couldn’t open door 6 w/stick, very rusty, parts car, scrap $240

’62 Lark Regal 4-dr, gray couldn’t open door AT, pb radio, sitting on ground, parts car $250

’54 Land Cruiser 4-dr, blue couldn’t open door AT, radio, clock, backups- parts car $290

’61 Lark hardtop Autumn Haze 61S 8431 6 cyl stick, spoken for

’66 Cruiser 4-dr, lt blue 64VC 2471 AT, AM radio, usual rust, water stained seats, w/black vinyl top,fair, $300, spoken for

’64 Cruiser4-dr, black 64VC2553 split recliners, AT, clock, pb radio, ps, p/brakes moderate rust $300

’48-49 Land Cruiser 4-dr 4368724 radio gone, solid, backups, sell eBay or $300

’56 Commander 4-dr 8456053 AT, pb radio, clock, bad w/s and pass door glass, green and white parts or scrap $285

’61 Lark 2-dr, lt blue, can’t get to door 6 cyl, AT, little rust, bent fender, eBay or $240 haven’t found title

’63 Cruiser, blue 63V25960 AT, ps, split recliners, clock, pb radio, wswashers, nicely equipped, may belong to Brett Weare

’66 Commander 4-dr, maroon, can’t open door, AT, V8, rusty floors, sold Kern Motors, Winchester, VA $300 spoken for

’59 Lark hardtop 59V23816 Reclining bench seat, V8 stick, very rusty floors, $275 spoken for

60 Lark wagon 4-dr 60S 56218 6 cyl, AT, dash partly gone, clock, $285 lt blue
’59 Lark 2-dr 59S 84523 6 cyl, stick, no radiator, rusty floors and fenders $235

’64 Comm 4-dr, dk blue, door blocked single h/l, pretty solid ($255)

s1b
06-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Sad. Wish they were closer......... I'm wanting a 62-65. Bad timing

Roscomacaw
06-11-2012, 06:37 PM
I have to ask if the son KNEW of his dad's wishes for the fate of these cars. Also, did he know of your efforts, Paul? I know if they had been MY dad's treasures, I'd hot have called the scrapper so close after his passing. Ehhh - estates bring out the best in folks, eh?

1962larksedan
06-11-2012, 07:20 PM
The EPA has gone insane on not allowing people to part out vehicles prior to them being scrapped.

avantilover
06-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Sad. Wish they were closer......... I'm wanting a 62-65. Bad timing

Why do people always say this, if you want one speak up - possibly someone can store it at their property until you can collect it. No point grumbling once they're gone

avantilover
06-12-2012, 02:44 AM
At the risk of sounding unkind, why have such a collection of vehicles that are never going to be restored, thus depriving others of their wanted car?

s1b
06-12-2012, 05:23 AM
Why do people always say this, if you want one speak up - possibly someone can store it at their property until you can collect it. No point grumbling once they're gone

Its the moment of shock when you read something like this. Venting........... Sorry if it bothers you that much.

06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
At the risk of sounding unkind, why have such a collection of vehicles that are never going to be restored, thus depriving others of their wanted car?

A very good question- one which is hard to be answer. For many years he refused offers on cars because he was "going to restore them". Of course as time went on the cars, many that were driven in and parked, sank in to the dirt, got wet inside, suffered sun damage/varmint damage, vandalism and became what they are today. He had neither the money or skill to restore any of them much less more than a hundred.
Unfortunately this is not an uncommon scenario in the States. I have inquired a number of times about decent cars sitting in fields and such only to be told that "I'm going to restore them" which never happens.
He clearly suffered obsessive compulsive disorder (OSD), not just in buying cars (long story).

Sam Ensley
06-12-2012, 11:37 AM
What a treasure trove! I was impressed with all of the cars when I picked up my '64. Every single car appeared to have lots of good usable parts. It's a shame somebody like Matthew Burnett couldn 't go in there and remove good bolt-on parts. I would imagine that many of those cars, especially the Packards and Kaisers, have lots of hard-to-find parts.
I can't say anything about Mr. Kirby being a hoarder. There's a lot of what my wife calls "yard art" setting around our place.
It was a full two-day (round) trip up to West Virginia to get the car, but it was am enjoyable ride. An old college friend went along for the ride. All of the Kirby family, and especially Paul Johnson were very helpful in getting the car loaded.
It's just so depressing to think about all of that good stuff going to the crusher.

