PDA

View Full Version : VERY near disaster!

raoul5788
06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
I was driving my Packard wagon to a picnic this morning. I thought I smelled a little gas, but that's not so unusual. Then it stalled, and I barely got it started by flooring the gas pedal. It started and I made it the mile or so farther I needed to. When I got there I checked under the hood. Gas was spurting out of the line from the filter to the carburetor! The electric choke line was touching the rubber fuel line and had melted a hole in it! I am VERY lucky the gas didn't ignite. I shudder to think the result! I'm going to replace the rubber with a metal line tomorrow!

gordr
06-10-2012, 04:54 PM
The electric choke line should not be getting hot at all! Maybe right near the choke element itself, a little heat would transfer down the wire by conduction, but it should never get hot enough to melt through rubber hose.

Check to make sure you have wire of sufficient gauge to pass the current demand of the choke heater.

Are you sure it melted, and didn't just rub through by friction?

doug
06-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I always shudder when I see a rubber fuel line in the pressure side of the pump. Put the filter before the fuel pump.

raoul5788
06-10-2012, 05:31 PM
The electric choke line should not be getting hot at all! Maybe right near the choke element itself, a little heat would transfer down the wire by conduction, but it should never get hot enough to melt through rubber hose.

Check to make sure you have wire of sufficient gauge to pass the current demand of the choke heater.

Are you sure it melted, and didn't just rub through by friction?

It's possible it rubbed through. I didn't look that closely at it.

Roscomacaw
06-10-2012, 06:01 PM
You need to kneel in praise to the great God of Fate, Chip. :o Oh - and go buy a lottery ticket before the luck aura fades too much. :D

SN-60
06-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Yes, there aren't enough '57 Packard Wagons left to lose one that way.

Roscomacaw
06-10-2012, 09:05 PM
In my collection of body tags I've got on that reads 57L-P..... Past the P, the tag is melted.

mbstude
06-10-2012, 09:44 PM
I had a carb fire in my old '58 Commander once. It was the middle of July and I was in Florida, I'd stopped to fuel up and shut the engine down. The car had been vapor locking, but not bad enough that it would die completely. Went to start it back up and it coughed and sputtered, finally caught and backfired and then I saw smoke coming up from under the hood. I opened the hood, saw the insulation and paper air filter flaming up, then ran inside the gas station to get a fire extinguisher. The non-American cash register operator couldn't understand what I wanted, he just kept pointing and saying "car on fire!"

I went back out and grabbed a barrel of water used to clean windshields and dumped it onto the engine bay. Once my nerves calmed back down, the car started back up and I drove on home. I got lucky, the only casualty was the Mr. Gasket air cleaner.

kurtruk
06-10-2012, 10:04 PM
The non-American cash register operator couldn't understand what I wanted, he just kept pointing and saying "car on fire!"

I don't get it: You had time to ask of his/her citizenship during an emergency? :confused:

studeclunker
06-11-2012, 01:05 AM
The non-American cash register operator couldn't understand what I wanted, he just kept pointing and saying "car on fire!"

I don't get it: You had time to ask of his/her citizenship during an emergency? :confused:

I'd say it's a reasonably good guess if the idjit didn't speak english, they were from out of the country.:rolleyes:

I had a similar situation with my '64 stationwagon. It wiped out the wiring under the dash, but didn't go much further. Thankfully, I had another wiring harness available when I had the time to fix it.

warrlaw1
06-11-2012, 09:25 AM
I had a carb fire in my first 55 and it melted the oil pressure gauge line, too. Put it out with a blanket while one of my Ojibway friends ran around the car yelling Fire! He was just trying to help, I guess.

62champ
06-11-2012, 12:38 PM
I'd say it's a reasonably good guess if the idjit didn't speak english, they were from out of the country.:rolleyes:

A co-worker's grandmother has lived in the US since the late 1940's and only knows Italian. She insisted her grandchildren only learn to speak English so they would not be looked at differently by society. Wish "fellow Americans" would not have put pressure on my grandparents back in the day or I could have learned Czech as well as German at home...

Want to be real careful with gasoline that is burning and water - since they do not mix most of the time it will only make things worse. Also knew someone who once told the story about someone else who also had an open carb that was burning. Guy hosed the inside of the engine bay down to put it out. He then tried to start the thing and proceeded to hydro-lock the engine...

This is an excellent reason to carry one of the those small extinguishers for these kinds of occasions...