PDA

View Full Version : Wagonaire update...Exterior done

Dick Steinkamp
06-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm not as driven on this car as I have been on past ones. I work steady on it, but lots of fun distractions get in the way of really powering through it. At this point, I think I'm done with the exterior, engine and trans are in place and i'm in the process of final hook ups to make it a runner, brakes are done (Turner front, stock drums rear, dual master with power assist), suspension rebuilt, power steering rebuilt, etc. Very few mechanicals left.

I rolled the car out of the shop today and took a few pictures...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire%20Slideshow%203/SAM_2201.jpg

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire%20Slideshow%203/SAM_2168.jpg

Jerry Forrester did the chrome. Here's an example of his pot metal work...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire%20Slideshow%203/SAM_2210.jpg

I'm much happier with a rechromed original than the "fuzzy" reproductions, PLUS it ends up being less money (CASOs rule :!:)

Here's the engine...

http://i706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire%20Slideshow%203/SAM_2207.jpg

I need some air cleaner ideas. I would really like to run a stock 4 barrel air cleaner, but I believe with the spacer under the Edelbrock and then the adapter that would be needed on the top of the carb, it won't clear the hood. I'd like something that looks kindasorta stock, however. A chromed one would not be in keeping with the rest of the engine compartment. I had this little aftermarket one laying around and just scuffed it and rattle canned it. It's OK, but there must be something better.

More pics here...

Slideshow (http://s706.photobucket.com/albums/ww63/dstnkmp/1963%20Wagonaire%20Slideshow%203/?albumview=slideshow)

Studedude
06-09-2012, 05:53 PM
As always, great show, Dick!

StudeMichael
06-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Is that color Corvette (classic) white?

Dick Steinkamp
06-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Is that color Corvette (classic) white?

Pat called it "Avanti White". The original color was "Ermine White", and I have a feeling they are identical.

bezhawk
06-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Beautiful....on the air cleaner, someone posted a pic of a top made from a small Studebaker poverty hubcap. It looked totally awesome and custom.

mbstude
06-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Dick, it looks great.

I'd be hard pressed to run a custom air cleaner. With everything else pretty close to stock, anything custom just wouldn't look right.

Is there any way to lower the hood down in the front? That gap between the hood and the header panel takes away from it, IMO.

I seem to remember creating extra work for you on the Kart Hauler's hood fit, too. <grin>

Dick Steinkamp
06-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Beautiful....on the air cleaner, someone posted a pic of a top made from a small Studebaker poverty hubcap. It looked totally awesome and custom.

I saw that one and love it!....but I don't think it would be the right thing in this otherwise stock engine compartment. Too much bling.

Dick Steinkamp
06-09-2012, 09:25 PM
Dick, it looks great.

I'd be hard pressed to run a custom air cleaner. With everything else pretty close to stock, anything custom just wouldn't look right.

Is there any way to lower the hood down in the front? That gap between the hood and the header panel takes away from it, IMO.

I seem to remember creating extra work for you on the Kart Hauler's hood fit, too. <grin>

I agree completely about the air cleaner. I just need to figure out something that LOOKS stock but fits under the hood.

On the hood fit. I don't have any of the latch pieces in place, so it is just sitting on the little rubber bumpers on the sides. I think it will fit fine with it latched.

s1b
06-09-2012, 09:38 PM
UUHHMMM WOW! looks great!

candbstudebakers
06-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Dick, you don't need the spacer under the carb, just clip the lower part of the linkage hook up, an R-1 would fit and look ok and you can get the different lower base from SI, could also get an old one and paint it black so as not to look to bright...Bob

Andy R.
06-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Beautiful! I doubt many left the factory with as close attention to detail.
FWIW, my other '62 Hawk is Ermine White. It's that ever so slightly off-white that hardly shows dust.

junior
06-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Regarding the air cleaner....what dia. was the stock Studebaker one? If it was 14" how about locating an old aftermarket air cleaner with the dropped base and mating it with the top part of the stock Stude one? Something like those old gold Moroso ones from the 80's comes to mind...those bases dropped over and down around the carb to increase air flow is what I think the claim to fame was. The wagon is really coming along and looking sharp...Regards, Junior.

