CASO??? Really? I think not!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASO??? Really? I think not!

Last week I dropped the Packard off at a high end detail shop. I felt that the 11 year old "driver" paint job was looking a little tired. Plus the stone chips were really getting obvious. The day I took my car to get an estimate, there were 2 Ferrari's, a Porsche 356 Speedster, a 69 Z-28 Donovan race car....well, you get the picture. The day I dropped the car off, there were 2 Porsche turbos, a Mustang Cobra, mid 60's Mercedes... Today when I picked my Baby up, there was a Lamborghini, 2 other Porches, and a Ferrari. When I was settling up the bill, I wanted to tip the employee that did the work. "Well, yes they do accept tips but very few give them!" I explained what a CASO is and then proceeded to out do all those "fancy" car owners. I think I made a friend for life! Ray was very pleased and he told me how much he appreciated being able to do the work on my car. It really bothers me that those other car owners wouldn't think about tipping the guy taking care of their car. Believe me, having this job done was a sacrifice for us. I have been in the service industry all my working years. I don't have a problem taking care of the people that take care of me. What gives?
    Carey
    Packard Hawk

There are things that I can be a bit of a cheapskate about, but when it comes to customer service, I'd rather pay $10 to a guy who knows what he's doing and cares about serving my needs than saving $5 on someone who treats me like customer #48571.

Good service almost always trumps a good price in my books. In those rare times when I find someone who can do both, I'm a loyal customer for life.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

What gives?

It's like the old joke goes. What's the difference between a Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Mustang and a ???

I think you know what the answer to that one is. Good thing there was no BMW's there, because I drive a BMW.
      sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
      Bubbaland South
      Resident Machinist

Comment

Giving credit for good service does all the good & keeps the crap-worx to the greedy folx!

& by the way, I had a BaderMeinhofWagen once & I've been driving my friends beemers & I say: No thanx!
        & my opinion is that they should've kept to making bikes, THAT they can actually do quality-like. (I've had a couple of them.)
        But then, it might be that they make them better for the US market, here in Europe the wreck-yards are full of them & it's by far the brand that's for sale the most of as second-hand cars...
        Still; most youngsters anyway fall for the image.

Comment

Originally posted by Nox View Post
          Giving credit for good service does all the good & keeps the crap-worx to the greedy folx!

& by the way, I had a BaderMeinhofWagen once & I've been driving my friends beemers & I say: No thanx!
          & my opinion is that they should've kept to making bikes, THAT they can actually do quality-like. (I've had a couple of them.)
          But then, it might be that they make them better for the US market, here in Europe the wreck-yards are full of them & it's by far the brand that's for sale the most of as second-hand cars...
          Still; most youngsters anyway fall for the image.
          I traded off my one and only Studebaker for the BMW and I like the Beemer hell of allot better. With that being said, it was an image thing and I'm not a youngster either.

The joke is not about the quality of any of the vehicles, it was about the person behind the steering wheel in case you couldn't figure that out.
          sigpic

J&JW Machine Co.
          Bubbaland South
          Resident Machinist

Comment

Well stated DB.

You can never go wrong saying thanks for a job well done. It may be money, a case of pop or beer or a favor in return but you are seldom forgotten if you make an attempt.

I've done my share of "lighting up the room" when service or quality suffered but I never forget to say thanks in an appropriate manner.

Bob

Comment

[I have been in the service industry all my working years. I don't have a problem taking care of the people that take care of me. What gives? ]

It's like what my Mom would say,"Those who have the most give the least."I always give a healthy tip to those who provide quality service and tell them straight up that I appreciate it. I don't mind paying extra for a product or service if I know I'm getting taken care of.I call it a "value added".
              @ JimC, I couldn't agree with you more!!

Comment

To: Dads Baby,----- Was wondering what year/model Packard You own?

Comment

I'm working on a Ferrari also between the Avanti restoration, and the Bently Continental last week. I will say most of my Stude clients end up as friends, long after the car has left the shop.
                  Bez Auto Alchemy
                  573-318-8948
                  http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Please post a picture of the new paint job Carey

Comment

StudeMichael, trust me when I tell you that I went for the least expensive option given to me! 3 stage buff & polish, not the $2500 wet sand and buff!

Ed, I have the 42nd Packard Hawk built. She has fewer than 41,000 miles but I am working on that!

2 shots outside the shop and then a retake with a better camera!

Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1674554Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	1674555Click image for larger version

Name:	014.6.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1674556
                      Carey
                      Packard Hawk

Comment

Originally posted by Dads Baby View Post
                        Last week I dropped the Packard off at a high end detail shop. I felt that the 11 year old "driver" paint job was looking a little tired. Plus the stone chips were really getting obvious. The day I took my car to get an estimate, there were 2 Ferrari's, a Porsche 356 Speedster, a 69 Z-28 Donovan race car....well, you get the picture. The day I dropped the car off, there were 2 Porsche turbos, a Mustang Cobra, mid 60's Mercedes... Today when I picked my Baby up, there was a Lamborghini, 2 other Porches, and a Ferrari. When I was settling up the bill, I wanted to tip the employee that did the work. "Well, yes they do accept tips but very few give them!" I explained what a CASO is and then proceeded to out do all those "fancy" car owners. I think I made a friend for life! Ray was very pleased and he told me how much he appreciated being able to do the work on my car. It really bothers me that those other car owners wouldn't think about tipping the guy taking care of their car. Believe me, having this job done was a sacrifice for us. I have been in the service industry all my working years. I don't have a problem taking care of the people that take care of me. What gives?
                        I don't know that I would assume "fancy car" owners don't want to "take care" of the guy doing work on their car. My first reaction was I would think that type of employees gets paid well for their work, and it's not the type of job where tips are expected. Nothing against what you did, but my "reward" to them would be my return business and/or referring their work to others.
                        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
                        Regal Deluxe Trim
                        Automatic transmission
                        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

After so many times paying a not so fair price for a rim job without vaseline, I find it hard not to leave a tip of some sorts in return for fair pricing and quality work. Quality work and fair price doesn't always co-exist in a whole lotta shops. cheers jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Originally posted by deco_droid View Post
                            I don't know that I would assume "fancy car" owners don't want to "take care" of the guy doing work on their car. My first reaction was I would think that type of employees gets paid well for their work, and it's not the type of job where tips are expected. Nothing against what you did, but my "reward" to them would be my return business and/or referring their work to others.
                            DD

Those are certainly fair comments but in most situations people pay their bills and the provider just continues on. What I want to create is a memory that I care about what and how he preformed and I appreciated his/her effort.

We tip our pilot that flys us into the fishing camp yearly. For some reason we seem to be first party picked up on check out day.

I can also think of several other instances where I've been involved positively in "What goes around comes around".

On the other hand, there are a few local venders that also remember me when service was less than expected. Just ask the Chrysler dealer that flushed my wife's Intrepid transmission and left the lines loose to wear through from the crank pulley 50 miles from home. He didn't think he should pay for the repairs but did.

Bob

Comment

Carey,
                              Nice looking Packard Hawk. My 76 Avanti was parked next to a twin of your car last Thursday night at a cruise in Frankfort IL. That car was equally as nice as yours.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X