Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Article: The Volcano and the Studebaker- Where's the Missing Link?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article: The Volcano and the Studebaker- Where's the Missing Link?

Interesting angle. Be sure to read the comments at the bottom, including from designer Howard Payne:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Great article! A quick read too.

Comment

As with so many articles like that, the comments section is about as interesting as the article itself.

'Good find and a good read. Thanx. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice find Bob. I'm afraid that the vast majority of people who read this article won't go to the comments section and a poorly researched article will end up with another rumor similar in vein to the "Ford made the 289 V-8" we all hear will be the result (Studebaker stole the design for the 53 from Ford) instead of the reality of the 53 Studebaker being influential in automotive design.

In defense of the author, I could understand the excitement (and actually appreciate that he recognized the c-pillar design) if someone had handed me a photo and attributed it to 1949. If it were a source trusted to the author I could see running with it with all sort of excitement. What a find it could have been.
        Dave Nevin
        Corvallis, OR
        1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
        Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

I am glad to see the dating on the photo moved up from 1949 to 1955. It would be good if Hemmings made the correction in the basic article. Being Hemmings, that likely won't happen.

By "Ed Herman", they probably mean Edward E. Herrmann. Mr. Herrmann worked for IH, Lycoming, Studebaker, Loewy and then Studebaker again. Herrmann worked with Tucker Madawick at Studebaker. Mr. Madawick did work for Ford, but left in 1946. Mr. Madawick was involved in the design of the Tucker and moved to Loewy in 1947. They (Ed & Tucker) both first worked together (met) while working on the 1953 Studebaker project. Madawick left in 1959 to join RCA. Mr. Herrmann is known (by me) as the designer of the S-P-nik, now known as the Astral (owned by the SNM, displayed at the Peterson).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I am glad to see the dating on the photo moved up from 1949 to 1955. It would be good if Hemmings made the correction in the basic article. Being Hemmings, that likely won't happen.

Mr. Herrmann is known (by me) as the designer of the S-P-nik, now known as the Astral (owned by the SNM, displayed at the Peterson).
            Those concept designs admittedy did look a little too modern for 1949. Ford didn't even come out with a 2 door hardtop body style until 1951.

I posted a few photos of the Astral here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=astral

Craig

Comment

Working...
            X