engine transmission id/questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine transmission id/questions

Here is what I have I have a flat 6 170" with a 3 speed T86 transmission no over drive.
    I just got a 259 or 289? (engine number 3E 5741 Stamped, 535601 Cast) with a 4 speed
    T-98-IV WG DIV. I think the 4 speed has no over drive as well.
    I want to put the V8 in with the 3 speed and get an over drive for it. will the T86 match up to the V8?
    just looking for opinions and options. Thanks.

Are you sure you have a T-86? Usually the flathead 6 was teamed with the T-96, which wouldn't work with the 259 (at least not for long). If you do have a T-86, it would work OK with the 259, as that was a common setup from the factory.

Comment

You are right, the four speed has no overdrive. The T86 you have I have a flat 6 170" with a 3 speed T86 transmission no over drive may work, but you still won't have an overdrive, you'll have to get one with OD.

Comment

You'll have to find a tranny WITH OD incorporated. While it IS possible to convert a straight 3-spd to an overdrive 3-spd, I'd wager it's not something you'd do yourself. And as has been said already, you really need a T-86 to ably handle the V8. 170s and 185s in Stude cars were usually paired with the lighter duty T-96.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

yup it is a T-86 some one told me about a guy in PA that can rebuild it with an od I have looked around where I live but no luck finding one
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cove View Post
            /Cut/I just got a 259 or 289? (engine number 3E 5741 Stamped, 535601 Cast) with a 4 speedT-98-IV WG DIV. I think the 4 speed has no over drive as well./Cut/
            Keep in mind that this Engine is a Truck 259, so the Trans. Bell Housing front and rear engine mounts and Transmission do NOT fit cars.

There is a poster on this Forum who NEEDS exactly those pieces!

If you buy a V-8 Car clutch housing and Dial indicate the centerline of the big hole in it for the Trans. input shaft "nose cone" to the centline of the Crankshaft per the Shop Manual.

THEN you could install a T-86 Overdrive Trans. purchased from a SDC Member and or Forum member.

You will be money ahead of trying to make your Standard Trans into a Overdrive esentialy dissassembling TWO Trans. using the best parts of both to create an Overdrive.

If this Lark VI? were mine I would sell it and buy the correct Lark VIII car.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It is actually going into a 49 pickup. how bad would it be with the 259 and the t-86 with no overdrive? putting a different gear in the rear end also

Comment

Axle Ratio for 2R with 259 and Overdrive

Originally posted by cove View Post
                It is actually going into a 49 pickup. how bad would it be with the 259 and the t-86 with no overdrive? putting a different gear in the rear end also
                OK a 2R Truck, you did not say and I did not remember your prior posts about Trucks, sorry. I guess I got confused when I saw the T-86 CAR Trans. it could be a Truck T-90 with a T-86 case or who knows what. Next time remind us what Vehicle you have.

Anyway about the Rear Axle Ratio 4.88, it would still be pretty extreme even with Overdrive.

The Truck is pretty heavy so if you plan to actually LOAD it, you don't want to get too crazy with a High gear ratio any higher than 4.09 or Possibly 3.73 if no load. Remembering that you only have 259 c.i.d. and 170 or so HP with low compression heads.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                X