Wrecked the Avanti last night :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecked the Avanti last night :(

Bias tires and a sharp bend on a freshly grated dirt road equals a really crappy studebaker day. I'm ok but the Avanti is far from it. I hit a large rotten stump witch was bad but it kept me from rolling the car over down another 15 feet into the woods.

The oil pan is shot the radiator is pushed into the fan the rear pass side wheel is sitting way to high into the wheel well while drivers side is about 3 inches lower. Alot more cracks in the front end around the wheelwells that don't show up in the pics

The only GOOD news is that the wheels are fine! I was so relieved when I pulled it out and found the wheels were ok.

John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Ow Ow OW!!!
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ouch John, that is a heart breaker, but glad you're not hurt. First thing I did when I ram'd a Windstar was jump out and see if it broke my headlight covers, ( it did, of course ) so I understand the wheels deal too. Did the "wrecker" wreck it anymore than it was ? Sometimes that's almost as bad, of course sometimes it can't be helped too. So sorry about this, good luck.

Comment

So sorry to see that but I am very glad you are OK. It looks like your right front tire rolled off the rim.

My dad almost rolled a 1950 Starlight coupe with Seiberling bias ply wide white tires with the whole family in the car. I thought we were goners, but he managed to steer into it (there was some room), and we missed going down a very big gully.

I have radial tires on all my cars that I drive seriously. Unfortunately, they don't look as good.
        Last edited by 55s; 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Oh.. Ouch.

Michael Float, don't look.
          Last edited by mbstude; 06-06-2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Oh no. Is that the recently sold R4 Avanti? Bummer. Glad you are OK.
            Last edited by studefan; 06-06-2012, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Oh my. Glad you are ok. That's painful to look at.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Also very glad you were not hurt! It looks very fixable... but sorry it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
                  The only GOOD news is that the wheels are fine!
                  The good news is that you are in one piece and able to relate the story.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
                    Ouch John, that is a heart breaker, but glad you're not hurt. First thing I did when I ram'd a Windstar was jump out and see if it broke my headlight covers, ( it did, of course ) so I understand the wheels deal too. Did the "wrecker" wreck it anymore than it was ? Sometimes that's almost as bad, of course sometimes it can't be helped too. So sorry about this, good luck.
                    No wrecker I was a half mile from my house so I pulled it out with the cummins and lifted the front end up with the kubota and drug it home.
                    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Holy crap on a stick... glad you're safe... if I had the parts to fix that I's gladly give them to you..man that sucks

Comment

Just how fast were you going??
                        sigpic
                        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                          Just how fast were you going??
                          Not very it I have taken that bend a thousand times since I've lived here (20 years) at the same speed. But it was the first time in a Stude and this is the first car I've EVER had with bias tires. I really think the major culprit was the freshly grated road. The hill I was coming down was not grated but there is another road that connects right on the bend. That road and the one I turned onto were grated. I never seen it coming.
                          John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

Comment

Terrible thing to happen but you weren't hurt. I had an accident last year in my Avanti so I know how you feel. Doesn't make things sound any better but that's what insurance is for. Hope it fixed up good as new.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Ow, that sucks, Johnny B. Glad you're OK.
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X