PDA

View Full Version : Old cars.........not for the average Joe or Jane for that matter...to a potential female buyer:-)

Hawklover
06-09-2012, 04:01 PM
You may not realize that 'operating' old vehicles is not the same as driving them.

Modern cars almost drive themselves, have very little fuel problems like vapor lock, detonation etc..........they (old cars) have to be 'driven'.....constantly having both hands on the wheel, which means you never have the feeling of being in a sofa that has wheels under it.

Indeed, my car is basically a soap box mounted atop a large vee-eight engine......bumps rattles squeaks (not to mention the ride of a Mack truck) are the norm not the exception....are we having fun yet ??? .........and the clutch, how could I forget the clutch............you had better be in possession of some mighty athletic legs ......for clutch pedal actuation.......beautifully shaped feminine legs of a woman do not count!!:(

JimC
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Hey, women used to have no problem driving these cars!

That's what I said to my wife after she drove the '63 for about 500 feet and stopped, saying she wasn't "able to do this". She had never been in a car without power steering or power brakes (for that matter, she's never owned a car without air conditioning and power windows/locks), so I don't think she was prepared to actually feel something while you're driving. She'll try again another day, and maybe with a taste of what it's like, she'll be better prepared. (Plus, by then I hope to put slightly thinner tires on, do the brakes, and grease up the underside so it will handle a touch more smoothly!)

rockne10
06-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I don't know...
My '51 Commander, with automatic drive, feels a lot like driving my living room sofa.:D

I'll edit that to specify this is on the highway, not the back country chicanes or down town.

Milaca
06-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Ladies, I suggest that you give Hawklover a piece of your mind!

52hawk
06-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Well,I drive a Mack truck 40 or so hours a week,and I can tell you my Hawk rides 100 times better than the Mack! [but yeah,it does have some rattles and sqeaks]

63 R2 Hawk
06-09-2012, 07:04 PM
I have a magazine ad from 1932 depicting a lady all dressed for the opera, exclaiming something about women love driving the new 1932 Studebaker. It had freewheel (forerunner to automatic transmission), adjustable seat and a Startix automatic start system. No power steering, A/C or power brakes (although Sudebaker came out with pwr brakes in 1933). I recently saw a video of a very elderly lady who still drives her early '30s (IIRC) Packard! My late wife drove my '32 Stude about a year before she passed away.

clonelark
06-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Reminds me of when i took my grand kids (age 4 & 7) for a ride in my 64 Commander. they said it had funny windows because they had to roll em up.

DEEPNHOCK
06-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Well,I drive a Mack truck 40 or so hours a week,and I can tell you my Hawk rides 100 times better than the Mack! [but yeah,it does have some rattles and sqeaks]

Tell me it's a B model and I'll be impressed:rolleyes:

crusinsusin
06-09-2012, 08:30 PM
All I have to say is this lady owns two cars - a 2012 Buick and a 1964 Cruiser. I was well aware of the difference before I bought the Stude. I'll take vent windows over A/C any day. And a full size spare tire. And a driver's seat that supports the back of my knees. And great rear vision. And...

Corvanti
06-09-2012, 09:03 PM
dude, ("hawklover") are you serious? :ohmy:

i thought i'd find a reference to something written in the early 50's about pre WWI "old cars"... :rolleyes:

rockne10
06-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Tell me it's a B model and I'll be impressed:rolleyes:Been towed by a B model on several occasions.

JBOYLE
06-10-2012, 12:17 AM
The average driver today wouldn't know what a manual choke is for...let alone a floor mounted starter or for really old guys, how to use a Model T planetary transmission.

When I was a kid, my older sisters had a high school teacher whose husband drove a Ferrari 330 GTC. She mentioned the difficulty of learning how to drive a 5-speed (that was 2 gears more than most people had at the time). And remember, disc brakes were pretty exotic until the late 60s.
Last week I washed my Bearcat and as usual, water got into the front drums so I had to drive it to dry them off. And yes, the brakes pulled like a son of a gun until they dried. Today's ABS and electronic stability program spoiled drivers wouldn't what to make of something like that.

We have to have a different skill set than the "average" modern driver. And that's fine.
The challenge is part of the fun.

Andy R.
06-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Though she now prefers modern comfort/safety features, my awesome wife learned how to use a manual transmission with a '65 VW Bug...in San Francisco!

I recall a Repair Manual stating the best safety feature of a Beetle is a clean windshield!

Hawklover
06-10-2012, 04:44 AM
My fellow Stude 'freaks'..........this little ditty was sent to a 59 yr old woman who drives a new Honda coupe...........she wanted to 'understand' what my car was all about......thinking of getting a "Sunday head turner" (her words)..........as her former husband (divorced for 20 yrs) had some kind of "sport car".

I was flattered that she was interested (in the car dudes, the car:-) ) but felt this is not who I want to sell the Stude to........as of yet she has not written back to me.....and I would be hard pressed to sell the car even if the money were 'there'...........this gal needs to drive a modern 'ride'.........not a 50 yr old Stude!

Nox
06-10-2012, 05:07 AM
My woman Sonja has been driving a lot of old cars, the oldest daily drivers was a -46 Chevy truck, but also & more, a -50 Chrysler Windsor, but yeah, mostly 60's cars & that's aside sometimes driving other peoples modern cars.
& ofcourse we've had pretty new cars from time to time but it always comes down to the same thought: "Why?"

A neighbor woman got totally annoyed by *** "quality" cars when again her modern car recently broke down for the 5:th time... & she's always drove modern cars...
So she bought a -63 Dodge Dart!
Push-button automatic gearbox & even thou it's such a light little car (like Studebaker), it's got power steering.
You have a guess if she's happy...? For sure!
But yeah, she's only about 35 or so.

Nox
06-10-2012, 05:12 AM
I could write a (small) book 'bout women driving real cars, including my own Sonja, & that even after &/or at the same time as being used to modern stuff!

Bud
06-10-2012, 07:51 AM
My girlfriend drives a 63 Lark with a 259. It does have an auto transmission and power steering , but no power brakes. She liked to drive my 1955 Ford Fairlane with a 272, 3 speed overdrive and no power brakes or power steering. She got upset when I sold it a couple of years ago. There are a few women that appreciate the old cars and like to drive them as much as we do. Bud