06-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Once we get the cars manageable I will start eBaying some of the goodies Torrey accumulated over the years. How's this for a neat item?

starliner62
06-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Paul, is the AMC wagon still available? I may have a buyer for it.

Bob Andrews
06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
A very good question- one which is hard to be answer. For many years he refused offers on cars because he was "going to restore them". Of course as time went on the cars, many that were driven in and parked, sank in to the dirt, got wet inside, suffered sun damage/varmint damage, vandalism and became what they are today. He had neither the money or skill to restore any of them much less more than a hundred.
Unfortunately this is not an uncommon scenario in the States. I have inquired a number of times about decent cars sitting in fields and such only to be told that "I'm going to restore them" which never happens.
He clearly suffered obsessive compulsive disorder (OSD), not just in buying cars (long story).

This won't help the situation, but I know something about this. I have some understanding of it, having done a lesser version of it. Just this year I woke up and faced that reality. To that end I have changed my paradigm and am busy divesting myself of most all my cars. I used to have a sizable collection of nice cars that were used and well kept. But I always had 50 or so that I accumulated under the guise of 'saving them from the crusher'. I used to travel all over creation doing 'rescues', saving cars nobody else would cross the street for, let alone spend time and money to haul. This year I realized that they were doing nothing but deteriorating. Unlike Mr. Kirby, I had no illusions of restoring them all, I just enjoyed having them, knowing they were out there and not crushed. I enjoyed wandering through them occasionally. Linda didn't mind- they were out of sight, and it was better than all she went through when I was racing.

Torrey's situation really was a wake-up call for me. I'm only 50 and in pretty good health, but while I have plans to stick around a few more decades, my family has a history of dying in their early 50s. I thought of everything I had and realized that the prospect of leaving my family with the emotional task of clearing this stuff out was not loving them well. As the cars roll out- most to the crusher- it hurts my heart. But I know it's the right thing. I have a few good Studes that will be going soon, probably eBay- the Provincial, Wagonaire, 62 Daytona, 62 GT 4-speed.

I know it must be hard for you to handle this and see that most of the cars are probably doomed. I'm sure it's heart-rending for Mrs. Kirby to deal with.

If it's any consolation, I am using the lessons taught here to better my, and my family's, situation. I, too, wish I had a way to help.

Best regards to all involved.

Bob Andrews
06-12-2012, 04:47 PM

See my above post. But in fairness, the July '12 HCC has an article on a guy that has begun the restoration of a Nash roadster he has owned and intended to restore for over 60 YEARS. So while it's not the norm, it does happen...

Flashback
06-12-2012, 04:57 PM
The EPA has gone insane on not allowing people to part out vehicles prior to them being scrapped.

The EPA hasen't just now gone insane. It's been that way a long time. They were institutiolalized by the citizens, until we all became so complacant, and they were let out to run rampant into society.

Roscomacaw
06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Hmmm.... There's a thriving business here in California. One where you go into a wrecking yard and take off whatever parts you want before the vehicles are scrapped. It's a shame about the EPA sticking their nose into this liquidation, but I have a hard time envisioning the EPA swat team swooping in and asking "Where's those beltline mouldings that were on that '55 Commader?!!!"
I'd surmize that their involvment is more the state of WVs fault for making him get a junkyard permit and thereby laying the path for the EPA to get involved.

Gunslinger
06-12-2012, 10:20 PM
While this is off topic, it just seems to me that the EPA, NHTSA, DOT, bureaucrats of all stripes and politicians would simply prefer to see all old cars (and their owners) just go away. That way they won't have to listen and address complaints about what new regulations might do to old cars. If the old cars went away it would make life easier for them.

While they're intended to serve good purposes these agencies have often become powers unto themselves and want to exercise that power...regardless of whether it is helpful.

avantilover
06-15-2012, 02:47 AM
See my above post. But in fairness, the July '12 HCC has an article on a guy that has begun the restoration of a Nash roadster he has owned and intended to restore for over 60 YEARS. So while it's not the norm, it does happen...

Indeed it does Bob and I'm happy for him as his car was in a shed protected, not left to rot outside whilst the I'm gonna restore it someday nonesense was used as an excuse not to sell cars which just became worthless to anyone.

Such is life I guess but also such a waste of vehicles someone may have loved.

loc8tor
06-15-2012, 06:07 AM
do you have a list of the other makes as of yet???