Chattering wiper blades... Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chattering wiper blades... Any ideas?

I dunno.... They are new blades, thE windshield is spotlessly clean, and the blades grab and chatter especially on low. Any ideas?

You might try cleaning and re-lubing the arms, under the dash. I've used white lithium grease with successful results.

Comment

You might also try a good glass sealant like RainX, Griot's Glass Sealant or some other brand available. Clean glass can also cause blades to drag and chatter.

I've found using the cleaner made for glass top ranges works great...it cleans very well and leaves a coating that water runs off fast and wiper blades glide over. It's easily available in grocery stores.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

There are also springs inside your wiper arms.
        If they get tired, chattering can happen.
        I have bought replacement springs, and once bought replacement arms to rob them of their springs.
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          There are also springs inside your wiper arms.
          If they get tired, chattering can happen.
          I have bought replacement springs, and once bought replacement arms to rob them of their springs.
          I have even used the old fashioned arm helper springs that mount over the arms on a 1953.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Do they grab and chatter in both directions ?
            If they only do in one direction they may need a twist.
            Twist the arm. Hold the base, twist the end of the arm slightly opposite to the direction the wiper chatters so the blade "flips" and drags.
            The blade should flip at the end of each swipe
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Does" new blades" mean just the rubber inserts? I have replaced the rubber inserts and still had blade chatter, I fixed it by gently squeezing the wiper frame pivot point in a vise to minimize side play. I've also found it helps to thoroughly clean the windshield. I use 0000 steel wool and vinegar, followed by glass stripper. Rain-X works if the glass is smooth, even a little pitting from years of sand contact causes Rain-X to leave a smear trail as the wiper passes.

Comment

I also had another thought. By new blades, do you mean brand new rubber or NOS or NORS that has been stored somewhere for awhile?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I second the Rain-X suggestion. I use it on all my cars.

Comment

There's more love/hate with rain x than any product made. I used it decades ago and thought it slaughtered my super blades...but didn't remember chattering. So the wipers didnt work when I first got it, and it appeared to have good rubber blades. I put the rain x on and the rain blew off but then the wipers started working. OK for awhile then chatter. So I polished clean the windshield with rottonstone and washed it clean and that sucker is Clean. New trico classic blades but I swapped out the inserts for my wipers were an older style. I like the oven top cleaner idea I think the problem is "too clean"The new blades never touched rain x

Comment

When I worked at a Cadillac dealership they just used regular car wax on the windshields. I've done it myself for years with good results.
                      59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                      60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                      61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                      62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                      62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                      63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                      63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                      64 Zip Van
                      66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                      66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by 64V19816 View Post
                        There's more love/hate with rain x than any product made. I used it decades ago and thought it slaughtered my super blades...<snip>
                        Rain-X is indeed hard on wiper blades/arms.
                        I run it on the Yellow POS, and it killed my blade and arm...
                        Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Curiosity piqued... How does Rain-X hurt the wiper blades/arms?
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

I think that everone is entitled to their own opinion regarding if they think a product works for them the way they want/expect it to, but I also think any suggestions that Rain-X ruins wiper blades needs to be chalked up to Urban Legend. The stuff has been around for quite some time, and if there was any documented evidence that the product ruined something that it is constant contact with, there would have been a class action lawsuit a long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X