PDA

View Full Version : Decision time. Need your advise

pushrod63
06-10-2012, 08:38 AM
I have had a blast driving my 50 c cab around for the past few weeks. As you all know by now, the overdrive still isn't hooked up. My problem is this. I want the truck to be able to run highway speeds now and then. It was converted to 12V, leaving the OD inoperable. The pickup has 488 gears and tops out at around 42mph. I have a number of choices here.
1. Find a 12V solenoid and all the other switches to make the OD work.
2. Rig up a 6V battery system just for the OD.
3. Go back to 6V completely.
4. Change out the ring and pinion.
5. Swap out the entire rear end.

All of these choices will require $ and time. Just need some input as to which way would be the easiest and cheapest to do.

junior
06-10-2012, 08:58 AM
I'm thinking I'd start with the first choice...all parts were originally available from the factory.

whacker
06-10-2012, 09:26 AM
All you really need is a 12V solenoid. All the other electrical parts will work fine on 12 volts.

ROADRACELARK
06-10-2012, 09:26 AM
Unless I'm missing something, all you should need is the 12V solenoid. The switches and wiring don't care whether it's 6V or 12V. Anyway, 6V electrical systems use heavier gauge wire and switches than 12V. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

Roscomacaw
06-10-2012, 10:08 AM
What about a 12 volt relay too??? Yeah, all the "switches" will handle either voltage, but the relay's coil will be hard pressed to do so.

ROADRACELARK
06-10-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the "addition" Bob......CRS disease is creeping up faster than I would like to admit !

Dan Miller
Auburn, GA

Sdude
06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Swap the solenoid. That's all you need to do if everything else is OK. That's what I did and it worked fine until I got tired of trying to keep up with everybody and dropped in a 5.3/4L60E.

All the others are work arounds to avoid swapping the solenoid which is the easiest, cheapest, and most effective anyway.

Roscomacaw
06-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Tell me about it! :(

rusty65
06-10-2012, 11:22 AM
The CASO in me says go with option #1 or #2.If I had the money and/or the skills, however,I would swap out the entire rear end.Mothball the old rear end "just in case". Your truck will be even more of a blast to drive and you could go to all those long distance cruises and shows with no worries! [IMHO.of course.]

Chris_Dresbach
06-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Go with option 1. Already been there and done that, and it makes a huge difference going down the highway.

JRoberts
06-10-2012, 02:06 PM
I say option "1" as well. Easier than the others, especially swapping out rear ends.

pushrod63
06-10-2012, 03:14 PM
I should explain that I have none of the other parts for the OD. No relay or switches. I'm thinking ring and pinion swap because I don't really have much need for a 4.88 rear end ratio. I suppose I could plow the field with it.

Dick Steinkamp
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM
I should explain that I have none of the other parts for the OD. No relay or switches. I'm thinking ring and pinion swap because I don't really have much need for a 4.88 rear end ratio. I suppose I could plow the field with it.

Then I'd go with option 6. Activate the new 12V solenoid with a switch. If you're in OD, you just flick he switch off if you want kick down for a hill or passing.

The OD on my MGB is electric only. It is activated by the wiper stalk on the steering column. There is another switch on the trans that only allows the OD in 3rd and 4th gear to prevent use in reverse or too much torque multiplication in the lower gears. Pretty slick system.

Sdude
06-10-2012, 07:49 PM

That makes a difference. In that case go with the 5.3/4L60E option. If it wasn't on your list it should be.

pushrod63
06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
That makes a difference. In that case go with the 5.3/4L60E option. If it wasn't on your list it should be.

The little six has maybe 500 miles on it since the rebuild in the 80s and I just can't bring myself to pull it out. It runs very smooth.

Sdude
06-12-2012, 11:07 PM
The little six has maybe 500 miles on it since the rebuild in the 80s and I just can't bring myself to pull it out. It runs very smooth.

Mine had been rebuilt before I bought my truck so I hung on to it for several years. When I pulled it out, I found a good home for it. There will be another 49 2R5 on the road making good use of it. Meanwhile, I'm traveling in luxury.