South Beach classics on Velocity Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Beach classics on Velocity Channel

I was channel surfing and ran across the show called South Beach Classics. The owner and his wife were selling/trading vehicles at the car corral at Daytona. He had a 62 GT Hawk, nice project car, solid starting point. He had a guy that was trading back(bought at South Beach a year earlier) a 66 Cutlass Convert for the Hawk. The whole point was/is that he said the Hawk had a 289 that was the same that came in the Mustang, making it sound as if the Studebaker had a FORD engine in it. Accident on his part? Or ignorance?

Accident on his part? Or ignorance?

Yes it is...both..
    Unless there was an engine swap..doubtful..

Comment

When talking to mainstream car guys, I've noticed that mentioning "289", most will just assume "Oh, It's a Ford...".
      Current projects: '56 Stude Power Hawk

Future projects: '56 Stude Sky Hawk ; '68 Buick Electra 225 ; '53 International R-110 P/U

Comment

Ignorance!
        Orlando FLA

Comment

Many non car people don't have a clue what the cubic inch number means or how it is measured. Even a lot of so called car people don't have a clue either.
          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

At least that 'South Beach' Guy acknowledges Studebakers. 'High End' Wayne Carini ignores them (Chasing Classic Cars).
            Last edited by SN-60; 06-02-2012, 04:54 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by parts View Post
              Accident on his part? Or ignorance?

Yes it is...both..
              Unless there was an engine swap..doubtful..
              No engine swap, he popped the hood, it was a Stude 289. Black engine, yellow valve covers, small single snorkel air cleaner. Engine looked freshly painted.

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Challenger View Post
                No engine swap, he popped the hood, it was a Stude 289. Black engine, yellow valve covers, small single snorkel air cleaner. Engine looked freshly painted.
                I have one of these, still mated to a tranny... She's my power plant for the Sky Hawk
                Current projects: '56 Stude Power Hawk

Future projects: '56 Stude Sky Hawk ; '68 Buick Electra 225 ; '53 International R-110 P/U

Comment

Originally posted by 64 Challenger View Post
                  The whole point was/is that he said the Hawk had a 289 that was the same that came in the Mustang, making it sound as if the Studebaker had a FORD engine in it. Accident on his part? Or ignorance?
                  This was on last night as a repeat. White GT Hawk, right?
                  It was funny.
                  I think he must have meant that the Ford has the Studebaker engine in it (haha).
                  He obviously has no clue as to the value of Studebaker cars, if you look at what is for sale and has sold on his website. It seems he likes to trade anyway, and the value is kinda out the window on those deals.

He also has a 62 Studebaker Skylark on his website inventory, and for way too much money unless it's got gold plating under the hood or interior.
                  Oops!
                  Last edited by gohdes; 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    At least that 'South Beach' Guy acknowledges Studebakers. 'High End' Wayne Carini ignores them (Chasing Classic Cars).
                    Wayne did have/sell a 57 Packard Wagon on one episode a year or so ago, nice car, I forget what it brought.
                    JS
                    Last edited by LarkTruck; 07-14-2012, 01:58 PM.
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
                      Wayne did have/sell a 57 Packard Wagon on one episode a year or so ago, nice car, I forget what it brought.
                      JS
                      Wayne has lost money on a couple Stude's. He overprices his reserve, and pays too much to acquire the car just because he "likes" it. That's fine if your keeping it, but not if your gonna whine that it didn't bring 50K at an auction!

Comment

That a supposed "car guy/expert" not knowing that Stude had a 289...well, it pretty much reconfirms my opinions of reality show "stars".
                        Most of them are morons...because the shows value "characters" more than knowledge..or even common sense.

Do what I did...quit watching them.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think this discussion just points out that there are car experts and people that know how to buy and sell cars. Wayne Carini has a successful business because he knows a lot about Ferraris and is knowledgeable enough about the buying and selling classic cars to make a successful business from it. The couple from South Beach Classics probably couldn't tell a 348 W-block from a 350 SBC but are close enough to the business end to be able to make a substantial living in a way similar to Wayne Carini. I'd take either of their financial positions and burn mine.

I, for one, expect judges at Studebaker meets and the general knowledgeable folks on this forum to know these 289 things (and other things Studebaker ) but 99.99% of the general population don't give a cr@p about them and to expect any more from the Vox Populi is ridiculous.

I am growing weary of every time some one makes a Stude related comment that is not correct a portion of the forum just can't get over the fact they should be so uninformed. I think the only solution is we make a list of the facts that are incorrect and give them numbers. When someone makes a error that is on the list, the first forum member to see it just posts the appropriate number and anyone agreeing would only need to post the same number with a exclamation mark to show their disdain for the comments.

That way, we'd save a ton of typing and could spend the time gained solving members problems and telling forum members how neat their current projects are.

Life will be better if we match our expectations with the reality of most car folks

Bob

Comment

#1!!!!
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948
                            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                            X