Dick Steinkamp
06-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Dick, you don't need the spacer under the carb, just clip the lower part of the linkage hook up, an R-1 would fit and look ok and you can get the different lower base from SI, could also get an old one and paint it black so as not to look to bright...Bob

Thanks for the idea, Bob. I'll do it. Save me a stock 4 barrel air cleaner. Hopefully with just the big to small adapter on top of the carb, the stock 4 barrel air cleaner will fit under the hood.

Beautiful! I doubt many left the factory with as close attention to detail.
FWIW, my other '62 Hawk is Ermine White. It's that ever so slightly off-white that hardly shows dust.

I'm going to have to get this car next to an Ermine White one. Sounds like it may be whiter than Ermine White. In any case, it's a color Studebaker SHOULD HAVE used in 63 even if they didn't ;)

Regarding the air cleaner....what dia. was the stock Studebaker one? If it was 14" how about locating an old aftermarket air cleaner with the dropped base and mating it with the top part of the stock Stude one? Something like those old gold Moroso ones from the 80's comes to mind...those bases dropped over and down around the carb to increase air flow is what I think the claim to fame was.

Thanks Junior. I'll check out the measurements. I think the reason for the dropped base was for hood clearance...which would be a good thing in my case.

starliner62
06-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Dick, that car looks terrible. Send it to me so I can detail it for you. I'll give it back..........sometime!:rolleyes:

sweetolbob
06-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Posted by Dick Steinkamp
I need some air cleaner ideas. I would really like to run a stock 4 barrel air cleaner, but I believe with the spacer under the Edelbrock and then the adapter that would be needed on the top of the carb, it won't clear the hood. I'd like something that looks kindasorta stock, however. A chromed one would not be in keeping with the rest of the engine compartment. I had this little aftermarket one laying around and just scuffed it and rattle canned it. It's OK, but there must be something better.

Dick

I can completely understand the reduction in enthusiasm as other things appear.

I just returned from 8 days of walleye fishing in Canada and with golf season and the grandkids sports it's getting harder to find the time and drive to keep the 74 Avanti on schedule. Having the 83 to drive just makes finishing the 74 lower on the priority list.

I agree with Junior about a low hood clearance stock type air cleaner.

Here are a couple of shots of the 74 Avanti air cleaner. If it's close, as you know, they are basically Camaro type units. This one is 15 1/2" in diameter and a mounting height of 3 3/4" above the carb. The thermo air unit could removed or a later unit found that does not have it. This will give you the stock type snorkel if you wish. The wrecking yards should have quite a few of these to chose from.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/74%20Avanti/P1020010.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh263/sweetolbob/74%20Avanti/P1020011.jpg

I just opened up the front third on my 83 for max air flow.

Good Luck, Bob

Dick Steinkamp
06-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I can completely understand the reduction in enthusiasm as other things appear.

I just returned from 8 days of walleye fishing in Canada and with golf season and the grandkids sports it's getting harder to find the time and drive to keep the 74 Avanti on schedule. Having the 83 to drive just makes finishing the 74 lower on the priority list.

It's OK, though. I don't want to feel like I HAVE to work on the wagon. It would take some of the fun out of it. It will get done. Like yours...they always do. Also, I just started a consulting gig in Southern California. I'm home most weekends, but that will further delay the wagon depending upon how long the assignment lasts.

I was never crazy about my jobs. I liked them well enough, but more as a means to an end than the end itself. I was always jealous about friends that were doing EXACTLY what they wanted to be doing with the work they did. Consulting is different for me, however. I LOVE it! Interesting, varied, exciting, no employees, relatively short term. This one is with an aircraft manufacturer with a leading edge product. I'd hate to say more fun than wrenching on a Studebaker....but close.

I agree with Junior about a low hood clearance stock type air cleaner.

