Front fender lights on 63 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Front fender lights on 63 Avanti

When are the front fender side lights on a 63 Avanti supposed to come on? Do they come on with the parking/headlights or flash with the turn signals?, The front wiring on this car looked like "back lash" on a fishing reel when it was disassembled and there is no reference to these side lights in the manual. Ken. Deltaville, Va

Studebaker Avantis did not have side marker lights. They became available on the Avanti 11s. They used Nissan then switshed to AMC units. My '81 has AMC side marker lights. Sounds like someone was "working" on your car before you bought it.

Comment

Side lights were not required until the 1968 model year and that is when Avanti first used them. I have seen them on earlier Avantis - either added or replacement front fenders. They should come on with the park/head lights, not the directional signals.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I believe ken-renda is asking when the fender mounted directional signals should be 'ON', and the long and short of it is they work as 'parking' lights and 'directional' signals. They are not 'running' lights that come on
        whenever the headlights are turned on. (although they can be easily wired to work that way) ('63,'64 Studebaker Avanti)

Comment

thanks, this all makes sense. When the body work was performed there were tell tale signs that at least the front three feet of the passenger side front inner and outer fender had been replaced, but I do not know enough about Avanti to be sure at that time. Replacement had to have happened prior to 1977 as the car had not need driven since that time. Had I known this at the time of the frame off, the hole would have been filled in, but I am going to keep them and connect to parking light. Thanks again, Ken, Deltaville Va

Comment

Originally posted by ken-renda View Post
            thanks, this all makes sense. When the body work was performed there were tell tale signs that at least the front three feet of the passenger side front inner and outer fender had been replaced, but I do not know enough about Avanti to be sure at that time. Replacement had to have happened prior to 1977 as the car had not need driven since that time. Had I known this at the time of the frame off, the hole would have been filled in, but I am going to keep them and connect to parking light. Thanks again, Ken, Deltaville Va
            They may well be original and not replaced...if you look in the parts manual it shows the outer fenders are two pieces and joined the the top of the wheel opening arch. All outer replacement fenders I've seen (reproductions or Avanti II NOS) are one piece.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
            X