No announcement yet.

Seat Belt Installation Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Seat Belt Installation Tips?

Hello All,

I have a set of Studebaker seatbelts that I need to install in my '60 Lark convertible. Are there any tips anyone would care to pass along as to a good way to do this? For instance, are there any designed-in anchor points, or recommended places to drill holes, etc.? Any suggestions on any reinforcing plates that might help keep things together in the event of an accident or anything like that?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry K

Mabe you'll get lucky and someone will see your thread that has a page of factory instructions that came in the box with the belts. Those give a recommended location for mounting the eye-bolts. Depending on the location, I would use an extra large flat washer or a piece of 1/4 plate steel for back up. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
    Auburn, GA

Comment

1962 and later cars have the factory installed tapped mounting plates. Whenever I install seat belts in a '61 or earlier Studebaker, I measure the locations from a '62 or later car for reference. This locates them in the ideal spot, and assures that you are missing the frame rails, etc.
      New seat belt hardware kits should include a large thick washer that would be used when the mounting is just though the sheet metal floor pan as opposed to the factory threaded mounts.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I don't have access to a newer car to take measurements from, but that would be a good idea. I'll have to crawl underneath and see what I can see.

Take care,

Jerry K

Comment

Some SDC member in the Seattle area must have a '62, '63 or '64 Lark convertible that you can measure! (I currently only have a '61 convertible, so I am no help for factory locations)

Comment

One small suggestion: the inner belts should be close to vertical between the seat and the mounting bolt when the front seat is adjusted all the way back.
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Before you start, contact the Keeper of the Instructions and Templates and ask for AC-3109.............
              Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain, by this do you mean Andy Beckman at the archives, and does AC-3109 have a template for these locations? (I have a '57 Golden Hawk and will be facing the same problem as NashTwin8)
                Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
                Before you start, contact the Keeper of the Instructions and Templates and ask for AC-3109.............
                http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm

Comment

The SNM Archives may have them too, but I was referring to a collection that belongs to SDC and is currently being kept by Daniel Smith. See URL above. AC-3109 is shown as 1959-61 cars. I think your '57 Hawk uses a completely different seat belt.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain & all,

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'll give that link a try. A template would sure be helpful.

Take care,

Jerry K

Comment

Dwain,

Thanks for your great suggestion. I'm sending in my order today!

Take care,

Jerry K

Comment

Working...
                      X