Here are a couple of shots of the 74 Avanti air cleaner. If it's close, as you know, they are basically Camaro type units. This one is 15 1/2" in diameter and a mounting height of 3 3/4" above the carb. The thermo air unit could removed or a later unit found that does not have it. This will give you the stock type snorkel if you wish. The wrecking yards should have quite a few of these to chose from.

Another good idea. The trick is probably to find one that looks "retro" enough, BUT with the larger opening for the later 4 barrels. On the one you show, I could also cut off the snorkel behind the thermo air unit which may make it look a little more retro.

Sdude
06-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Dick - You Da Man. If I was a Studebaker, I'd want YOU to own me......

junior
06-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Dick, regarding the Moroso for low profile yes, but also improved flow, check out the lower diagrams in this link...from what I remember back in the day in Hot Rod mag. adverts....seems like every car had one of these air cleaners, don't see a whole lot of them around any more. Cheers Junior.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=34920

kmac530
06-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Dick,
WOW.
For not being focused on that car, you sure are doing a stunning job.
You are the man.

sweetolbob
06-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Posted by Dick Steinkamp
I was never crazy about my jobs. I liked them well enough, but more as a means to an end than the end itself. I was always jealous about friends that were doing EXACTLY what they wanted to be doing with the work they did. Consulting is different for me, however. I LOVE it! Interesting, varied, exciting, no employees, relatively short term. This one is with an aircraft manufacturer with a leading edge product. I'd hate to say more fun than wrenching on a Studebaker....but close

Great to hear!! I was lucky to start my employment with The Dow Chemical Company when it was a "small" company (less than .5 Billion Dollars) and had it grow up around me. I never made it near the top echelon but I always had work that was challenging and had impact on the bottom line from technician to Chemist to R&D Engineering and Fabrication Superintendent, as some examples. I always enjoyed ( read: Loved ) what I did (some days more that others, I must admit) due to the challenges and support from a number of folks I worked for or with over the years. It provided me with travel all over the world in support of our technical endeavors and provided my family with the resources to get them a quality education.

Now that I'm retired I see more and more that I was blessed with a job that I loved as I hear from more and more folks about their employment history.

I apologize for the OT soliloquy but I wanted to again say I'm glad you have found a challenging and rewarding opportunity and do understand what you mean when you say rewarding.

Bob

Dick Steinkamp
06-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Dick, regarding the Moroso for low profile yes, but also improved flow, check out the lower diagrams in this link...from what I remember back in the day in Hot Rod mag. adverts....seems like every car had one of these air cleaners, don't see a whole lot of them around any more. Cheers Junior.

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/categorydisplay.asp?catcode=34920

Right on Junior...

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/images/aircleaners_draw.jpg

It's a good thing, but maybe not too important for 259 cubic inches at 5,000 RPM ;)

Starlight
06-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Pat called it "Avanti White". The original color was "Ermine White", and I have a feeling they are identical.

Dick......Ermine white and Avanti white are two different animals, just went thru that with my 64 Commander....Avanti white is more yellowish than ermine white.....Had O'Reillys match it up, they got awfully close on it.......Keep on Studebakering

SN-60
06-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Well, if looking 'too nice' can be a problem with a car, this Wagonaire definitely has that problem!

swvalcon
06-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Very nice job Dick. Should get lots of looks and be fun to drive.

Dick Steinkamp
06-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Well, if looking 'too nice' can be a problem with a car, this Wagonaire definitely has that problem!

Thanks, but I had a pretty good running start with this one due to the work Pat had already done...and the fact that he started with an absolutely never any rust desert car.

58PackardWagon
06-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Extremely nice work Dick.

paintim613
06-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Oh well, just another typical Steinkamp Stude=Perfection.

pdrnec
06-11-2012, 09:54 PM

That's it exactly. Have the same color on my Daytona.

Studeous
06-12-2012, 12:01 AM
Beautiful ! A definite first cousin to the 53.
Like my friend's Pappy Daddy said when trying to sell me a car.
"It ain't black,but it's white"